This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

"Your System Is Infected" Wallpaper that can't be change

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

As you can see, I am not quite done yet…

*LéSigh*

I have scanned my system Thoroughly, but the wall paper remains, unchangeable.

Hardware Summary:
Compaq Presario A938CA
Intel Pentium Dual Core T2370 @1.73GHz
3 GB memory
320 GB SATA HD
DVD Burner
- WinXP Pro, SP3
- AVG 8.5
- WinPatrol (free)
- Windows Defender

As mentioned in the title, I have this wallpaper, bordered by the desktop colour, and I can't change it by any of the methods I am aware of. All the standard techniques seem to be disabled.

I think it's a function of WinPatrol, but see no such references in the Help files, and have been blocking all the attempts for various unidentified programs to modify my system, so it is possible that it may be "trying" to go away, but I keep stopping it's departure.

As a Side-Note: This happened when I tried to give HP some feedback via their online system/e-mailed survey!

Additionally , my internet connection settings keep getting modified to "Use Proxy Server" when I do not have, or need one with my Firewall/NAT server combo. I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but it never got addressed. At least, I suspect they are related.

Things I have already tried:
- Ran Windows Defender-Full Scan
- Ran AVG 8.5 Full Scan
- went to http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner and did the full, free, online scan


Thanks again for your timely assistance!
Try booting to Safe Mode and logging in with your account, not Administrator. Change the wallpaper there, then boot normally and see if it sticks. If you're concerned about WinPatrol, uninstall it or disable it then try changing the wallpaper.
Ok, tired the "Safe Mode" approach to getting the wallpaper changed. No dice. Still have no options. I can see the list of wallpapers, but can't select any of them, or even scroll the list. Is it time to slide this over to the Log Posting thread? I have the log from the Kapersky online scan, if that'll help I hesitate to post it here, as it may bog things down. Perhaps a new thread over at the HJT Logs section? Awaiting Instructions…
It was worth a try.

Go ahead and follow Maniac's instructions and post a HJT log there. Come back here when done if there continues to be a problem.

Edit: Did you try disabling WinPatrol?
Is this the same system you just reinstalled XP SP3 on (via slipstreamed nLite CD)? Seems unlikely you would be reinfected that quickly but it does happen. What Antivirus and Firewall programs are you using?
Yep, same system, fresh install Something might have slithered past the scan I did of my back-up files. The problem all seemed to start again when I tried to do that HP Survey. Every warning from every program I had running All went off! Maybe the HP Send-out is infected? So far, I had uninstalled WinPatrol, disabled my AVG 8.5 and Windows Defender, then ran the Kapersky Online Anti-virus scan again. I'll next be posting the HJT log in the proper thread. Probably tomorrow morning, as it's late, and Work will be happening entirely too early tomorrow ;) TTFN, folks!
The reason why you cannot change your desktop background is most likely a restrictive policy that has been put in place by malware. You need to clear the system of malware first. When clean, if the problem persists, come back here to this thread and someone can provide the information you need to remove those policies. I just don't feel comfortable posting the information yet as I feel this would allow you to "carry on" without actually removing the malware from your computer if it is there. :)
Hello I had the same problem. The wallpaper could not be changed. It is definitley a Malware Problem. I thought of another way of fixing the Problem.I used the System Restore Option .I restored the system from the Day before i got the Infection and it fixed the problem . I used the Msconfig program . hope this helps regards wayne dools
Glad it worked for you, but System Restore is not a good way to remove malware as many times malware hides in teh System Restore folders. Much better to do as TLoATDaE did and post in the malware area and let one of our folks help. jpshortstuff cleaned this one up in a few days.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI