This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So my church is having a garage sale. And someone donated a HP Pavilion 7850 that ran Windows ME. The person who had it, started to install Windows XP but didn't finish installing. So now when the computer starts it goes to the Windows XP Installation page and says "Please insert Pack 2 CD to continue installation" Is there a way to get to remove the installation of Windows XP so it's just Windows ME on the computer? I can do that in DOS Mode right? Also, an IBM ThinkCentre was donated. I got it to run, but it just goes to a black screen after it boots up. It also runs Windows XP.
Hello Seldom Fail.. Welcome to WhatTheTech…

For future reference, we do monitor for new threads closely. It just may be that the techs are busy and have not been able to get to you yet. Generally, you do not want to reply to your own message because without a closer look it appears that someone is already helping you now.

With the first machine that runs Windows ME… If WindowsXP has already been started then it must either be finished, or the Windows ME installation disc will need to be put in and reinstalled. If the system was being "upgraded" from Windows ME, there is instructions on the internet on how to possibly revert back to Windows ME, by uninstalling the changes made by the Windows XP setup. I read quickly about this.. You can try booting to Safe Mode with Command Prompt by pressing F8 before the Windows setup start booting again. When you are at the command prompt type \windows\system32\osuninst.exe and press ENTER. If you can't get to command prompt you're just going to have to reinstall or get the disc it wants.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308233/

The second machine, you said you got up and running, but then said it only goes to a black screen. So, technically speaking, you really didn't get that machine up and running. :) Maybe you can explain what you did to get where you are, and what problems you were having. Also, explain what you mean a little more clearly. Are you saying that you see the Windows XP loading screen, and then about the time it should pull up your desktop is is a black screen? Have you tried pressing F8 before Windows starts to boot to pull up the advanced startup menu and then selecting Enable VGA mode so that you can reset your display settings?
Sorry for bumping. But I have to be able to fix the machine before 3 today :| The first machine is gone now :/ Someone bought it and I'm assuming they know how to deal with the problem on it. The second I have with me now.. I hadn't tried that yet but I will. It goes from the Windows XP loading screen to a black screen (what should be the desktop). But I can move the mouse around. I'm trying to Enable VGA right now. I'll report to you what happens when I get it hooked up ;)
If you see the mouse moving its not a video issue. There could be so many things causing these issues that there isn't any chance of having it running by 3. :) I'm sorry. It could be hardware failure (bad sectors on hard drive, memory errors), it could be viruses, it could just be a corrupt operating system. Donated machines need to have all their hardware checked out and the drive wiped and reloaded with a fresh installation of the Windows operating system that was licensed to the computer.
Ok. I'm going to uninstall Windows XP and install Windows 98 on it. Because those are the only installation CDs I can find right now :/ To do so I would go to Safe Mode with Command Prompt correct?
Are you sure the computer doesn't have a recovery partition on it already? You need to go to IBM's website and look for any information about performing a complete system recovery on the computer. There may simply be a key combination to press when you turn the computer on in order to perform a complete recovery back to the day it was bought. The technical details of installing an operating system are numerous. Its important to understand that installing an operating system consists of many steps beyong simply putting a disc in the computer. There are licensing issues, drivers, updates, security software, etc. that need to be taken care of. You are likely not going to get ANY drivers for Windows 98 for this computer and thus it will be hobbled and not very useful. You're also trying to install an obsolete operating system that most software no longer supports anymore meaning you won't be able to use it. If you must install Windows 98, you will have to consult with Google in order to get all the details necessary to perform the task properly because to explain it here would require an entire document be typed up.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI