This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Resolution resets

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello Lani123,

I read your HJT log and Trevuren's help given………..those guys are wonderful I am sure you agree.

I suggest you right click on your desktop >Properties > settings tab > select 1024 x 768 pixels by dragging the slider to the left > colour quality 'medium 16 bit' in the dropdown menu > apply > ok.

Post back and let us know if that has helped with your resolutions problem.

kind regards,
Hi Lani123,

Perhaps if you try the following it may help. there will be no report at the end of the SFC scan, just reboot, and see if your resolution settings have held.

kind regards,
__________

Backup/archive/copy

To be on the safe side I strongly recommend that before doing anything at all you check that your back up/archive/copy of all your important data, drivers, files, settings, work, etc is 100% up to date accurate and reproducible, (even if your back up is even only a day or so out of date, it's worth updating it now.)
Also don't forget to check that you have all your application Installation CD's to hand together with the product keys (including those for Windows itself)

Windows Protected System File Checker SFC

Start>Run
type:
sfc /scannow (note the space between c /)
Have your Win XP installation disc handy as if damaged files are found they will need to be copied across from your disc, if SFC can't find correct copies elsewhere.
Hi Lani123. I also read your HJT forum post and it was quite a journey :pullhair: . I was looking for information on your computer but did not see it. What is the make/model of your computer? I'd like to look at the users manual for it which should be available online as a PDF. In doing some searches on your problem I came across one that mentioned Presentation Mode, which is used when you want to use some kind of projector for your screen image. This forces your computer into 800 x 600 resolution, so please check to see if that is how you are set.
The make (Manufacturer) and Model number will be on the case somewhere. On laptops it's often on the bottom. Is it a Dell, HP, Gateway, Compaq, IBM, etc.? The Users Manual should have the information on Presentation Mode (if it's capable of such), that's why I need the make and model.
Oh! I was under the misapprehension that this was a laptop, my mistake. Forget what I said about Presentation Mode then as that only applies to laptops.

Let me do some more research on this.
Download and run StartupList. Save the output and post it here, preferably as an attachment by using the Browse and Upload buttons below the message input area.

I'd like to see what is starting on your system at boot time.

Are you running any protection software, like Spybot Search & Destroy's Tea Timer or something else that locks the registry and restores it on every boot?
Yeah I have Spybot Search and Destroy which I installed yesterday. But, the resolution already resets before I even installed it. EDIT: Ill try what Tallin said on post 4. I didnt read it because I thought it was part of his sig. :smack:
Hi Lani123, I ran out of ideas, so I called Ztruker in to help me - Would be pleased if you would post back with the result after you perform the Post#4 suggestions. :blink: kind regards,
Lani123,

An sfc scan takes some time, are you sure you used your Windows XP CD and let it run through completely. Here is a link that explains it in full.

Please look at Post # 5 where you said after doing the scan

Just tried it and it still resets. :(

yet later on you thought it part of my signature………. trying to help here.

Very happy to help you, but do follow the link and make sure you inserted your OS CD please.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI