This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

PC Build Help

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Howdy all,

I've built plenty of computers before, but this is the first build I've specced out on my own. I'm going to be putting together 6 for an office, so I want to get things right. I'm pretty sure its good, but I do hve one or two questions.

CPU and Mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet…st=Combo.181196
RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820231122
HDD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16822136098
GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814127415
Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811147098

The last two are what worry me. The primary use for these computers is going to be coding. As such, I want to keep them as low energy consumption as possible, and I think 300W is plenty.

However, I'm throwing in a decent GPU so we can have a company LAN party every couple weeks. This is a startup, so everyone working at the office will probably be a gamer. Am I going to run into big problems with the computer when its under load with only a 300W built in PSU?

Second minor question is the mobo is only PCI Express 1.0, while the GPU is 2.0. I'm pretty sure I read that it won't be a problem.

Regards,

Target
Howdy Target,

You are correct that PCI_E 2.0 cards are "backwards compatible" with PCI_E 1.0 motherboards. The card will simply run at the lower PCI_E 1.0 speed.

Your parts look good for an inexpensive setup but I would change the case and PSU.

First off get them separately.

I would recommend at least a 350 watt PSU for running that graphics card.

Note that when in use a computer only uses the power it draws. Even if you had a 500 watt PSU and your system only required 300 watts at the time that is all it will draw. The wattage rating applies to the maximum available if needed.

Anyway we would be glad to browse Newegg for case and PSU ideas. Can you give us an estimated budget you are working with?

How much can we spend on the case and PSU? A good basic case with front and read or side and rear fans can be fairly inexpensive but try and get 120mm fans. Side and rear is good.

As to the PSU you want to spend a little more here for quality. This is a vital component and quality is very important. Again I'd suggest at least 350 watts.

Let us know what we can spend and we will go shopping.
I'm trying to keep the system builds to about $400 total. That build weighed in at $396 I think. Am I in serious danger with the above case and PSU? Based on power consumption benchmarks I found online, at full tilt it should only draw 159 Watts, giving it about a 141W buffer. The primary purpose is a good solid coding machine that draws very little power. Secondary purpose is a decent LAN computer after 14 hour work days. Every computer will get duel 19 inch monitors. Probably Dells @$130 each. I've had good luck with Dell monitors.

Thanks a ton for any help.

On an unrelated note, I'm building a much better rig for myself. I've put the order in, but have time to alter it. Let me know what you think.

Boot Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820208346
HHD - Same as above machine
PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817814012
CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115202
Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16813131359
Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811129025
RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820145224
GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814127420

I don't care about overclocking at all, and will have this machine at work, so the GPU was chosen for decent performance and very low power consumption. In all, I think this rig is pretty powerful for gaming, relatively future proof, and low power consuming when not fired up for gaming. Price wasn't really an issue within reason. Total build price came in under $1400 I think.


Regards,

Target
Currently you have $278.95 without case and PSU.

So we have @ $120 for case and PSU.

Here are 3 cases I like. Dual 120mm fans. The Rosewill also shows a Promo code for an additional @20 off.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811119152

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811144217

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811147033

That search was between $50 & $100. Here is the only find I like below $50 (not counting savings offers):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811119068

That leaves us about $70 for a quality PSU:

Enermax is very good quality manufacturer and here is a nice deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817194038

Here is another also with a rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817702014

Also:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817139003

Let us know what you think. The above with your other pieces (not including monitor) comes in @ $400.


—> As to your other system I will check it out when I get more time.
My only concern with your proposed build is the case size. I really liked having a very small form factor case. I was going to be able to mount those computers beneath the desks very very easily. I'm not completely opposed to a larger case, but if the 300W PSU will work I'd just assume stick with it. Would you consider the case and PSU I posted to be a recipe for disaster or just not using best practices? How did you like the build for the second comp? Target
Well a few points on further reflection. That case is a small form factor/flex case as you note. I hadn't noticed that previously. As such the graphics card you list will not fit. For that case you would need a low profile graphics card with a half height bracket. Next point in general a PSU under $50 is a coin toss. You may need a new one next year. However a $75 or $100 unit will most likely last a good long time. So rather than replacing cheap PSUs you might as well get a quality model to begin with. Also flex PSUs are not that easy to find. We have a few threads here were people are searching for such beasts without much luck. Also Rosewill is notorious for making bad PSUs. You have many more options with a mid tower case. Going small form factor is literally cramping your options and I'd only suggest it if a mid tower is totally not feasible. …… As to your second build I am sorry I have not had the time yet to review it. Got quite slammed with work the past few days. Hopefully I can check it out tonight or tomorrow. I am building a new one as well so will be browsing Newegg soon.

On an unrelated note, I'm building a much better rig for myself. I've put the order in, but have time to alter it. Let me know what you think.

Boot Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820208346
HHD - Same as above machine
PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16817814012
CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16819115202
Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16813131359
Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16811129025
RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16820145224
GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16814127420

I don't care about overclocking at all, and will have this machine at work, so the GPU was chosen for decent performance and very low power consumption. In all, I think this rig is pretty powerful for gaming, relatively future proof, and low power consuming when not fired up for gaming. Price wasn't really an issue within reason. Total build price came in under $1400 I think.


Regards,

Target


Sorry it took so long to review but that is pretty sweet indeed.

I would read some pro reviews on the mobo just because there were some Newegg posted issues but it appears to be a high end board.

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&…mp;aq=f&oq=

Also with all the other perks you are loading I would go for a high end graphics card. Why limit your graphics when you are loading such other high end components?
I went with a lower end mobo because the 4830 uses WAY less power than the other components. The system as I've specced it will be extremely upgradable, pretty darn fast with most games today, yet sip power during the day when I'm using it. I may regret getting it, but at $70 I can always upgrade without taking too much of a loss. Target

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI