biscuitman
Topic Starter
Hello all!
My computer is a pc tower Pentium Dual Core 1.6ghz with 160gb HDD, and 2gb RAM.
Yesterday, my brother was installing some steam games, Team Fortress 2/Half-Life Episode 2/Portal. These installed without fail and were updating afterwards in the steam interface. For some reason he wanted to check the speed of the download, and thought it was going slow. Dont ask me why but he decided to run a Spybot check and Norton scan together (he doesnt know much about computers). Naturally he told me the computer slowed down. Then for some reason the computer restarted and it would bring you to the login screen, you got past that and we could see the background of the desktop but it got no further. The HD was showing no activity and it wasnt loading. Just a background picture. I went into safe mode a couple of times fine after that. But I should have ran MSConfig to see what was preventing it starting up. I was rather lazy and after running diskcheck etc, I decided the quickest way would be to do an XP repair installation.
This went fine up to the point where it was installing hardware drivers, and it asked me if I wanted to continue installing some bluetooth software, as this was not digitally signed and could lead to the installation becoming unstable. I thought the best option would be to click no (I wish I had clicked yes as this may have worked). It installed fine and I restarted the computer.
Since that point the computer starts up, goes onto the XP Home loading splash screen once, then after that the screen goes black. I thought maybe it was an issue with the VGA but I doubt it theres just no HD activity so I know the computer is just not loading.
I went into Recovery console via the XP boot disc, did the whole Fixmbr, Fixboot and another CHKDSK scan (doing one now again). And still nothing.
Now I thought I could try another repair but when I go into XP setup from boot, the partition is not recognised as being windows XP install so will not let me do a repair. It just says
Warning you are attempting to install a new XP onto a partition which already has an OS. Im pretty sure Fixmbr did that. Sigh but that was recommended on the windows help manual.
Anyway, I tried safemode and realised that when it is booting it hangs on multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\BTHidmgr.sys and gets no further
I did a bit of research and realised this is to do with bluetooth software so maybe there is a driver clash or something its not liking.
I'm pretty stumped to say the least. Would appreciate greatly any help as I know its probably just that annoying bluetooth.sys thing preventing me getting past XP loading screen. Many thanks.
EDIT : I deleted the BTHidmgr files from the system via Recovery console. The computer still doesnt get past the loading screen. Though now when I started up Safe Mode It hangs on Mup.sys.