This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Adware

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My computer has recently been infected with the adware known as System Security which, I have learned, is a malicious adware posing as a type of virus scanner. It brings up several pop ups saying that I have certain things wrong with my computer such as being infected with multiple trojan viruses. I have downloaded multiple 'proven' adware removers but when it comes time for it to verify the files and finish installation, this adware cuts it off short. I've tried to open them later but it won't allow me to do so. I tried to download HJT so that I could have more information so that I could get specific help but even that will not work. I hope that you can help me because I really need to use some of the applications on my computer that I am unfortunately unable to open. Thanks. :pullhair:
Hi aggcwg, welcome to the forum.


To make cleaning this machine easier
  • Please do not uninstall/install any programs unless asked to
    It is more difficult when files/programs are appearing in/disappearing from the logs.
  • Please do not run any scans other than those requested
  • Please follow all instructions in the order posted
  • All logs/reports, etc.. must be posted in Notepad. Please ensure that word wrap is unchecked. In notepad click format, uncheck word wrap if it is checked.
  • Do not attach any logs/reports, etc.. unless specifically requested to do so.
  • If you have problems with or do not understand the instructions, Please ask before continuing.
  • Please stay with this thread until given the All Clear. A absence of symptoms does not mean a clean machine.


Download OTListIt2 to your desktop.
  • Double click on OTList2.exe to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • When the window appears, underneath Output at the top change it to Minimal Output
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTListIt.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTListIt2.

Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply. You may need two posts to fit them all in.

No need for a Hijackthis log this time.

Thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI