Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Yahoo Warning - verify your account

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:06 AM

I've just received an email apparently from Yahoo asking for confirmation of account. Below is the email itself: From: "Data Section" <yhupgrade.inc@live.com> To: undisclosed-recipients -----Inline Attachment Follows----- Dear User, We are sorry to inform you that we care currently working on securing ourserver. During this process, an account that is not manually verified by uswill be deleted, Please confirm that you have an account and submit yourinformation for manual verification by one of our customer care representatives. Information that is be to provided is below: User Name: UserID: Password: Date Of Birth:Country (At Signup): Upon confirmation of the information from you, we will manually verify yourYahoo account and, thereby, prevent it from being deleted, We are sorry forany inconvenience this might cause. Account owner "who" refuses to update his/her account after two weeksofreceiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.____________________________________________________________________ ______________________________ Copyright © 2009 Yahoo Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright/IP Policy | Terms of Service Guide to Online Security NOTICE: We collect personal information on this site.To learn more about how we use your information, see our Privacy Policy. I have noticed a few anomalies in how the email is written as far as missing spaces and some spelling mistakes are concerned. My question is: Has anyone got on any views on whether this a valid email from Yahoo - or not? This is actually a club email and I would not want either to lose it or for the information in it to get into the wrong hands. Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered. hedley

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:20 AM

Hi, This has all the hallmarks of a phishing attack designed to extract important details of your user name password etc.
Any organization that asks you to submit this sort of information by email is likely to be an attempted fraud.

The grammatical errors and spelling mistakes tends to confirm this is not a genuine email from Yahoo

It is sensible for you to contact Yahoo to double check, but please do not use any links provided in the "suspect" email.
Open your browser and type in the URL that you usually use.
Well done for not being decieved by this attempt...many folks are decieved, and the consequences can be "very unfortunate and unpleasant"
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

Agreed. it IS a phishing attack.

Note please :

The email itself is not FROM yahoo.

<yhupgrade.inc@live.com>

Legitimate mail from an e-commerce vendor will be personal and NAME---YOU as a customer

To: undisclosed-recipients

They again, will specifically name YOU.

Dear User,

These guys do not even know you are a customer.......

...Please confirm that you have an account....

There are usually ERRORS in grammer or spelling or formatting

...and submit yourinformation for manual verification by one of our customer care representatives.

...we will manually verify yourYahoo account and, thereby, prevent it from being deleted, We are sorry forany inconvenience this might cause.

and others....

They will lie to you

Account owner "who" refuses to update his/her account after two weeksofreceiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.

They can absolutely reactivate any account they want after a few days......I've done it.

This is an attempt at copying the bottom of the yahoo login webpage

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright/IP Policy | Terms of Service Guide to Online Security
NOTICE: We collect personal information on this site.To learn more about how we use your information, see our Privacy Policy.

This is would the correct copy would look like:

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright/IP Policy | Terms of Service | Guide to Online Security

Relevant advertising creates a better web experience. See how

NOTICE: We collect personal information on this site.

To learn more about how we use your information, see our Privacy Policy

Tallon41

#4 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for that. Do I delete the email or mark it as spam? If marked as spam would that stop genuine emails from yahoo coming in? Thanks again for the help, much appreciated, as always. hedley

#5 Tallon41

Tallon41

Silver Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:Bible<br />Sci-fi <br />PC tech.

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for that. Do I delete the email or mark it as spam?

you can mark it, then delete it.

If marked as spam would that stop genuine emails from yahoo coming in?

No, that will add the e-mail address of the sender (which remember is NOT yahoo,) to the spam list. Depending on where your e-mail is being hosted (the part after the @ symbol,) will depend on where the mail ends-up, or if it is seen by you at all. Normally any future e-mails from that sender would just automatically be directed to a Spam-folder, where you would still be abe to see it, they will just no longer appear in your "inbox".

Tallon41

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

I would definitely notify Yahoo as I'm sure they want to be aware of anything phishing attack trying to look like them.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown