Got this Dell Inspiron E1705, I suspect I may know the answer to this but needed to ask. In normal mode when windows trys to boot and when the xp logo shows up, windows reboots and same thing when it reboots again. NP here I say lets go to safe mode, uh o when booting into safe mode and windows logo shows up windows reboots over and over.
So cannot get into windows in normal mode nor in safe mode. The question is, is their a way or software that I can use to boot off a cd to run scans on the hard drive to see if theirs a virus in the boot sector or on the drive. Or is it that it's a format job ?
When you get the boot options instead of hitting safe mode first scroll down & hit disable automatic restarts. Then boot into safe mode. When it stops note and post back the last driver listed or if you get a blue screen tell us what the error is.
Got this Dell Inspiron E1705, I suspect I may know the answer to this but needed to ask. In normal mode when windows trys to boot and when the xp logo shows up, windows reboots and same thing. NP here I say lets go to safe mode, uh o when booting into safe mode and windows logo shows up windows reboots over and over.
So cannot get into windows in normal mode nor in safe mode. The question is, is their a way or software that I can use to boot off a cd to run scans on the hard drive to see if theirs a virus in the boot sector or on the drive. Or is is that it's a format job ?
Try pressing F12 right after a power on.
This should initiate the Dell Diagnostics.
Run the tests.
If worse comes to worse and if Dell did not provide an XP CD then you have a hidden partition which can be accessed for a Clean Install.
Disable the auto restart and here is what pops up:
Stop: c000021a {fatal system error} the windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with status of 0x0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has shut down
This is why I was asking of a way to run scans on the drive hooked up as a usb drive, this almost looks like a log on virus of which Vundofix would be used for or smithfraud, but the problem is they only run on the drive you install the programs to. Will wait and see, in the mean time copying the files off the drive because as I said it looks to me a format job.
Did the Dell Diagnostics and all checks on to the test.
Went ahead and took the hd out and hooked it up like a usb drive, copied the files that I needed and went ahead and formatted the drive. When trying to use the Recovery Console it was asking for a password and their was no password in the system, who knows with this crazy machine.
I tryed scanning the drive with AVG and it found 2 virus and used malware anti-malware bytes and it found a few, thought that it may have done it. The info that you gave me must have been the log in files could habe been messed up or infected, was seeing if their was a way to scan the drive with software, Vundo, Smithfraud does not work in a stand alone usb setting.
Thought they may have been other programs that may have worked to repair the drive. Like I said when trying to use the recovery console and it asked for the pass word I went what ?, o well Guess I got to format to get going to fix the machine.
Thanks for the help, and may you have a blessed day, It was worth a shot.
The recovery console requires the password for the administrator account. If you haven't set that then all you should need to do is just hit enter.
I know but it was asking for one, like I said who knows what happen to the crazy system, would not let me go futher because of the stupid password, never heard of a virus inputting one. But anyhow like I said the deed has been done back up and running and installing files back on the drive from a clean start.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI