This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

.WMV files mess with monitor resolution

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello. I've downloaded a set of video files today that I'd like to watch. The videos have not caused problems for others who have downloaded them, but when I try opening them (preferred program is media player classic), mpc opens, but as soon as the video has loaded and begins to play, the screen goes black for about 30 seconds and afterward, my desktop has pixels 9 times larger than before and screwy colors. I am presented with an error message asking me to reboot to fix the resolution problem. The reboot does in fact fix the resolution mess, but attempting to play the videos will always mess up the resolution again, remedied with a reboot each time. I've tried downloading the files again and using another source, but they appear to be the same files. They are the only video files I've ever had to give me this problem, but I'm thinking it may be a problem with my computer since no one else I've spoken to who also got the files encountered problems. EDIT: It is not all .wmv that cause this problem, just this set of four that I've downloaded today. EDIT 2: I also tried opening the files with various video programs like VLC and WMP, but the same thing happens. I'd greatly appreciate any help, and if this is a viral or spyware problem, sorry if this is in the wrong section. My computer's details: System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Edition 2002 Service Pack 2 Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz 2.39 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM [HJT Log Uploaded] 📎HJT_Log.txt
Hi.. The first thing I can think of is maybe a codec problem, and that these four video files have something in common that you haven't seen before.

Try replacing your codecs.

You can download a nice pack of codecs here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_lite_codec_pack_download.htm

I would download K-Lite v. 4.8.5 Full.

K-Lite includes Windows Media Player classic.. Use the default installation options which will also reset some of your media player settings if I remember right and possibly help solve the problem.
Just to add to the above, if this is a codec problem you can check if you have the required codec';s using either of the following utility's, it just gives you an alternate to using the packs mentioned, they are great packs, but I prefer to use VLC so I just get the required codec instead of a pack, it just gives you the option this way.
GSpot (no it's not a sex thing lol)
SHERLOCK - The Codec Detective

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI