I recently received help from the hijack this for malware removal but now I need help with windows.
1.) I am unable to view certain pages and also when I first open IE the web page is blank. It has the " Customize your settings" tab but that is it. I have saved a homepage but it does not open with the homepage showing. Once I click on the home symbol then the homepage appears.
2.) Some web pages I click on will not open or sometimes the pages will have extra buttons and when I click on them it will not open
First, reset Internet Explorer. Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> RESET. If you are using IE version 8 make sure you also select the option to erase personal settings and data.
Restart IE, go to www.adobe.com and download and install Flashplayer.
Next, go to www.java.com and download and install the newest Java Runtime Environment.
I believe it is IE 8. And I am not sure what security software I have installed. I am sorry… I do not have a lot of knowledge about the software. Is there a way to check and see what I have and how many different ones I may have?
Let's check your hosts file and see if there is something left in there from your malware cleanup.
Open My Computer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and find the HOSTS file.
Open it up in notepad. (Right-click, open with -> notepad)
Select everything, copy and paste it here.
What happens if you try to navigate to msn.com, or microsoft.com?
I've reviewed your malware thread and so I have a better idea now of what software you have installed on your computer.
You have McAfee installed on your computer. Do you know if this is something that you are using that is given to you freely by your internet service provider? Or, have your purchased it or are you paying for a subscription to it?
Ok.. Lets try eliminating the possibility of some problematic software.
First, please run a PCPitStop test so I can get a general profile of your computer and the software installed - Here's how: How to run PCPitStop's Overdrive tests:
Please click here to go to the PCPitStop Overdrive sign-up page: Signup at PCPitStop (You need to use Internet Explorer with this test so that an ActiveX control can be installed.)
Click "Create a free account"
Enter in your relevant information on the sign-up page. You must sign-up in order to have your results recorded so that we can take a look at them here.
After signing up you'll see the "Registration Complete" page, and you can click "Test Your System Now" to return to the test page.
Login with your newly created e-mail address and password on the left hand side.
Follow the directions to "Scan this system now." An activeX control will need to be installed. It is safe, and you should allow it to be installed.
Once the tests have been run, you will see an "Almost there" page requesting further information about your computer and your experience with PCPitStop, just scroll down to the bottom and click "GO."
A test results page will display, and I need the link to that page.
Look in the address bar of your browser. It will look like 'http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/…' Please copy and paste that here to the forum.
Note: PCPitStop may recommend that you use certain utilities to fix problems on your computer. At WhatTheTech, the help we provide is free. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any products PCPitStop may suggest. Instead, we prefer to help you with each issue manually without using possible pay to use programs.
Now, lets disable any un-necessary services and startup items temporarily: Temporarily disable services and startup items with msconfig:
Click Start -> Run -> Type msconfig and press ENTER.
When msconfig opens, click the Services tab, check "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click Disable All
Now, click the Startup tab, and click Disable All.
Click, OK, to close msconfig and restart your computer.
These instructions are for testing purposes only. It could possibly disable your anti-virus or other security software and leave your computer in a more vulnerable state. Use this only to determine if the problem persists after a reboot. Once done, return your system to a normal startup mode by opening msconfig again and clicking "normal startup" under the General tab.
After you turn off those services and startup items with msconfig, reboot and see if your internet explorer will work right.
I'll review your PCPitStop tests after you posts them.
when I click "Create a free account" nothing happens. It stays the same. That happens with other websites too. I will click a button and nothing happens.
Please try the msconfig instructions and try internet explorer again.
If, Internet Explorer still does not work, please go into control panel -> add/remove programs. Find windows internet explorer 8 and uninstall it.
It should revert you back to version 7 or 6. Try it now.
I did as you instructed …. BUT… the only windows internet I could find is 7 so I must have 7 on my comp and not 8. So I did not uninstall it.
I was going to do a system restore to see if that would make a difference but when I clicked on it that page came up blank too. My user account page comes up blank too.
Ok.. Looking at your malware removal thread, the last step you tried was to update internet explorer to version 8.
So, its unclear what version you are currently running.
Please open internet explorer, and click the "Help" menu, and then About. It will tell you what version you are running.
If it says you are running version 7, please go to add/remove programs and attempt to uninstall it.
If it says you are running version 8, please do this: Alternative steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003
To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:
Carefully select and then copy the following command:
%windir%\ie8\spuninst\spuninst.exe
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type Cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
Right-click inside the Cmd.exe window, and then click Paste to paste the command that you copied in step 1.
Press ENTER to uninstall Internet Explorer 8.
When the uninstall program is finished, restart your computer.