This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Cannot access add/remove programs

19 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Running Windows XP, service packs 2 and 3, IE 8 ..I formatted my computer a few weeks ago and everything was working fine, till this past Sat..I tried to open add/remove programs to delete a game we had finished..and got 'an exception occurred while trying to run' "C\WINDOWS/system32\shell32.dll,COntrol_RunDLLappwiz.cpl" This happens EVERY time I try to open it..I tried system restore going back a day..said no changes had been made, so it couldn't do it..I KNOW this program worked last Tues..would going to system restore to that point help?..or would running scandisk on start up fix it?..thanks in advance for any suggestions..I really don't want to have to reformat the computer again this soon!..someone also suggested to me that a Windows update may have caused it..I have the computer set to notify me, but not to automatically put in updates..the only updates I have done recently are Defender ones! any way to find out if updates did cause it?
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question.

Try running this command from a Start / Run box: control appwiz.cpl

That should also open the Add/Remove Programs applet. If that works then we can proceed to fix the other problem.
Ztruker…..thanks for getting back to me..but I get the same exception when going to start/run and typing in control appwiz.cpl!! (well ALMOST the same)..this one just says an exeption occured while trying to run 'shell21.dll,Control-Run DLL appwiz.cpl"..so any other ideas how to fix it? I don't know what other problem you are referring to though, as this is the only one!
By "other" I meant you original problem if my workaround worked.

Two things I can think of for you to try.

1. Click on Start then Run , type REGSVR32 SHELL32.DLL and click OK. That will reregister shell32.dll.

2. Run System File Checker (SFC). Do you have a XP install CD? If yes, click Start then Run , type sfc /scannow and click OK. It will check for any missing or corrupted system files and replace them. The CD is needed in case there are missing or corrupted system files in C:\Windows\system32\dllcache, which is where sfc looks for replacement files.

If you don't have a XP install CD, then see the info here on editing the registry to point SFC to an area on your hard drive for the necessary files. Before doing this though, please backup the registry. Detailed instructions for doing this are here: How to backup and restore Windows XP registry using ERUNT
Hello again Ztruker..Happy Thanksgiving.. Thank you for your continued help… I tried the first..typing that into the run box gave me something that said LoadLibrary("SHELL21.DLL) FAILED-The specified module coule not be found as to the second..the system file checker..I have a Sony Vaio…the only disks that came with it are 3 recovery disks and a couple of application ones..when I format, I just start with #1 of the recovery, then go to 2, and 3 when it asks..how can I find out which one has the Windows XP on it?..or should I just put the #1 in and try explore this cd?… I am waiting for further instructions from you on how to proceed, when you have time to come back and look..lol I am hesitant about doing anything with the registry as my experience with a computer is pretty limited to running it and formatting it! Thanks again for your help..look forward to any more answers you can provide!
Very strange. There is no shell21.dll on my XP Pro system. Also, entering regsvr32 shell32dll.dll works correctly, so I don't know why it would be looking for shell21.dll on your computer. Something is corrupted or missing (registry or file) on your system.

See here for some other possibilities: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668

This KB article provides a lot for you to look at so take your time. A lot of it includes looking at the registry which is what it's going to take to fix this. Post back with any questions.

SFC won't work with your Sony recovery disks as they are not actual XP install disks.

If you are hesitant to mess with the registry, remember, if you install and run ERUNT first then you have a full backup so recovery is easy. The alternative is another reinstall using the recovery discs. In reality, that might be the quicker fix.

How ever you proceed, once this is corrected, it would be a good idea to setup a good image backup strategy, preferable using software like Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost and an external hard drive. Then if a problem occurs, recovery is only 20-30 minutes away and you will be right back to when your backup was created. They key is to keep it current.
Ztruker (Rich)…Once again, I thank you for all of your helpful suggestions..I don't have XP Pro, however..I have XP Home..maybe that's the difference? ..and you confused me this time..this time the thing you said to try typing was regsvr32 shell32dll.dll (with 2 dll's?)..I tried that , but got the same thing..that the load library (shell32dll.dll failed!) I will try everything you have said, running ERUNT, backing up the registry, etc..using formatting again as a last result..Will post back here if I ever get this straightened out..was wondering one thing though..do you have any idea how my registry could have gotten corrupted or be missing so soon after formatting?..never had that problem before so am a little confused..I ran scan disk..it did find a corrupt file somewhere..but it said it removed it or fixed it or something! Thanks again so much! Lynn
No, that was a typo on my part, should have been regsvr32 shell32.dll as I mentioned the first time.

The registry is the Achilles heel of Windows operating systems. Everything writes to it, and some don't do a very good job of it. Corruption happens a lot.

Did you look through the MS KB article I gave you? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266668
Hi again Rich..I haven't had a chance to look at that article yet..but I did just try typing in regsvr32 shell32.dll again..this time it said "dllRegisterServer in shell21.dll succeeded"..I have no idea what that means though..I just tired opening add/remove programs again..and got the same exception..will look thru that article tomorrow and see if I can make any sense of it Thanks again..I really appreciate your taking the time to try and help me with this! Lynn
As I said, there is a lot of information there. Try this one first: # Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD. # At the prompt, type REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL. If you get into the section on re-registering a lot of dll files, I can put them all into a batch file so it will be easier and safer to do. Hmmm, I'll do that now and add the batch files here in case you need them. The ones that are marked (not registerable) I placed a * in front of so they won't execute. There are two files in the following zip file, batch1.bat and batch2.bat. They correspond to the first and second set of regsvr32 lists in the KB article. Unzip then run them one at a time to see if it makes any difference. Only do this the suggestions preceeding that section don't help. 📎Batchfile.zip
Hello again Rich…
I read thru that microsoft article…and also the ERUNT one…now a couple of questions before I proceed with anything!
There are some things in that article that confused me (big surprise?..lol)..it tells you to look in the registry for all those entries, but doesn't tell me where the registry is! how do I actually find it?

also when it gets down to step 5, (performing an inplace upgrade), it's referring to windows 2000…does it also apply to XP?

and then it says to check the registry keys..but where do I find those? (sorry, not trying to sound stupid..but when it gets to the technical stuff..I have to have it spelled out for me..lol)..

also this line "Use the command line REGSVR32 [path\filename] to register each of the following files:" where it says [path/filename] do I insert something in there or will it just say [path/filename] when I register them?..my main hard drive letter is C..but what would I add if I have to insert something other than the words path/filename?

You suggested-"The alternative is another reinstall using the recovery discs. In reality, that might be the quicker fix."..would this involve putting in the recovery disks and doing a full format..or can it just reinstall the registry files and leave everything else alone?

If it means a full format again, I would rather use that as a last option!

So now the steps I take…
1..I install ERUNT first? if I read anything correctly, this will backup my registry files?..(I don't have an external hard drive, so can't back them up to there)….I will have to get a copy of Norton Ghost soon also!…so for now, just running ERUNT will put a backup of the registry somewhere in my computer with a restore point, correct?

2…after installing ERUNT…do I then use the zip files you sent..or do I use this as you suggested…"# Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD.
# At the prompt, type REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL

I hope some of my questions make sense to you..you really seem to know what you are talking about..my guess is that you work as some kind of computer expert!


I'm just not sure in which order you want me to try things..lol!! could you let me know in which order to try what please?
Thanks again, you don't know how much I appreciate your help!

Lynn

also…1 other thing..I had posted the same problem on the "Microsoft Community Board'..(.before I found the whatthetech board,)and never got any reply till a little while ago..supposedly it's a tech from Microsoft..she pointed out 3 things…
first, the same Microsoft KB page you did, lol,
second system restore of XP , but she directed me to an article about running restore from safe mode (it says if you cannot run XP, but mine runs fine!)..which still brings me back to the question..if I run system restore to a point before this problem happened, would it fix it or make it worse? why would she be telling me to run it in safe mode?

and the third, she directed me to this page http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas…library/wizcpl/
what do you think about trying that page? at this point I think I trust YOU more than Microsoft..lol!!
Thanks again
Lynn,

Thank you for the kind words you've directed to Ztruker.
I agree whole-heartedly!

I hope some of my questions make sense to you..you really seem to know what you are talking about..my guess is that you work as some kind of computer expert!


Ztruker is much more than a common - "some kind of computer expert".
He is a knowledgeable Tech who is not afraid to post his fix instructions openly for everyone, experts and newbies alike, to read and review.
You'll never get that kind of openness from the big-box stores that only do their work behind a curtain or in the back room.

I'm glad you decided to become a Member, and use WhatTheTech Forums as one of your resources.

Best Regards
Hello Doug, and thanks for the warm welcome to WhattheTech! Phew…for a minute I thought I was in trouble…lol…I didn't mean to infer that Rich was a 'common computer expert'..I figured he had to be a guy who knew his stuff well..or he wouldn't be trying to help others. Believe me, from now on when I have a problem, Microsoft won't be the first place I look (they must be big box..cause they either don't respond, or talk down to you)..WhattheTech will be my first stop! thanks again for the welcome, and for agreeing with me about Ztruker! I hope all the other posters who have problems are given such 'one on one' attention! Lynn
You are welcome Lynn. I understood your meaning with no problem, and decided to offer my additional appreciation. Thanks again for your kind words about Ztruker and WTT Forums. Best Regards
:blush: Thanks for the kind words.

The order I would like you to take is:

1. Install and run ERUNT so you have a good, full backup of your registry.
2. From a Command Prompt (cmd prompt) run REGSVR32 APPWIZ.CPL, see if that helps.

DO NOT use the software recommended at liutilities.com. It's a free download but then it costs $$ to fix anything it finds, and it ALWAYS happens to find something to fix (surprise, surprise).

To look at registry entries, click on Start then Run, type regedit and press Enter.

Here is a brief overview of the registry editor from Microsoft: Registry Editor overview

If you see any that are incorrect (do not match what the article I pointed you to states), then download and unzip the file I posted. Once you have the two batch files, batch1.bat and batch2.bat, double click on each in turn. Do batch1 first, then check to see if it made a difference. If not, run batch2 and check again.

Let me know how you make out.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI