This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

reformatting help

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello all! I need to reformat my computer but don't have the original cd. I do have the original disk from my other computer. Is it ok to use that cd to reformat? both systems are windows xp and i do have the serial. Thanks in advance.
Hi junior2. If the computer you are going to format and install XP on had the same version of XP as the CD, then it will work. If not, it will probably not work, or it will install but you won't be able to Activate it. By this I mean if they are both OEM versions of XP Home or XP Pro or both are full retail versions of Home or Pro then you should have no problem. Why are you going to reformat? Are you having problems that cannot be fixed, malware?
yeah i had a bad rootkit problem that disabled the computer. It is working again but there are still issues so I am just going to reformat to be safe. Thanks for your help!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI