Windows XP Home Service Pack 3, Avast home 4.8.1335 (VPS 090714-0 14/07/2009), Sygate Personal firewall 5.6, Windows firewall turned off, external broadband modem, IE8 & Firefox 3.0.11, Outlook Express (POP mail via yahoo)
My PCPitStop link is here:
Symptoms & work-around where found:
1. chkdsk ran at every boot -> ran chkdsk /f /r and this ceased
2. could send outgoing but couldn't receive pop mail using OE, with or without firewall(s) / avast running -> changed port to 995 from 110
3. couldn't get to any http websites using Firefox or Explorer but could access https - can only access http sites by pausing avast webshield ->haven't been able to find a work-around, see list of things I've tried below*
4. lastly, when I boot in safe mode, it hangs at a347bus.sys - after a bit of googling, it seemed Alcohol 120 might be to blame so I uninstalled Alcohol - however it still hangs at this file; not sure if this is related to my other problems or just another can of worms
*Things I have tried:
- turning sygate off (realise this is outdated, will get something newer soon)
- uninstalling & reinstalling sygate, with windows firewall on and off
- uninstalling sygate and leaving it off, with windows firewall on and off
- uninstalling & reinstalling avast, with and without sygate, with and without windows firewall
- run AVG8 32bit remover (I had it until about a year ago)
- run multiple thorough scans with spybot, ad-aware, avast, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional and nothing special has shown
- run some registry cleaners
- probably some other things that I've since forgotten I've tried
- after much googling of port 80 problems, found this:
My value in 'start' was 4 and after resetting to 3, everything worked...for about 3 days...and then I encountered the same problem only this time the fix didn't work (value kept getting reset to 4).
So, in summary (apols for the mega-post):
> re: browsing, can still only access http sites when avast webshield turned off (with or without out any firewall active)
> re: pop mail download, can only access using port 995 - even when avast paused / terminated (ditto)
I have been able to access http sites in safe mode w networking. I can also ping common websites (google etc) without packet loss.
I may have missed the solution in other threads so happy to be redirected - otherwise, any advice would be greatly appreciated: thanks in advance....
ps. given that I can only access these sites when avast webshield is turned off, I figured it might be something to do with avast so also posted here (probably isn't avast tho?):
Edited by yahsas, 18 July 2009 - 10:45 PM.