This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Follow-up Question from Resolved Issue

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My issue is resolved (http://forums.whatthetech.com/HJT_Log_Attached_McAfee_No_Longer_Working_t103107.html&p=559058#entry559058) and I am now following all the recommendations made to me to prevent re-infection. I have updated Windows completely, I have installed Spyware Blaster. I am trying to decide aboutinstalling Spywareguard. Your advice is to only have one running real-time anti-spyware protection program running. I am running McAfee Total Protection which as McAfee SiteAdvisor, checks for various things online and has a firewall. As far as I know I do not have Windows Defender running, but I did just update IE to Version 8 which indicates it has a malware prevention tool. Can you give me some idea if what I have would interfere with Spyware Guard? Not sure if I should download or not. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I did not seem to have authority to open topics in other forums. Thanks in advance, Maggie
Hi, As far as I know there haven't been any reported conflicts….. give it a try and see how your system behaves. If you don't like it, it is easily uninstalled. But what you have is good protection, so as long as you practice good surfing habits, you shouldn't have any problems without it. cheers CB
Everything WAS running fine. I have installed everything suggested. Now, I can no longer update my virus definitions on McAfee. It's not like my original problem. I can get to the Security Center web pages easily if I go through a browser. But when I try to update from the Taskbar icon, nothing happens. I fear that I have deleted a needed file or I am now somehow blocking some access. Perhaps in the MVPS Hosts file?? I looked at the file and there were lots of files with McAfee as a note beside the entry in the file, but I certainly do not wish to blindly go deleting entries in the file. Right now I have: Windows Updated Spyware Blaster installed Spyware Guard installed IE reset to control ActiveX ATF Cleaner installed and run to delete everything MVPS Hosts file installed ERUNT installed and run (Recovery Console was installed during one of the steps in my original problem). This is so frustrating!
I rebooted and tried again. McAfee downloaded updates and then updated the virus definitions. All appears to be well at the moment. THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THAT YOU DO!!!!! I don't know what I would do if you were not here.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI