This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

computer freezing up daily/running very slow

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hi, I am running Vista on Compaq Presario C700 (less than 2 years old). It runs very slow–when I am online (IE) the pages take a long time and often then IE will shut down completely. Also, it is very slow to boot up and shutdown. It also completely freezes 1x day. I can only get it going again by doing a hard shutdown. :pullhair: I run the Shield anti-virus and just downloaded and ran c-cleaner. It started freezing completely after I ran ccleaner so hopefully that didn't make it worse. I have minimal knowledge of how to manage any problems so any help and your patience is greatly appreciated. gardenpunk
ok, should I just run the check disk and stop or do the repair element as well (command line mode). Any interpretations and theories on the gardenpunk name are welcomed and appreciated! <_<
One of the modes should suffice, so whatever is easier for you. Also, pay attention when it gets to step 4 and 5, any HD related faulties will show there. Take notice if it repairs any sectors. This is similar to watching paint dry, sorry 'bout that, but no other way mate. Cheers
ok I am back and have tried running chkdsk in both modes. In mode 1, it did not do what I expected–just saw a flash of activity as I booted up–no long running check or any indication of it. I had a good book ready to keep me occupied. then in command line mode, it told me I had to be elevated to a different plane or something-access denied. :huh: Please help garden (not computers obviously) punk
ok, was able to run disk check. got to stage 5 and it stopped at "411056 of 7739192" for at least 40 minutes so I stopped it. Should I have let it run? Or is that an indication of a problem? Any help on a next step is greatly appreciated.
Hi Its most unwise to try to stop chkdsk, please let it run to completion (this may take several hours) when its run then after a normal close down and restart run it again. The command for this is chkdsk /r note that the space is required. Regards paws
ok I am letting it run again but it still seems stuck at a certain point in section 5. ( i am on a different computer right now obviously). If it stays stuck at this point for hours, that is normal? because it has been stopped at the same spot for over 2 hours now. Please advise. thanks.
Hi Gardenpunk

Hmm, that doesn't sound good. Lets try the HD diagnostic tool from the maker of the HD.

What make and model is the HD?

Or you can download the appropriate one from here:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If running the tool for your HD shows significant errors, you might have to realize that the HD is broken.


Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI