This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Internet Explorer

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Suddenly I cannot connect to internet Explorer on my laptop. I am able to use AOL. I have McAfee, WinPatrol and Webroot Spysweeper running on the computer, which is Windows XP. I manually update Malwarebytes and Spyblaster regularly. I am getting a message from WimPatrol that my Google startup page has changed – I answered "no" to all messages (7 or * at least while Malwarebytes was running. Malwarebytes did not find any problems. I don't know where to start or how to fix. I am not very knowledgeable about computers so I will need fairly detailed instructions on how to solve this problem. I have a desktop computer that I can access Google My AOL address is My Google address is Thanks for your help
Hi and Welcome,

Please do the following:


STEP #1

Please download DDS and save it to your desktop.
  • Disable any script blocking protection
  • Double click dds.pif to run the tool.
  • When done, two DDS.txt's will open.
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
—————————————————
Please include the contents of the following in your next reply:

DDS.txt
Attach.txt.



STEP #2


Download the GMER Rootkit Scanner. Unzip it to your Desktop.
Before scanning, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while the scan is being performed. Do not use your computer for anything else during the scan.
Double-click gmer.exe. The program will begin to run.
**Caution**
These types of scans can produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any
"<— ROOKIT" entries unless advised!
If possible rootkit activity is found, you will be asked if you would like to perform a full scan.
  • Click NO
  • In the right panel, you will see a bunch of boxes that have been checked … leave everything checked and ensure the Show all box is un-checked.
  • Now click the Scan button.
    Once the scan is complete, you may receive another notice about rootkit activity.
  • Click OK.
  • GMER will produce a log. Click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "GMER.txt"
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop.

Post the contents of GMER.txt in your next reply.


Please describe how your computer is behaving at the moment, listing any symptoms and problems that you are experiencing.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI