This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Shutdowns while gaming

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, After elimating malware as the problem tomk recommended me to start a thread here. Recently my computer got some malware,virus etc and I had to put a clean install of windows and start a fresh. All the problems seemed to go away except that my comp will cut off while gaming. Also the framerate has lowered on games like wow to 5 - 10. All graphics are on high but they used to be anyway. Tried turning them down but i shouldnt have to after spending all the money to play games on high graphics :S The shutdowns are like you pulled the plug and they happen when the graphics card would probley be under load. Things Ive tried include Clean install on windows Installed latest nvidia drivers (The proper way) Latest windows updates Cleaned inside case with air compressor Reinstalled the games, latest updates also Spec is Vista 64 Intel quad core q9550 2.83g 4.00G ram GTX260 card Asus board Sata HD Coolmaster 1000w Upgraded from 750w because the 750w PSU was crappy make and ampage cant handle the duel gpu GTX Everything is about 8months old Nothings overclocked. Off to see if PSU has warranty and download speedfan Thanks in advance for any repsonse :) Rem EDIT: uploaded speedfan values . LEFT: is desktop idle, RIGHT: playing wow for about 20mins I know everything is on fire but I havent configured it yet
Not sure what you mean by "haven't configured it yet" but SpeedFan is notorious for making it obscure as to which reading relates to which source.

Still, your CPU and likely your GPU are way too hot.

You say you cleaned with an air compressor.
It's possible to get an over-pressure and cause some damage with air pressure.
I use the empty plastic case of a BIC pen instead of a nozel and I throttle back my air compressor when using it to clean inside of cases.

Have you varified that the heat-sink fins are actually clean and free of any foreign material/dust/lint?
Have you verified that the Fans are actuall vigorously blowing?
Do you have decent circulation around and in back of your case?

Have you tried running the machine with the side panel off and a desk-fan directed into the case?

The machine is only 8 months old.
Is that a self-build or store brand machine?

If self-built what Thermal compound did you use?
Have a read here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Thermal_Inte…ial_t95526.html

Not sure what you mean by "haven't configured it yet" but SpeedFan is notorious for making it obscure as to which reading relates to which source.

Still, your CPU and likely your GPU are way too hot.

You say you cleaned with an air compressor.
It's possible to get an over-pressure and cause some damage with air pressure.
I use the empty plastic case of a BIC pen instead of a nozel and I throttle back my air compressor when using it to clean inside of cases.

Have you varified that the heat-sink fins are actually clean and free of any foreign material/dust/lint?
Have you verified that the Fans are actuall vigorously blowing?
Do you have decent circulation around and in back of your case?

Have you tried running the machine with the side panel off and a desk-fan directed into the case?

The machine is only 8 months old.
Is that a self-build or store brand machine?

If self-built what Thermal compound did you use?
Have a read here: http://forums.whatthetech.com/Thermal_Inte…ial_t95526.html



Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I used a regulator with the compressor and the pressure was low. I also held the gun quite far away. I've been having this problem before I cleaned with a compressor.

Yep, every nook and cranny had a good inspection. clean as new.
Yes to fans all seem to be in working order.
Yes and also relocating comp and tv to cooler room near window. (havent had a fan facing into case though)

Yes, Ive built my last 4 computers and used the TIM that came with it. I cant remember what one it was.
Should I redo the thermal compound? Was thinking about water cooling though.

I didnt rule it down to heat so much because it ran fine on hot summer days with 7hours abuse :S

I defenty know what you mean with speedfan, still trying to work out which ones what. I have fans on ram,hd and 4 on the case and motherboard .

Rem
RGT, You describe that you have a freshly installed OS, plus freshly installed nVidia driver, cleaned any dust/lint, verified that fans are turning, and that your machine runs even the gaming… for a while and then suddenly stops. Can we presume that you have plenty of FREE Space on your HD. At least 25% FREE Space. Historically, a big complaint regarding 64bit systems was correct Drivers. Review and assure that you do have the best drivers for your system. WOW has beautiful graphic features, but is generally not as "high demand" as many of the first-person-shooter style games. WOW can be run on medium strong machines, therefore your machine having difficulty suggests a "basic" machine problem. Most often I would first suspect heat as the culprit in the scenario you describe. Is it possible that each of your individual component fans is operating correctly, but that you may need additional case-fans to exhaust heat lifted by the component fans? That's why I suggest open the side panel and experiment with a desk fan. If that makes a difference, you may benefit from one or more additional exhaust case-fans. Do you have room on the case for a top vent fan, or side vent fan or additional rear vent fan. I might consider one fan blowing in, and one or more exhausting, strategically placed. That your machine functioned for 8 months, and now has a problem, raises the possibility of accumulated damage to capacitors due to heat over time. Inspect inside to see if you have any bulging or leaking capacitors. 📎bulging_caps1.jpg _______________________ Also consider monitoring Voltages. You can use the Charts feature of SpeedFan _______________________ Also consider your electrical source wiring. do you have other appliances on the same household circuits that may kick in, straining your power supply?

RGT,

You describe that you have a freshly installed OS, plus freshly installed nVidia driver, cleaned any dust/lint, verified that fans are turning, and that your machine runs even the gaming… for a while and then suddenly stops.
Can we presume that you have plenty of FREE Space on your HD. At least 25% FREE Space.

Historically, a big complaint regarding 64bit systems was correct Drivers.
Review and assure that you do have the best drivers for your system.

WOW has beautiful graphic features, but is generally not as "high demand" as many of the first-person-shooter style games.
WOW can be run on medium strong machines, therefore your machine having difficulty suggests a "basic" machine problem.

Most often I would first suspect heat as the culprit in the scenario you describe.

Is it possible that each of your individual component fans is operating correctly, but that you may need additional case-fans to exhaust heat lifted by the component fans? That's why I suggest open the side panel and experiment with a desk fan.
If that makes a difference, you may benefit from one or more additional exhaust case-fans.
Do you have room on the case for a top vent fan, or side vent fan or additional rear vent fan.
I might consider one fan blowing in, and one or more exhausting, strategically placed.

That your machine functioned for 8 months, and now has a problem, raises the possibility of accumulated damage to capacitors due to heat over time.

Inspect inside to see if you have any bulging or leaking capacitors.
[attachment removed]
_______________________

Also consider monitoring Voltages.
You can use the Charts feature of SpeedFan
_______________________

Also consider your electrical source wiring.
do you have other appliances on the same household circuits that may kick in, straining your power supply?


Hi doug.

I have 21gig free of 80gb, its been lower. I did have 2 hard drives but I disconnected one while trying to find the problem.

Yes i have the latest drivers from nvidia. I tried updating my sata but windows said it was the latest drivers.

Ok, going to inspect the board.

One question, What sort of voltages should I be seeing? Should they be stable or fluctuate?

Thanks
RGT, I'm out of my depths to give you any specifics. Hopefully, Digerati, Jephree, Troy or Appleoddity will be able to step in with better informatin. Voltages "should" either be "on" or "off" during switch cycles, therefore the report from SpeedFan or any other monitoring utility should be stable. Now there are exceptions for hardware scaling(overclocking) and dynamic scaling via CMOS software settings. For instance: Laptops generally have "power management" features that allow the machine to "throttle down" to conserve battery power. But the actual voltage in any set, should remain stable.

RGT,

I'm out of my depths to give you any specifics.
Hopefully, Digerati, Jephree, Troy or Appleoddity will be able to step in with better informatin.

Voltages "should" either be "on" or "off" during switch cycles, therefore the report from SpeedFan or any other monitoring utility should be stable.

Now there are exceptions for hardware scaling(overclocking) and dynamic scaling via CMOS software settings.
For instance:
Laptops generally have "power management" features that allow the machine to "throttle down" to conserve battery power.
But the actual voltage in any set, should remain stable.


I found the voltages on the side of the psu :S lol and they are fine and stable :)
Yeah my laptop has that, but I have it plugged in for 100% performance.

EDIT:

I think I may have found the problem by accident.

The intel fan has them anoying 4 pins to hold it self tite to the motherboard and while following your steps, looking for transistor damage I noticed 1 of the threads wasnt pinned down properly. May have been when the case of banged it with the hoover.

Anyway, the framerate on wow seems stable and sims hasnt crashed (Dont wanna speak to soon)
Temps are down but going to run a benchmark tommorrow to double check.

Is 3dmark any good?
Now I just gota sort out the wireless keyboard connection probs :)

Fingerscrossed, ill post back to close thread.

Thanks
Rem
Glad you are getting it sorted. BenchMark utilities can be useful and provide some details for comparison, but running your ordinary computer applications and gaming will give your the actual performance measure of what your machine can do in action in your common usage. It's your choice.

Glad you are getting it sorted.

BenchMark utilities can be useful and provide some details for comparison, but running your ordinary computer applications and gaming will give your the actual performance measure of what your machine can do in action in your common usage.

It's your choice.


Thanks doug. You can close the thread now. All seems well.

Attached speedfan with the new results

:) Thanks again!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI