This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Mal Hifrm

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Tomk, I followed the instructions. When I downloaded and ran OTC I did not see any list of tools or list of any kind. A small window opened and asked if I wanted to clean up, or something like that….I clicked to allow it….another small window opened saying that I would have to reboot my computer to finish cleaning up, do you want to reboot now?….I clicked on yes….computer rebooted. When my desktop came back on I thought that all the stuff I downloaded during this process would be gone, with the possible exception of dds, as you had mentioned. But the only thing that was gone was the OTC icon. Did I do something wrong, or did I misunderstand what was supposed to happen? :unsure:
kellsbells, Again it appears I could have made that clearer. Everything you did was correct. The only reason for mentioning the list was so you'd know what was happening when the internet was accessed. It doesn't provide you with a list. My intention was to remove everything except for Malwarebytes'. I suggest you keep that. Update it and run it once a month or so. It won't interfere with your other security tools and it uses no resources when it isn't running. I did forget about SysRestorePoint. I won't hurt anything to keep it but I doubt you'll use it so go ahead and delete it. What else did I forget? What else did I leave on your computer?
Sorry Tomk, I guess I misunderstood about that list thing. Here is what I still have, it's basically everything I've downloaded except the OTC. Are you able to view this .jpg? I hope so because I figured out how to "snip" all by myself! :yeah: Can I just right click and delete all this stuff? Should I keep anything other than Malwarebytes? 📎Capture.JPG
Thanks Tomk. I think I can handle that! If my computer is all clean now, may I first say :notworthy: Needless to say how much I appreciate your help. Then, may I take further advantage and pick your brain just a little more to clarify a couple of things that I've learned here for future reference, and ask some advice? ( I ask permission, but I'm asking anyway. ) My first question is what is the deal with "run as administrator"? First of all, what is the advantage, and secondly is it best to always open a program like that or are there just certain circumstances in which you would do it? My second question is about security software and it's a 2 parter. Obviously I'm one of those people who thought the more the better. But reading through some posts I see that the opposite is true. I am running Spyware Doctor w/Antivirus and Trend Micro Internet Security Suite. Would you agree that Spyware Dr. AV would be the better one to dump? I like both programs but PC Tools support is non-existant and I was thinking of not renewing again anyway. The second question is this: I have both of these programs installed on 3 PC's, one of which is very frequently used for visiting nefarious websites (read: PORN!! and NO, IT'S NOT ME!!) Anyway, I thought it wise to bulk up that machine with protection. If I remove Spyware Dr. how can I best protect him from Malware? Would Trend Micro be good enough? He previously had Norton but was constantly plagued with malware. He literally was keeping his local geek squad in business. Since installing SDAV and TMISS on his computer he hasn't had a problem, but he's on my license so when I cancel mine I cancel his. What would you recommend? (Besides telling him to stay off those websites, which is just a waste of time. I speak from experience.)
kellsbells,

My first question is what is the deal with "run as administrator"?

I can't tell you anything specific about this. I've never used a Vista system so I don't have any firsthand knowledge. I believe it is part of the security built into the Vista system. Even if you are logged in as Administarator, you really don't have full rights until you Run as Administrator. The less powerful your permissions while running your computer, the less access malware has to your system. However, some of our tools won't work correctly without those permissions. Here is some information on how to limit permissions for users in XP. It explains a little about what Vista does "built-in".

Would you agree that Spyware Dr. AV would be the better one to dump?

Tough question. #1 priority is that you have one Anti-viru, one Anti-spyware, and one firewall. From there we get into preferences. I believe that every program has it's good and bad points. You should use the one you are comfortable with, or at least get comfortable with the one you use. That being said. I personally don't like either of those programs. Though I would choose either over Norton. If you have paid for the subscription, get your moneys worth. Pick one. I probably would pick TrendMicro (even though both of those programs I think are resource hogs) if you are comfortable with it. I think Spyware Doctor is a little easier to set up but that's just me. If you have a paid subscription for each, use one and let your partner use the other. When it gets time to renew, I'd consider one of the free programs listed in the link I gave you about best practices. Personally I like Avira and Avast. I have one on one computer and the other on another. They both have good and bad points and I can live with either. Avira is probably the easiest to set up. They are Anti-virus programs.

Then you need a Anti-Spyware. I suggest installing SpywareGuard for real-time protection (or ThreatFire). Then I'd supplement it with Malwarebytes' by updating and running once a month or so. Because Mbam has no real-time component, it won't conflict.

Then you need a Firewall. There are some free third party firewalls on the best practices page. Many will disagree with me but, if you are behind a router, I believe that the built-in Vista Firewall is sufficient and it's easy to use. Your partner should get a third party firewall.

Now on to your partner. I've made a couple suggestions above. I further suggest that based upon the behavior you have described, you do not connect to his computer through your home network. Keep the computers separate as much as possible to minimize cross-contamination. If he downloads porn, I suggest that you get him to look into installing a program like SandBoxie. This will further protect his system.

You can tell him from me that in order of risk, the worst things he can do (as far as risk) with his computer is:
  • Warez
  • P2P file sharing
  • Porn
  • poker
In my never to be humble opinion, participating in any of those activities will get you infected. The question isn't will you get infected. It is when you'll get infected. It's just a question of time.

OK… I'm off my soapbox. That is alot of information I've given you. Any further questions?
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI