Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:44:27 AM, on 7/24/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
This is a brand new computer (3 weeks). Hewlett Packard has done nothing for me except to send a new set of recovery disks instead of copying them from this computer. From the moment I turned on the computer for the first time, Outlook Express was un-operational and most programs were non responsive or stopped responding. Computer technician did the system recovery. System Restore doesn't work unless I perform in Safe Mode. It says that it was unable to perform in regular mode. As well, computer shut down and the error cause Window stated that "this behavior is typically caused by a device driver that is not correct for the version of Windows on which you installed it. Or the device driver may have been poorly written, which can cause Windows to stop working correctly. Check 3rd party software or drivers. If you installed 3rd party software or drivers try removing them or disabling them so that they do not load." Last evening after installing Zone Alarm firewall, I was not able to configure it to allow me access to the internet so I did an uninstall through add/remove in control panel after which, Outlook Express was unable to poll for new messages and became non-functioning and again, system restore did not work. This was corrected (again) through Safe Mode. Hewlett Packard keeps passing the buck, telling me that this is a Microsoft issue and is doing nothing to help me resolve issues on a computer that I haven't even made my first payment on.
Microsoft tech. support sent me an email saying the cause: 1. Third party programs or services can block this feature to work. 2. The restore points are corrupt. 3. The component for the System Restore is corrupt.
PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP. I've been totally consumed in trying to get direction and assistance in correcting this.
Hi Sandra,
With your XP reinstall disk available, run System File Checker.
Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow
A DOS type screen will open up briefly and then suddenly disappear (normal)
Then a "progress bar" will appear and report the progress of SFC as it checks through your Operating System for missing or corrupt operating system files. If it identifies a corrupt/missing file, SFC will call for you to insert your XP installation CD in order to copy and replace the file into your system.
If you do not have an XP CD for this machine, you can use any XP CD that might be available to copy system files for replacement.
SFC might just find a system file that is causing this problem….. or not, so please post back with your results and progress.
Best Regards
Dough, thank you so much for responding. I don't have any cds that came with computer. All I've got are the system recovery cds!!! What do you mean, I can use any xp cd that may be available? Please inform. I'm totally lost with all of this and frightened to do anything without any "safety nets." Where can I get these cds you're referring to? Should I call the manufacturer who so far has been no help???????
Waiting for your reply.
Thank you,
Sandra
Hi Sandra,
Sure, call the Manufacturer and request that they send you a physical Disk of the XP operating system.
Your machine is new, and even though XP was apparently "'pre-loaded" onto your Hard Drive, there will likely be times in the future that you wish to freshly install your XP operating system.
Manufacturer's who "pre-load" Windows XP must provide a CD copy of the XP operating system installation CD, upon customer request. There is usually a small fee. Last time I sent for an XP CD in a similar situation, HP charged me $9.00 plus shipping charges.
As to using "any" XP installation CD to assist in the SFC procedure:
All the system files are recorded on XP installation CD's. The only difference from one owner/user to the next owner/user is that Microsoft uses a 25 digit alpha-numeric Product Identification Number that prevents one owner/user from "completely installing" the XP operating system onto more than one machine without additional license.
Since System File Checker does not "install" the operating system, it doesn't "ask for" a Product Identification Number. Instead, it scans your already installed XP operating system and checks each file to determine if any file damage/corruption has occurred during installation or useage. If SFC finds a missing or corrupt system file, it simply "reads" the appropriate file on the install CD and copies it to your machines Hard Drive.
So…. If you have a friend who also runs XP (home or pro) on their own computer, then you can borrow that CD and use it during the SFC procedure.
Best Regards
Hi again Sandra,
Here's another option.
SFC may run smoothly without need for the XP installation CD.
Your machine probably has a Recovery Partition, probably labeled D:\ where the manufacturer installed a backup and repair suite for your Windows XP operating system.
Theoretically SFC should recognize that the Recovery Partition exists, and theoretically SFC should look there first to see if it can read and copy any files that might be necessary to replace any missing or corrupt files it identifies in the installed operating system.
So please go ahead and try running System File Checker
Start - Run - (type) sfc /scannow - Enter
Worst thing that can happen is that it will tell you it can't find the information it's looking for.
And, We might even be able to identify what file it needs and help you "direct" SFC to look in the right spot to get a fresh copy.
With the above said, you can still borrow a copy of the XP installation CD from any friend to help run SFC.
And again, I'm a believer in you as an owner/user, having an actual CD of your XP operating system.
The company should have given it to you when you first made the purchase, but that's just my opinion, and I'd better stop now, because I sense I'm beginning to "rant".
Keep us posted on your progress.
Best Regards
Hi Dough. Firstly, thanks so much for the explaination and at 9:00 this evening (after the rates drop on my phone!! In the last 3 weeks, I spent 812 minutes on the phone, just with HP trying to straighten this mess out), and request the windows xp cds.
I went ahead and ran sfc /scannow, it scanned then closed, which leaves me cluesless once again about EVERYTHING. Ironically, I bought this computer to avoid problems and when I tell you I've had not a moments rest with this, please believe me. HP tells me one thing that contradicts what the technician who ran a full restore and recovery on the machine tells me. Microsoft has kept me hanging by not answering my follow up email that they said they'd respond to as soon as I delievered the information they asked. If I do a system recovery for a third time, this time I'll lose a complete package of all MS Office applications that the computer tech. loaded on my computer. I could just cry.
I'm going to go back into Safe Mode and roll back to when I first got it home after the second recovery and just load Ad-aware and Spybot.
Should I send you the log that was created in hijack this? Maybel there's something obvious that can be detected?
Thankyou once again.
What a nuisance!
Sorry to say that your experience is not unique.
Sure you can send your HJT, but not to this same Topic Thread. We don't Analyze HJT in this "other computer problems" forum. And I am not a qualified HJT Helper. However, you can excellent help in the "HighJackThis Logs and Spyware/Malware Removal" forum listed just above this one on the Forums page.
A better alternative for machine, software and operating system analysis would be the Full Test, over at my home forum PCPitstop.com.
GoTo: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on Full Test
You will be asked to Register with a valid email address. (it's safe and confidential)
After you complete your registration click on Full Tests again.
You will be asked to accept an ActiveX routine that will allow the test to be run on your machine. (It's safe)
After you've completed and received your Results, you can copy and paste the TechExpress Link into this same Topic Thread here at TomCoyote. I'll review your Full Test With you. It should give a pretty thorough overview of your hardware, installed software, operating system, peripherals, internet connection, Disk, Memory, and Active running applications.
this behavior is typically caused by a device driver that is not correct for the version of Windows on which you installed it.
It's possible.
Open your Device Manager and check for yellow or red warnings.
Right-click on My Computer - Select - Properties
Click on the Hardware tab - then press the Device Manager button
You'll see a list of your installed devices.
If any of the Drivers are corrupt, you'll see a yellow or red warning in front of the item.
Cruise around in Device Manager menu to get a feel for what is operating in your machine.
It's a good introductory learning experience. Don't change anything unless you know what you're doing or get advice.
Let us know what you find.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI