This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Laptop get freezes everytime i browse net

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

my Internet browser hangs up on sites with lots of Flash content or embedded videos (including ads and videos that don't automatically play). This is especially annoying when I'm on a website that I don't think will have videos or anything like that and then WHAM a video ad- eBay and DeviantArt are terrible offenders in this regard.This also happens when I am on Dice,monster or careerbuilder sites. When this happens I can minimize and maximize/restore, but I can't close the program. It happens with both Firefox (which I use almost exclusively because it seems to happen less) and IE 8. I can also move the mouse, and other programs that are open are not affected. I can't open any new ones, though, or they will freeze/hang up as well. I am able to bring up the task manager and try and end the program that way, but it doesn't always work or may take 20 minutes or more to kill it. I usually don't wait that long and power the laptop down manually (probably not good for it but I am impatient!). Every 30 sec I will get following msg Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.Same is the case with Firefox.And then it gets refreshes the page. I even reformated my laptop.for couple of days it worked fine,then again hangs up.As read somewhere in the forum,I also got chkdsk ran.Chkdsk has been run properly! I didn't see any messages about bad clusters, and the volume is clean. please help me.I am not being able to work on my laptop at since everytime its freezes. Any help will be appreciated Thank You
Hi Bluestar123

And :welcome:

Could you post make and model of your computer please?

Until we find a solution, you could look at these two addons for Firefox;

Adblock+. Blocks nearly every ad you'll come across

FlashBlock. Blocks Flash content, until you give explicit order to run it.


regards
Thanks for the reply. Mine is a dell laptop.Vostro 1000. System:Windows XP home edition version 2002,SP 2 configuration: AMD athlon tm(64*2) Duel core processor TK-57 1.6GHz,896 MB of RAM, Also want to add,that when it get hangs,sometimes laptop make big sound,and then I just forcebily switch off the laptop. Please do reply Thanks
Yes its sort of same,coz I read that post,I am also facing kind off similar problem.After reading other replies I ran chkdsk , Also there is no final reply stating that any of the solution worked,so I posted my problem.I hope I havent done anything wrong!!!!!
No.. It just seemed strange that it was almost an exact copy/paste of the other thread. No harm done. I just wanted to make sure that the other person with a problem wasn't posting a new thread.
I am attaching my application and system log files. Please Help me out of this.This is driving me crazy.I already formated my lappy,n dont wont to do it again. please do reply Thank You

Attachments:

  • [attachment removed: logfileapplication.zip]
You are getting a lot of iexplore.exe (Internet Explorer) errors. When did you install IE8? That appears to be where the problem is. Easiest way to find out is to uninstall IE8 from Add and Remove Programs in Control Panel. When you do that, your previous version of IE will be restored, either IE7 or IE6. If that resolves the problem, you can tell Windows Update to not install IE8 the next time it asks or you can try reinstalling it and see if the problem re-occurs. Before you uninstall it, change how Windows Update runs, from automatically download and install to notify but don't download and install. You do this from the Automatic Update tab of the System applet in Control Panel.
I uninstalled IE 8,also stop using it,Now using firefox,still the problem persist. Is there any other way to solve this. Please help Thanks
Bluestar123, to me it sounds like a memory problem. Before we begin exhaustive test of the RAM, could you please tell me how big (or small) your pagefile is? To get to your pagefile, follow this path; Start > Control Panel > System Advanced Tab > Performance settings Advanced Tab Depending on how many partitions currently on the HD, you will see allocated values for each drive, those are the numbers I'd like to learn about. Seeing that you have 896Mb RAM (1024, some goes to the onboard Graphic) in 2x512Mb RAM sticks, it might be one of the sticks that have gone bad, leaving you with one 512 Mb stick and where the graphic card still takes it share (128Mb RAM), leaving you with 384Mb RAM total. So if possible, could you please open your casing, remember to take anti-static percautions by touching bare metal, re-seat the RAM sticks to ensure they are properly seated. If still experiencing issues, remove one stick, and try boot on the remaining, swap around if boot is successful. If one of the sticks prevent you from booting properly, we have found a culprit. If it boots on any of them, we need to test the RAM thorougly. But lets do it this way first, so we are sure they are seated correctly (clicked in place) While you have the casing open, check for and clean for dust. Cheers
1st of all thanx for reply. My total paging size of all drives is 1344MB.I hope this is what you wanted.ANd I have only one partition i.e only C drive. Also can you please tell me step by step,what exactly i have to do inorder to open case,I have never done this b4. Thank
You remove the right side of the tower / casing by unscrewing two screws at the back in the right side(not left)
Then gently slide the panel backwards toward yourself if positioned behind the tower. Some towers have just two
holes where you have to press a lever, and the side can be remove. There is not much to it, and it can't harm your
computer as long as you are gentle and don't rush things.

Remember, it is the right panel you need to remove (when looking from behind)

Lay the computer down on its left side or leave it standing if on a table, just what is easiest for you. Do not lay it
down or position it on textiles, as they can generate static electricity.

You should now have a view on the computer's mainboard (circuit board)

Next you have to find the RAM sticks. Heres a pic. of how they would probably look like;

📎ram_motherboard1.jpg

Carefully unclick them, and they can be removed by pulling gently straight upward

Remember to touch bare metal to prevent static electricity!
Okay I did as you said,I took out ram,(both),again fixed it,n start the laptop. Then I took out one of the ram,and again on the lappy,then I replaced that one and took out the other one,still it was working. My problem still persists. Now what to do????? Please do reply Thank You
No reply today :( , could it be in any case due to laptop fan??? I mean if its not working or so.But again my lapop get hangs only when am browsing internet. :wall:
Is my problem exactly same as crazydiamond?? shall i follow his/her steps.weekend is comming,I will get bored without my laptop,no movies,no music… :pullhair:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI