TomHax
Topic Starter
Hi,
I recently formatted my PC due to a significant BIOS error. I am now running Windows XP Home Edition SP3.
Unfortunately, a few days after formatting I began encountering issues with my Control Panel. Here's a screenshot:
[external image: Posted Image]
The problems are associated with the utilities which are outlined with a red box.
Problem 1)
As you can see, there are three icons in the top left-hand corner which are obviously corrupt in some way. When I click them absolutely nothing happens. Nothing opens, and I get no error message. I have found out that they are the following utilitiy:
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\netsetup.cpl
Problem 2)
Add/Remove programs. When I click it absolutely nothing happens. Nothing opens, and I get no error message. I get the "timer mouse" for about a split second and then an error noise. I have tried opening it via Run commands, but it still does not open.
Problem 3)
I needed to make a static IP for something today, so I opened Network Connections and right-clicked on my connection icon to select "Properties". After doing this a window opens and closes and a bar appears on my task bar for what seems like half a milisecond and disappears abruptly. Again, no response. I can't even open properties.
————————
I did patch my UXTheme.dll briefly to install a 3rd party theme, but after these problems started occuring I uninstalled it promptly and applied the default XP Theme.
I have tried System Restore but to no avail.
Cpl run commands do not work.
I have scanned my system with AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware. Both turned up no results.
I have run Glary Registry Repair and fixed the issues it turned up, but it did not help.
I put in the XP Home Edition CD and ran sfc /scannow but it did nothing.
————————
What more can I possibly do? I've only just formatted and re-installed the OS so I don't want to go doing that again. I've only just finished replacing my crucial files and putting all my software back on.
This whole Control Panel issue is driving me crazy. Its extremely frustrating.
Thankyou for bothering to read all this. Sorry it's so long, I just wanted to explain the problem in-depth and say what I have already tried so nobody suggests something which I've already attempted.
Any help would be MUCH MUCH appreciated.
Is there a way to replace the entire Control Panel suite from the XP CD?
Thanks in advance,
TomHax.
I recently formatted my PC due to a significant BIOS error. I am now running Windows XP Home Edition SP3.
Unfortunately, a few days after formatting I began encountering issues with my Control Panel. Here's a screenshot:
[external image: Posted Image]
The problems are associated with the utilities which are outlined with a red box.
Problem 1)
As you can see, there are three icons in the top left-hand corner which are obviously corrupt in some way. When I click them absolutely nothing happens. Nothing opens, and I get no error message. I have found out that they are the following utilitiy:
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\netsetup.cpl
Problem 2)
Add/Remove programs. When I click it absolutely nothing happens. Nothing opens, and I get no error message. I get the "timer mouse" for about a split second and then an error noise. I have tried opening it via Run commands, but it still does not open.
Problem 3)
I needed to make a static IP for something today, so I opened Network Connections and right-clicked on my connection icon to select "Properties". After doing this a window opens and closes and a bar appears on my task bar for what seems like half a milisecond and disappears abruptly. Again, no response. I can't even open properties.
————————
I did patch my UXTheme.dll briefly to install a 3rd party theme, but after these problems started occuring I uninstalled it promptly and applied the default XP Theme.
I have tried System Restore but to no avail.
Cpl run commands do not work.
I have scanned my system with AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition and MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware. Both turned up no results.
I have run Glary Registry Repair and fixed the issues it turned up, but it did not help.
I put in the XP Home Edition CD and ran sfc /scannow but it did nothing.
————————
What more can I possibly do? I've only just formatted and re-installed the OS so I don't want to go doing that again. I've only just finished replacing my crucial files and putting all my software back on.
This whole Control Panel issue is driving me crazy. Its extremely frustrating.
Thankyou for bothering to read all this. Sorry it's so long, I just wanted to explain the problem in-depth and say what I have already tried so nobody suggests something which I've already attempted.
Any help would be MUCH MUCH appreciated.
Is there a way to replace the entire Control Panel suite from the XP CD?
Thanks in advance,
TomHax.