Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 91703 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

"Undisclosed Recipients"

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

:wavey: Dear Person: I have 2 questions ...One belongs here , the other I can't find a proper forum to discuss it in....1st :...I have recently been getting a LOT of emails headed " Undisclosed Recipients" most of which are Nigerian based ( some from the UK ) saying I have a ton of money coming...I know ALL these are scams....Problem is , I would like to STOP these emails from ever arriving in my mail box...Using the email security settings upsets my applecart...I would like to stop them dead in their tracks....Is there any way to do this ? ?.....2nd : ...In the "My Profile" of mine on this website , there is a part called "My Content"....Is there a way to delete OR change it....The reason I ask , is that the content is old & some are solved....Or is it permanent...This is NOT a big deal to me....The 1st one IS....Any ideas or help WILL be appreciated....Thank you VERY much in advance.... :unsure:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:I like historical buildings, ghost, and dogs &cats

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hello Ron,
You will need a spam filter (should have one with the E-mail provider that you use).
There is no way to block some one from sending spam. And once your address gets out it will get worse.
DO NOT OPEN these E-mails.
Some contain mal-ware, but all of them get a return receipt that you opened it.
This is so that they will know that your address is valid.
There is a lot of good information here and here.

Deo gratiam habeamus
Thank you for considering a Donation to What the Tech!
The purple text in my post are links for you to click on
Computer CPUs are designed so that the address of any piece of data in virtual memory is tracked by a single integer register. So the total amount of data the computer can keep in its working field depends on the width of these registers. A 32 bit register size enables 232 addresses (4 GB) to be referenced. Switching to a 64 bit register increases the available address space to (approximately) 16 TB. This is why 32 bit operating systems can only use up to 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit operating systems can use much more. (I have a 32 bit system)

#3 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:08 PM

:wavey: HFCG, HELLO again...& thanks for your reply....I did not know that just by opening my emails they get a return reciept...Some I do open but most not...I NEVER open any attachments or links unless I KNOW who it's from & can be trusted....Learned that the hard way....I will check on the spam filter issue....You said ; "There is a lot of good information here and here."....I went to both "here's".....One has to do with SP 3....There's soooo many complaints & problems with it ( & not just here ), I will NOT download and/or install it...I think I'm fine with SP 2....The other has to do with emails , phony MS , malware , etc.....I read some of the entries & picked up some tips.....Thank you.....Could you please answer my 2nd question in my 1st post....... :huh: ......HFCG, Thank you VERY much....Later...... :D

Edited by Ron.M, 18 August 2008 - 01:09 PM.

#4 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

I know have the same question Ron. M. But I don't think we can delete it. It basically shows are most recent posts, and I looked and I don't see any way to delete it. But I'm not a member of the WTT Team so I'll wait for HFCGs answer. @HFCG What does your name stand for?

Edited by Vectris, 18 August 2008 - 05:59 PM.

The internet's most useful tool, Google.

"Life's like a game of Poker, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose" - Garfield

#5 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:16 PM

:wavey: ...HELLO Vectris ,again....I checked also....Nada...( I think you meant the WTT Team )...I too will wait......HFCG:....I checked my email settings & it's set to standard...Now , this is for "Junk mail settings"....Is this the same as a "Spam Filter ?? :huh:

Edited by Ron.M, 18 August 2008 - 02:17 PM.

#6 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

Hippie Freak Computer Geek
Junk filter is the same as spam
I do not know if we can delete our posting history. Have to PM a red to find out.

Deo gratiam habeamus
Computer CPUs are designed so that the address of any piece of data in virtual memory is tracked by a single integer register. So the total amount of data the computer can keep in its working field depends on the width of these registers. A 32 bit register size enables 232 addresses (4 GB) to be referenced. Switching to a 64 bit register increases the available address space to (approximately) 16 TB. This is why 32 bit operating systems can only use up to 4 GB of RAM, and 64 bit operating systems can use much more. (I have a 32 bit system)

#7 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

HFCG: Thanks for both explainations......Need one more------>> "Have to PM a red to find out "....Don't know what PM or " a red" is ? ?.... :huh: .......... Hippie Freak Computer Geek .........:rofl: ..........That's COOL ! !....Please keep in mind we're talking about the "My Profile " recent posts & not the threads , as I can edit or remove all my posts only....Best Regards...Ron

Edited by Ron.M, 19 August 2008 - 12:53 PM.

#8 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:48 PM

PM stands for personal message. In other words private post you send to another user that only he can see. And "a red" means a red titled user, and red titled users are administrators.

#9 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

Vectris: Thank you...I'm learning something new every day...Also a new language , it seems ( computer lingo ) ..... :thumbup: ....I'll wait for HFCG patiently....

#10 drragostea

drragostea

Authentic Member

• Guests
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Kick malware butt.

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:27 PM

Hello Ron. Long time no talk (don't mean to get off-topic). Erm. Is your e-mail client (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!, for example) "Applecart"? Normally, web mail based client's offer "Spam" filters and allow the user to set it from low to high. And of course, mail clients like Yahoo! allow you to "block" the spammer if you configure it.
Spybot Forum Helper.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:56 PM

Ron, I have tried to delete a post from your profile, and do not have the permissions level to do so. You will have to ask an administrator to do so.

Deo gratiam habeamus

#12 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

HFCG & Welcome back , drragostea :....1st ;...HFCG; ....I didn't think anyone but me could delete those posts....If they get too lenghthy I'll ask an administrator....Thanks for checking into that for me....drragostea:....You said "Erm. Is your e-mail client (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!, for example) "Applecart"? " <<---- :rofl: ..... I got it !!! ....1st: I do not know what "Erm" means....2nd:....My ISP is NetZero & I use their "Message Center".....There's only 3 settings...Off, Standard & Exclusive...I have it set on Standard......This is what Exclusive says:.... Exclusive: Except for messages from contacts in my Address Book, email addresses on the Do Not Block List or from NetZero, send all email to my Junk Mail folder .<------I copied that direct from Settings....That's all I have available rite now....

#13 HFCG

HFCG

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:I like historical buildings, ghost, and dogs &amp;cats

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

Erm means um If you spend the time to put the E-mail addresses of people who you want to get E-mail from in to your contacts the Exclusive will block any unwanted E-mails.

Deo gratiam habeamus

#14 Ron.M

Ron.M

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

HFCG: Erm, OK... I surf the web quite a bit...A lot of the websites ask for my email address so they can send me a confirmation email ( as this site did when I first signed on ) , an activation email , or for other requested info.......Since I don't know their email address UNTIL I get it , using Exclusive would block them....Sooooo , this is a Catch-22.....It looks like I'll be using my "send to trash" feature a lot....I have used "Block Sender" But they keep comin & comin.. ( The Nigerians , etc..)...I'm only allowed 750 listings in the "Block Sender" catagory & I could fill it up rather quickly....So I'll live with it...You'da thunk that there would be a "Magic Bullet" that would stop any email addressed "Undisclosed Recipients".....MANY THANKS to EVERYONE for ALL their efforts....I am outta here....Ron.M .........:popcorn:

#15 DanielD

DanielD

Silver Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:15 PM

Just a suggestion before you go, but I keep a second e-mail which I use for the sole purpose of activating accounts and such. Sort of like a one-time use e-mail. Then if it gets spammed to high heaven, I don't care as I just need to be able to find activation e-mails for new accounts and such.