Hp Pavilion Dv2000 (dv2310us)
AMD Turion ™ 64 X2
960 MB Ram ( 1 GB)
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150
Windows Vista
Long story short, I fell victim to the blue screen of death. I sent the notebook into HP they replaced the motherboard, according to them. Now it takes really long to boot up. Once it hits the username screen its around 10 minutes before I can start using it. I tried disabling all the start-up programs and it does not help. I was told that the best thing to do is upgrade the RAM to 2 GB. I am just unsure of which exact RAM I should purchase. Here is a pic of my current RAM
Hi
If it booted up in a reasonable time before HP replaced the motherboard and now it takes over 10 minutes, then its best to go back to HP; register a complaint and ask them to do the job properly this time. The "repair" should still be under guarantee.
More memory with an upgrade to 2Gb is probably a good idea, but don't expect it to solve the boot up time problem….
If you want to increase your RAM go here:
www.crucial.com
and allow their scanner to scan your system (you will need to accept an Active X control that is generally considered safe from that site)
The Crucial scanner will take a couple of minutes or so and will hopefully then identify your existing memory type and give you recommendations for compatible memory, it will also provide an estimate of prices)
Note you don't have to buy the memory from Crucial (unless you want to) but they have served many folks well in the past…As always its your call on this one.
I recommend that you do NOT install any extra memory or open up your computer until the fault has been corrected by HP…it would not be wise to prejudice any rights you may have under the guarantee/warranty service agreement etc
Regards
paws
Thanks for the reply. Here is the thing the replacement was done out of warranty. I had the book for around two years before it went bad. They gave me an extra 3 months of warranty on the repair. Now, I rarely use the book. Usually my mom uses it. It was originally purchased because my desktop had to be shipped to SONY for hardware issues. I never noticed how slow it was because I never used it after it was repaired. My mom kept complaining that it was extremely slow but I would tell her that she was just impatient. Recently my desktop has had an issue with malware so I had to jump back on the book.
Long story short, I contacted HP but since I am calling close to six months later they said I am not covered anymore. They want 400 bucks just to look at it.
» HP Pavilion dv2000 CTO Notebook PC <— this one is probably yours unless it has the "t" or "z" notation.
» HP Pavilion dv2000t CTO Notebook PC
» HP Pavilion dv2000z CTO Notebook PC
Hi , Yes the memory should work Ok…however if you get it from Crucial they will probably give you a guarantee that it is compatible with your machine……… as always the choice is yours.
As mentioned in my previous post, please dont expect your boot up times to be cut drastically by the addition of extra RAM…… a second or 3 ..thats all.
There is obviously either a hardware problem with the computer or some configuration errors that are causing the delayed boot times…
It might be best to reconfigure the lappy's operating system and start ups before doing anything else.
Try putting in a Live distro of Linux (Ubuntu is good) and boot from it, this will run from the CD/DVD in memory without writing or reading to/from the hard drive, …see how long it takes to boot to the desktop…..if its significantly less than the 10 mins plus ( as with windows) it points towards a configuration error in Windows or your applications thats the culprit..
Regards
paws
I think I am going to order from crucial. I tried my local Frys and they kept giving me the wrong one. Where can I get that linux you were talking about?