This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Program hangups and freezes on my Laptop

51 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I would really like to fix this typing problem, please give me some suggestions. Last night some weird thing happened and Windows Explorer had to be terminated, and after that there was no lag. Not sure what that means.
Well, I did look at your logs. I do see some issues. Matter of fact I see quite a few issues for being a fresh install. Looks like most of the problems started right after installing Webroot Spysweeper. Matter of fact it actually crashed during the installation and has been giving errors ever since. The first thing to do is uninstall Spysweeper. Do not reinstall it. After uninstalling and restarting your computer, use it for a while. See if the keyboard is acting up. Post new event logs for me after that. Right click My Computer, click Properties, click the hardware tab, click Device Manager. See if there is anything listed with a yellow exclamation point or red X.
I didn't realize that Spysweeper had messed up during installation… I don't remember having any problems with it. I've uninstalled it, but the keyboard is still slow. It's like when you have way too many things going on at the same time (too many programs open, too many downloads, etc), if that makes any sense, but there's nothing going on (that I can tell-the computer isn't thinking). I checked my drivers and everything's accounted for. While I was getting the event logs I noticed that my "Media Center Custom Error Log" is about 64KBs, does this mean there are errors with that too? I haven't even used that! Thanks!

Attachments:

That looks a little better.

Do you have any idea when the problem started?

Can you please use CodeStuff Starter and attach your startup and services list:

How to use CodeStuff Starter to view services and startup items:

  • Please download and install CodeStuff Starter
  • Run Starter by finding it on your start menu after it is installed.
  • When the program opens, you will see three tabs on the main screen (Startup, Processes, Services)
  • Please click the Startup tab and make sure that All Sections is selected on the left hand side under the sections view pane.
  • Once the Startup tab and all sections is selected, please click the File menu and choose Save as HTML.
  • Please save the file to your desktop and call it startup.html.
  • Now, please click the Services tab.
  • Once the Services tab is open, please click the File menu and choose Save as HTML.
  • Please save the file to your desktop and call it services.html.
  • Now that both files have been saved to your desktop, close CodeStuff Starter.
  • Locate the startup.html and services.html files on your desktop. Both files can be attached to the forum, as is. Please do so in your next reply.
It's hard to say when the problem started; I installed everything pretty much one right after the other when I reformatted. So, it would have been after Spysweeper but probably before the drivers and utilities because I did it a little out of order. I'm not really sure though, because the last thing I installed was Microsoft Office and then got on the internet. So around the 16th, when I first got back on. Here is the CodeStuff stuff. My poor desktop is getting so cluttered…!
Yeah, I don't know why you would be having this problem this early on. I notice a lot of errors in the event logs and those are a little bit odd for a fresh install. Unfortunately, because so much stuff got put on at once its hard to tell where things started to mess up. Because this is a fresh install, and because you are learning (right?), I feel your best option is to start over one more time. But, strictly adhere to the order of installation I am telling you. First, install the operating system. Second, install the drivers and utilities. Make sure all devices in device manager are installed correctly (no yellow exlamation points). Third, install all Windows updates but ignore "optional" or "custom" updates at this point. You will have to run through the updates at least 2 or 3 times in order to get ALL the updates. Once that is done make sure your system is running smoothly. Now, go to Adobe.com and install flashplayer and Adobe Reader. Then go to java.com and install the newest java runtime. I noticed in your event logs that A LOT of this stuff was out of order. You installed windows updates over a period of 2 or 3 days. That should've been done a lot sooner, including service pack 3, and before anything else was installed! At this point your computer should have everything it needs to function properly. You can come and get on whatthetech.com, and type around a bit and see how things are working. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that your computer is still unprotected from viruses so you need to stick to well known trustworthy sites. No myspace, no facebook. :) If at any point you begin to have problems you need to know what the last thing was you did. Once your system is running smooth, and the current problem you are talking about no longer exists, THEN you can install your anti-virus (Trend Micro). See if your computer runs ok after that. Then, you can install the remainder of your software a little bit at a time. Do not swamp your computer with stuff until you know how it is functioning after the each install. If you run into an error of any kind, it is time to stop and think about what the significance of that error could be. Do not continue without interpreting the error, if you need help, post the error here. I suggest, if possible, that you download the newest versions of software that are available such as for Trend Micro, Spysweeper, etc. If you install Microsoft Office, then right after you do that, install all the updates for Office, and so on. I wish I had something better to tell you, but if your computer is messing up this early in the game it is time to start over again and make sure it is done right.
:thumbup: I will do these things. The way the instructions you linked to were worded, it sounded like I could install everything right at once. I'll go slowly this time. Unfortunately I'm also in the middle of moving so this might be the last post from me for a while. I'll get back to you when I can and thanks for sticking with me.
I found some time today to work on this. I got as far as installing the video driver and then the keyboard got laggy. I tested using Notepad after every installation, and now that my video driver is installed, I'm back to a laggy keyboard. Here's the order in which I am/was installing the drivers, which is the order that the CD suggested, and the order I used last time: NSS/DSS Chipset Driver (there were two- an ATI and a Richo, and I installed both. ATI required a restart, Richo did not, but I tested the keyboard nonetheless) Video Driver (got it installed, restarted, had the laggy keyboard, got on my sister's laptop to tell you all, and then when mine went to screensaver it froze and I had to power down manually) Communication Driver Input Drivers Audio Drivers Misc. Drivers Patches, Utilities, and Applications I don't have a list of the other multiple options on some of the drivers (since I had to turn it off); I know for one there are like 3-4 different options and last time I only installed the one that was for the US since the other options were for Japan and "English (except the US)." I think that was the communication driver. I await further insight!
Hi Crazydiamond.. Good troubleshooting. :thumbup: Remember, we still suspected you might have a hardware problem with this laptop. Its starting to sound like that. However, the first thing that comes to mind is that you should buy a can of compressed air and blow the heatsinks and fans out on the laptop. Possibly it is overheating and this is the problem you are having with slow performance and hang ups. The computer should not be freezing like that with it being a fresh install like you did. So, this is almost 100% certain it is related to a hardware problem. Making sure that laptop is running cool is the first thing to try. Laptops are notorious for heat problems. Laptops should never be set on a bed, a pillow, or the carpet. Always have a solid, hard surface under the laptop. There is very little clearance under it where fresh air can be pulled in. Blocking it up will cause the laptop to overheat and putting it on carpet or a bed will cause dust and hair to plug the heatsinks up also. So, make sure it is on a hard surface and clean those heatsinks and fans out.
Sorry for the long wait. I haven't done this yet I've been so busy, but I also have a question: To get to my fan and heat sink, do I go in from the keyboard, or from the bottom? I've googled it and get mixed results. Mostly I get results for Toshibas but I added "Dell" to my query and was told to go in from the keyboard. Just as a refresher, I'm using a Dell Insperon 1501 so I'm guessing its the keyboard. But I'll wait til I know for sure. Thanks.
No need to disassemble the laptop under many circumstances. Instead, you will take the can of compressed air and blow it into the cooling vents in the reverse direction of normal air flow. For most laptops the normal direction of air flow is to pull fresh air in from the bottom of the laptop, push it through the heatsink and exhaust it out the back or side of the laptop. Looking at the bottom of the laptop you will see the fan behind the plastic grill. Some laptops have more than one fan. By looking in the same general vicinity at the back or side of the laptop you will see the exhaust grill and behind it will be a copper looking heat sink that looks like a radiator basically. You will take your compressed air, and while the fan is running on the laptop, blow air back into the exhaust opening, through the heatsink. Hopefully this will break up dirt in their and blow it out the bottom of the laptop in a cloud of dust. Next blow air in from the bottom. Repeat this a few times until no more dust comes out. Leave the laptop on for a while and be sure that the fan starts spinning again after a little while if it stopped. Some laptops can be clogged so bad that when you blow compressed air in them it blows chunks of stuff into the fan and blocks it from spinning. By carefully blowing air in the bottom and exhaust multiple times you can usually break the debri loose. Sometimes you can actually force a bit of it to stick out the bottom and then pull it out by hand. Looking inside the inlet grill on the bottom you should be able to see any debri stuck in the fan if it is. If a lot of dust comes out when you blow air into it, there is a good chance the laptop was also over heating.
I've blown out the fan, and there didn't seem to be much dust. I suspect they blew everything out when they replaced the motherboard. Still laggy, but I don't think I'm freezing up on screensavers now. How should I proceed? Should I continue to install the rest of the drivers or wait until we can figure out what's going on?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI