This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Help! Trojan: Downloader.vb.3.f

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I'm running windows98. I was infected with a trojan horse virus (Downloader.VB.3.F). I am seeking expert help on how to remove the virus from my computer. Thanks.
Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.com!

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM. - Coyote


Gee.. with a nickname like "bassrupture" you should have gotten infected with a "worm" instead of a "trojan". At least then you'd have some bait. ;)

OK.. Enough attempts at humor on my part. :weee:

Actually, I couldn't find that exact trojan in my searches. But I found similar ones, so we're going to try the removal technique used for the "similar" trojans.

First, boot your PC in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to tell you how if you are unsure.

Next, get online and run the free virus scan/removal tool here:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If it finds something but fails to remove it, it will tell tell you. Save that info and supply it in your next post, please. :)

After the virus scan/removal, reboot in normal mode.

Next, please make a permanent folder (not on the desktop) for Hijack This! (suggest "C:\HJT\"), and download it (from the link in my signature) into that folder.

If required a tutorial is here = Hijackthis Folder Tutorial

Run it from that folder.

Click "Scan".

DO NOT "FIX" ANYTHING WITH IT YET!!!
FIXING THE WRONG THING COULD RENDER YOUR SYSTEM INOPERABLE!!!

Click "Save log".

Reply to this thread, and post the ENTIRE CONTENTS of the log file into this thread and we'll proceed from there. :)
Hello Micah 6:8

Thanks for your warm welcome and much appreciated reply.

I went into Safe Mode and tried signing on to my account, but my drivers for my modern doesn't seem to be responding under Safe Mode. So I can't access Trendmicro.com.

I then rebooted windows (normal) and just ran trendmicro hoping it would pickup something, but nothing was detected. Below is the Hijackthis filelogs.

Thanks

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 9:59:33 PM, on 6/16/04
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.1998A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\ACSD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGSERV9.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VETMSG9X.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CA\ETRUST EZ ARMOR\ETRUST EZ ANTIVIRUS\VETTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RunDLL.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\RAMBOOSTER\RAMBOOSTER.EXE
C:\DDWIN\VOICEBAR.EXE
C:\DDWIN\Dgnengin.exe
C:\DDWIN\DgnDemon.exe
C:\DDWIN\DGNDMN32.EXE
C:\DDWIN\DGNLAN32.EXE
C:\DDWIN\WPDEM32.EXE
C:\DDWIN\Dgninter.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\UNZIPPED\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by America Online
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EnsoniqMixer] starter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Vet Alert] C:\WINDOWS\System\VetMsg9x.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VetTray] C:\PROGRA~1\CA\ETRUST~1\ETRUST~1\VETTRAY.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AolAcsDaemon1] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\ACSD.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Avgserv9.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG6\Avgserv9.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Taskbar Display Controls] RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RamBooster] C:\PROGRAM FILES\RAMBOOSTER\RAMBOOSTER.EXE
O4 - Startup: DragonDictate Classic Edition.lnk = C:\DDWIN\VOICEBAR.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.aol.com
O16 - DPF: {4A3CF76B-EC7A-405D-A67D-8DC6B52AB35B} (QDiagAOLCCUpdateObj Class) - http://aolcc.aol.com/computercheckup/qdiagcc.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
I don't see anything wrong in the log file.

How were you alerted that the trojan was present? From your resident virus protection?

Here are two other free online scanners/removers:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co…n_principal.htm

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx

If you try all of them, and they all say they found nothing, then I'd say your're not actually infected.

Try the other two scanners, and post back and let me know the results. :)
Hi Micah

I ran those viruses site. I actually have etrust, but nothing was detected.

I had 2 anti-virus program running when I was infected; AVG and Etrust. AVG gave me the name of the trojan virus (Downloader.VB.3.F). It said it healed ok, but I was still suspicious.
I went to my Add/Remove programs to see if there was anything that was installed. I found 2 programs I didn't recognize. They are Mediamotor and Viewpoint media player. I think there's another called S3Display. But I went ahead and tried to uninstall the first two I mentioned with no success.
Last night I tried to search more about this virus and I came up with one. I'd like to give you a link to it. So I can get your opinion, if I may.
If it's this "mediamotor":

http://it.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise…me=TROJ_ROING.A

It's not good.

"Viewpoint media player" is purported to be spyware as well. It is installed by AOL and AIM (and probably other things as well).

Send me all the links you want. I'll give you my opinion.

About your post:

I had 2 anti-virus program running when I was infected


It's not a good idea to have 2 antivirus programs running at the same time.

The "rule of thumb" I have been told is you should consider uninstalling the LAST one you installed.

Just something to think about. :)
Yes, alot of spy crap came with this virus. Here is the link I wanted you to see. Click here: How can you remove the Trojan horse Downloader.VB.3.F which is found n file c:\System Volume Information\_restore{ It seems to be a problem solver for windows XP, but I'm running windows98. And also I had AVG running first. Thanks
Yup, that link worked. But like you said, it doesn't apply for '98 systems because you don't have "system restore". Since the online scans say you're clean, I would believe them. :)
Hi Micah 6:8 I was able to take out Mediamotor. I just wanna thank you for all your cooperation and support. God bless and best regards
I am glad that we were able to help! I am closing this topic now, but if you need it reopened, please send an email to the following link(Click for address) with the Subject line of the email "Reopen".
To receive a response, please include in your email: the user name used in the post, details of why you need it reopened, and a valid link to the post.

Emails with bad links to the post, emails that are not from the original poster, and emails that do not have "ReOpen" as the subject line, will be deleted without being opening.

Please start a New Topic if this is not your thread. Thank-you for your co-operation.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI