This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

First forum post lost ...

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I am a newbie to this forum. Thank you for all the great advice and resources contained here at WTT. I was carefully posting my first HJT log file post just a few minutes ago. My post included a HJT log file from version 1(dot)99(dot)1. After hitting the "Post New Topic" button I found myself redirected to this post - "Outdated version of HijackThis detected!!" The worst thing about this is that my entire post, which I carefully and painstakingly wrote, now appears to be lost forever. If anyone can retrieve it i would be most grateful. Best regards,
That version of HijackThis is way out dated and the forum software won't let you post it.



Please delete any HijackThis Folders and Files you have now.

There's a new version of HijackThis.


Click the "Save" button.

Please put your HijackThis in it's own folder, (I create a new folder in C:\ named HJT).
You can do a Right Click on any open area on the desktop, New> Folder, then rename the folder HJT.

Open HijackThis and select: Do a system scan and save a log file.

When the scan is finished, Click Edit> Select All> Edit> Copy> and paste its contents here [Add Reply].
Hi LDT, Thanks for your reply. Alas, all my careful typing and explanations lost! :) I carefully followed your instructions 2 times, but both times the link you posted downloaded HJT version one dot ninety-nine dot one. Perhaps I am missing something. I deleted all old files and folders i could find that were to do with HJT before I downloaded new setup file. BTW - I previously chose one dot ninety-nine dot one, over version 2 dot zero dot 2, because it was the last version that was not Trend Micro owned - I thought that would be desirable? Version 2 dot zero dot 2 is the latest version isn't it? ( just one version after one dot ninety-nine dot one?) Best regards, GlenF
Hi LDT,

Thanks for your reply and for the new link.
I have now downloaded and installed HJT 202 in the C:\HJT folder as instructed.
It will take me a little time to get back to the computer I was working on to rescan with the latest version of HJT.
When I do I will open a new post for it.

I do hope you will take this next comment in the well natured and constructive manner in which it is intended.
As a newbie, I did attempt to use the self help guides and newbie posts and follow all their directions.
I found myself at these two pages -

What the Tech > Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal > HijackThis Logs and Infections Removal
"Self Help", Before Posting A HijackThis Log
LDTate Feb 26 2006, 08:04 AM

What the Tech > Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal > Self Help Fixes for Spyware / Malware
Before Posting A Hijackthis Log "self Help", For Windows 2000 and XP Versions
LDTate Feb 7 2006, 06:24 PM

At the time, I did not stumble across the "Welcome New Members, How To Get Help" post you refer to, nor do I now find any links to it in or around the posts I mention above.
Perhaps some better channeling would be helpful to us newbies?

Best regards,
Glen F
Hi LD, Thanks for the follow up. It will take me a little time to get back to the computer I was working on, since it belongs to a friend I see infrequently. I will rescan with the latest version of HJT when I am there next. When I do I will open a new post for it. So we should be clear to close this post … Best regards, Glen F

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI