This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Messenger

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I believe the location in the lower right is a task bar but correct me if I am wrong. I have tried services.msc, disable etc. Also tried messenger preferences . I have windows xp sp3 and run msie 7. I have two identities with Outlook Express and although I have somehow fixed the messenger from appearing when I open O.E. on the desktop I forgot how to do it so it always appears on the lap top. How can I remove it with out getting into the registry? Thank you

Hello
I believe the location in the lower right is a task bar but correct me if I am wrong.


WIth WIndows 95/98 it was called the "system tray."

With Windows XP (maybe 2000 also), it became the "Notification area."
Hi Thank you for clarifying the terms, Apple. Thes I should have Googled but I was in a hasty dialogue with a friend about system tray vs. task bar etc. . Vectris, I usually do Google before posting but I found nothing that worked for xp sp3 re: ridding the Windows messenger icon from the notification area. The referral unfortunately did not work but I did find the answer. Use Components in add/remove to stop the messenger from appearing when O.E. opens. Thanx again all.
Hello Pete. You might need to disable the Messenger service to remove the icon. Please try the instructions suggested here and see if they help or not. :)

Good Luck.

– Mohit
Mohit See my previous post as I did stop Windows Messenger. The messenger you are referring to is found at run 'services.msc' without quotes. Mine is already disabled. Thanx for the note

Hello Pete. You might need to disable the Messenger service to remove the icon. Please try the instructions suggested here and see if they help or not. :)

Good Luck.

– Mohit


The "messenger" service is strictly related to sending internetwork messages between hosts. It is always disabled by default because it has been the source of many security risks (it does not authenticate anyone, it just pops up a message with whatever from whomever wants to send it. Those without a firewall can be tricked.) It is, however, useful in a networked environment to send status messages and warnings. Its not related to Windows messenger that always loads when outlook express is opened.

The "messenger" service is strictly related to sending internetwork messages between hosts. It is always disabled by default because it has been the source of many security risks (it does not authenticate anyone, it just pops up a message with whatever from whomever wants to send it. Those without a firewall can be tricked.) It is, however, useful in a networked environment to send status messages and warnings. Its not related to Windows messenger that always loads when outlook express is opened.

Thanks for the information Apple. I will keep that in mind. :thumb:

– Mohit

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI