Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

MBAM update problem...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

Dear Person:...

I have a problem updating MBAM....I have the newest version available...I get error code 732 (0,0)...
I have just been cleared by Mr. TomK (GREAT Tech ) at the Infections Removal Forum , so there's NO virus , trojans , etc , involved....
He & I tried all sorts of things to get it to update...NO luck....
Since he cleared me , I contacted MBAM.com directly...
They sent the following reply..===>

The solution listed below applies to the following issues encountered when using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
*Updating- Error 732 (0,0)
*General Protection Module errors
*General Start up issues
*General 'freezing' or 'hanging'
*Instances where the program scans and 'disappears'(specific to Trend Micro users).

Please check to see if your antivirus\antispyware software and your firewall for an exclusion or 'white listing' option, please add the following Malwarebytes files:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

The problem for me now is that I do not know how to do any of the above....
I need step by step instructions...I'm not that computer sav vy...

My computer is a Dell GX280 SFF with Win XP Pro SP 3....
I have Avast! (Active at ALL times) & Windows Firewall....
Any other info you need , please ask & I will comply....

THANK you VERY much in anticipation of your future help-.... :)

Later....Ron.M.... :popcorn: ...... B) ...

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

Hi Ron M,

Below I offer a recommendation that is "less than" responsive to your request, but may point you in the right direction.

First, please consider that though MalwareBytes has "suggested" that various real-time AV products "may be flagging" various MalwareBytes related files in a way that "might" interfere with full correct function of MalwareBytes, including ability to update... We don't know for sure that the problem you are experiencing can be explained in this manner.

Still, the procedure and instructions given by MalwareBytes is accurate and safe.
Hey... It might even be effective. :)

Now... how to accomplish the steps in your AV --- AVAST! ....

So far I've found the following:

To add files to Avast for exclusion from scanning, go to settings (click on up arrow top left select settings). In the list is option for exclusions with help link if needed.

or from AVAST! Forum: http://forum.avast.c...p?topic=37986.0

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

Not exactly a "step-by-step" but it may head you in the right direction to be able to add all of the lines listed by MalwareBytes in their communication to you. Might just be enough to help you figure it out for yourself.

I don't presently have AVAST installed on a Test Bed machine, so I can't walk it through for you.
I do expect to fire up a fresh Test Bed machine in a few days, and will install AVAST! just for the exercise of it.

In the meantime, another Tech who does presently have AVAST! installed, is likely to come along to give you more complete instructions.

The fortunate part of your question is that due to the fine work of TomK, your machine has been found to be clean and clear of malware.

Therefore this Topic is an "annoyance" and not an "emergency".

Please be patient. Someone with the necessary familiarity will soon come by to reply.
Or I'll soon have a test bed and will circle back to pick up the topic again with you. :)
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

Doug:...

I agree with 100% of your reply & THANK you for it....

After figureing out what Avast says here:==>

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button..

After clicking on "Customize" , the "Advanced" tab is nowhere to be found...
I have the "Standard Shield"....
The "a" blue icon they refer to is IN the system tray next to the clock....
NOT on the desktop or on the program after you open it up...

Still, the procedure and instructions given by MalwareBytes is accurate and safe.

Since it arrived from a bonifide legitimate source , I have NO fear...

Therefore this Topic is an "annoyance" and not an "emergency"

I TOTALLY AGREE....

Please be patient. Someone with the necessary familiarity will soon come by to reply.
Or I'll soon have a test bed and will circle back to pick up the topic again with you.

NOT a problem....I'll wait it out.....The rest of my computer seems OK at this time & MBAM is not life or death situation...

THANKS again for your VERY informative reply..... :thumbup:

Later....Ron.M.... :popcorn: ..... B) .....

#4 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 04:20 PM

Doug & ???.....

Well , now we have an additional problem....
When I got clearance from Mr.TomK at the HJT forum , he advised me to update my Java file.....
More fun !!!....
First;...What IS java & do I need it...????......What does it do ???
Now for the fun part....
First , I fully removed the old version & ALL remnants...Then I tried to download the newer version...
I can NOT fully download Java OR install the offline OR online version.....(JRE-update 16)

One of the error notices I get is below==>
[attachment=5414:java_err..._9_06_09.jpg]
This one^^^^ I get when I try to install the setup file... ( ????)
The older version IS TOTALLY gone , so what do they want me to remove ???
When you try to contact Java support , you get a "Live Person" website with 3 techs that charge $0.50 + a minute to help fix THEIR problem with THEIR product....MAYBE !!! ...<_<
Further , there is NO error 1714 anywhere to be found at Java.com !!! ...:angry:

[attachment=5415:java_err..._9_06_09.jpg]
This one ^^^^ I get when I try to install the main file....
Says to go to a folder with the installation package....
Now the installation package gives me error code 1714 .!!!! ....:wacko:
Fellas, I was born at night BUT NOT last night !!!......... :rofl:

A simple little problem is getting more & more complex.... :pullhair:

Any help WILL be GREATLY appreciated.....

Later...Ron.M.... :popcorn: ..... B)

#5 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

Doug & Anyone else;....

Almost a month & NO replies.....tch , tch , tch.... :(

I've given up on the MBAM updates....
I've decided to wait till a newer version comes out...
I think there's a product screw-up with the update part...
I've "Googled" MBAM Error 732 & got the following:==>

http://www.google.co...oted-query-link

That search produced 2,170 results....
I'm nearly 100% convinced that my computer is NOT at fault....

I have Avast & SpyBot...BOTH are EXCELLENT programs.... :thumbup:
So it's not like I'm un-protected....
IF MBAM does not come out with a "fix" for the problem OR a new version , in a reasonable period of time , I WILL drop the program completely....

I'n not sure what to do about "Java"....
So far no one has given me a reason to have it OR what it's for...... :( .....
I currently do not have it....But some locations are asking for it...

WHAT GIVES....

Thanks VERY much....

Later...Ron.M.... :popcorn: ...... B) ...

Edited by Ron.M, 03 October 2009 - 12:10 PM.

#6 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

Hi Ron..

Sorry about the long delays in replies.

First, I think you might've taken the wrong direction with trying to reconfigure Avast. I can assure you, Avast will not block anything that is related to MBAM. MBAM over generalized their response to you. Those "exceptions" should be placed in the windows firewall settings in control panel. However, I find it highly unlikely this is the issue. You can simply disable Windows fireall temporarily, all together, in order to test that.

Now, there is a chance that you strictly use Mozilla Firefox, and therefore you may not have ever noticed that Internet Explorer is working in OFFLINE mode. If you open internet explorer, and click the "Tools" menu (there are two tools menu if running IE7 or newer, the one in the menu bar (file, edit, view, favorites, tools, help) and the one on the toolbar. The one on the tool bar (to the right) will have an option to "Work Offline." Make sure this is UNCHECKED. This will prevent MBAM from updating.

As far as your java problem goes, please go to add/remove programs in control panel. Uninstall ALL versions of Java you have installed. Any failures, please ignore.

Now, download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Once you install it, please run it from your "start menu." Find any entries listed for Java and remove them.

Now, please download the registry fix found here: http://forums.whatth...em_t104537.html and run it.

Now, please download and install the newest, offline version of the Java runtime environment here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Yes, you do need Java. It is used for many, many, many websites. Its just a programming language web developers (as well as others) can use.

Now, if you have any problems with Java, give me the detailed errors and when they occured. Thank you.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#7 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

appleoddity;..........Posted Image

1st, let me please clear up some things....

First, I think you might've taken the wrong direction with trying to reconfigure Avast. I can assure you, Avast will not block anything that is related to MBAM. MBAM over generalized their response to you.

I was led in that direction....I did NOT reconfigure Avast because I could not figure out how to do it &
did not want to screw up anything...

You can simply disable Windows fireall temporarily, all together, in order to test that.

I tried that & even disabled Avast temporarily...Did not work....

Now, there is a chance that you strictly use Mozilla Firefox, and therefore you may not have ever noticed that Internet Explorer is working in OFFLINE mode. If you open internet explorer, and click the "Tools" menu (there are two tools menu if running IE7 or newer, the one in the menu bar (file, edit, view, favorites, tools, help) and the one on the toolbar. The one on the tool bar (to the right) will have an option to "Work Offline." Make sure this is UNCHECKED. This will prevent MBAM from updating.

I do not use Mozilla Firefox....I have Internet Explorer - 7....I tried Firefox & ran website loading time tests against IE-7 & IE-7 blew Firefox away.....BTW: I can find only one "tools" menu for IE-7....Not a problem....

Now for Java.... Posted Image

I did exactly in order what you told me to..... NO hitches, no runs , NO errors.....
You have NO idea how much trouble I had gone thru trying to get Java installed...

Posted Image

appleoddity;... NO doubt you ARE a "Super Member"....

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your expertise & help....

Posted Image

Best Regards....Later.....Ron.M.... B) ....