This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows Messenger Problem

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Installed with my new notebook was windows messenger version 4.7. Whenever it is opened it logs on online which is not what I want to happen but can't seem to stop this happening. I have unchecked all boxes that are relevant to ensure it doesn't open up when windows starts but can't stop it logging on when opened. To overcome the problem I downloaed Windows Live Messenger version 8.1 believing it would overwrite the earlier version but in fact I now have 2 versions. I can see no way to uninstall the earlier version as it's not listed in the uninstall/change programmes in Control Panel. Can anyone help so that I can uninstall the earlier version of Messenger? Thanks in advance. NormanR
Hi NormanR,

To disable Windows Messenger try the following

  • Start
  • Control Panel
  • Add and Remove
  • 'Add/Remove Windows Components' in the left pane
  • If Windows Messenger is enabled
  • Take the tick out of the little box next to WM
  • Follow along clicking "Next"
  • I would then reboot
On reboot you should find that your problem is over.

Keep us posted how it goes.

kind regards,

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI