Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Redirected from malware board... hardware problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grayharjv

grayharjv

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

The folks over on the malware board suggested I take this up here, and see if the problem isn't more hardware than malignant software.

Firefox is crashing often and without warning, and when it does run, it is sometime getting redirected to unrelated sites, and sometimes sites I know are running, are inaccessible (i.e. mcafee.com where I get "The specified method is not supported").

Beyond the weird browser stuff there are no additional hardware symptoms. Below is a link to the malware thread...

http://forums.whatth...ed_t102216.html

Any thoughts?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hi grayharjv

Read through your malware thread, seems quite the ordeal. And I can't promise you this will
be any easier....unfortunate so. But lets hope it is easier ;)

There can be many reason as to why FireFox crash. But mostly all are software related. If it
was hardware related, you would see other symptoms as well. If RAM for instance, BSOD's
(Blue screen of Death) would be showing, if heating you'd experience a slowdown of performance
over time, etc. I might have this topic moved to the Browser forum instead.

Does IE also crash the same way?
Or get redirects?

Do you get redirects if using this free proxy when surfing: http://www.hidemyass.com/

Regards

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#3 grayharjv

grayharjv

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for the help. I have had problems with both FF and IE, though the problems look different. FF will crash, experiences redirects on links found in google, and has some sites which are unreadable (i.e. mcafee.com). IE hasn't been crashing as much as simply being unable to open many sites. I tried hidemyass with a couple of interesting results. I was able to go directly to mcafee.com by typing in the address (good news). I was also able to navigate directly (typing in the address) for other sites like wikipedia and youtube. However, when I went to google and attempted to follow links within the search results to the same places, I get a "file not found" error. At yahoo.com (within hidemyass) when I type in a search I don't even get a result page, but rather an error message. Not sure if this is a result of my own problems or something inherent in hidemyass. Thoughts?