Software
Rotten IE
4 min read
karhn
Topic Starter
I installed IE8.I uninstalled it and it rolled back to IE7 but i done a system restore and it became half-half etc…
When i go to hotmail with IE, i get a message about windows cardspace.
karhn
Any idea?
Doug
Consider installing .NET Framework 3.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
If your machine already has .NET Framework 3.0, Consider installing the incremental upgrade to .NET Framework 3.5
Note: Uninstall prior versions of .Net Framework 3.5 before installing this upgrade.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
If your machine already has .NET Framework 3.0, Consider installing the incremental upgrade to .NET Framework 3.5
Note: Uninstall prior versions of .Net Framework 3.5 before installing this upgrade.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
karhn
i have
.NET Framework 1.1
.NET Framework 2.0 SP2
.NET Framework 3.0 SP2
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Ztruker
Try increasing the size of allocated space for event logs. One of CardSpace's bugs is to treat a full log as a critical error and terminate with the error message you are seeing.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en…9c-45e49ab9e764
Click on Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter of click Go.
In the right pane, right click on each size and double it. Make the 512KB ones 1024KB and the 64KB one 128KB.
See if that helps.
Alternatively, you could just clear all events from the right click context menu and see if that helps.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en…9c-45e49ab9e764
Click on Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter of click Go.
In the right pane, right click on each size and double it. Make the 512KB ones 1024KB and the 64KB one 128KB.
See if that helps.
Alternatively, you could just clear all events from the right click context menu and see if that helps.
karhn
What does that have to do with Cardspace error and IE?
Ztruker
Cardspace = Cardspace.
Doesn't matter where/how it's invoked. As far as I know there is only one, so the info I gave you may resolve the problem. It's easy to do and if it doesn't help you can set it back just as easily.
karhn
It didn't help, it still shows windows cardspace and as usual it appears 3 times.
Doug
Read Suggestion #19 in — Windows CardSpace - Help as it appears in your Control Panel:
Also, when you double-click on Windows CardSpace in your Control Panel, a Warning/Error panel may appear AND it will give you an option to REPAIR.
________________________
If the above two ideas don't help, then please look in Event Viewer > Application
Please copy the complete text of any Error (related to CardSpace) into a .txt file and copy paste it here into your next Reply
Also, when you double-click on Windows CardSpace in your Control Panel, a Warning/Error panel may appear AND it will give you an option to REPAIR.
________________________
If the above two ideas don't help, then please look in Event Viewer > Application
Please copy the complete text of any Error (related to CardSpace) into a .txt file and copy paste it here into your next Reply
karhn
When i open windows cardspace, it shows "windows cardspace has encountered a problem" and an error saying "The windows cardspace service cannot be started. The service may have been disabled by your administrator".
Faulting application infocard.exe, version 3.0.4506.2152, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5781, fault address 0x00012afb. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
Faulting application infocard.exe, version 3.0.4506.2152, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5781, fault address 0x00012afb. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp
Doug
I am not a Windows CardSpace user, so may not be of much help.
But for what it's worth….
Here's how I have the Services set
CardSpace_Services.jpg
Make yours look the same, and then let us know how things work for you.
_____________-
Also, in Pontrol Panel - Windows CardSpace you may need to look into Preferences and be sure that "enable" has a checkmark tick for applications that use CardSpace.
_________________-
I'm also not a big fan of .Net Framework, though I now have it running on almost all of my machines due to application dependencies of various office/business related third-party software.
I mention "not being a big fan" because I have seen so many machines that were running just fine, until they allowed .Net Framework versions to be installed via MS Updates. To their credit, MS seems to have cleaned up the functionality of .Net Framework, but I am still only a reluctant user.
Why mention any of the above?
Well, unless you separately installed Windows CardSpace, you got it placed on your machine the same way I did… via MS auto-updates, particularly when .Net Framework 3.0 was installed.
You "may" be able to clear up any problems you are having with CardSpace, by uninstalling and then reinstalling .Net Framework 3.0, and then updating to .Net Framework 3.5
I would "probably" uninstall "all versions of .Net Framework.
But, you should know that several valued applications have .net framework as a dependency.
For instance:
Quicken
Quick Books
Turbo Tax
MS Passport
So Beware, that if you uninstall .net Frameworks, your applications may not work properly until you reinstall .net framework and update it.
karhn
It's the same when i opened it.
I can't open windows cardspace from control panel, it would show "windows cardspace has encountered a problem" and an error saying "The windows cardspace service cannot be started. The service may have been disabled by your administrator".
karhn
You "may" be able to clear up any problems you are having with CardSpace, by uninstalling and then reinstalling .Net Framework 3.0, and then updating to .Net Framework 3.5
I would "probably" uninstall "all versions of .Net Framework.
But, you should know that several valued applications have .net framework as a dependency.
For instance:
Quicken
Quick Books
Turbo Tax
MS Passport
So Beware, that if you uninstall .net Frameworks, your applications may not work properly until you reinstall .net framework and update it.
I couldn't uninstall all .net Frameworks version except for .NET Framework 1.1.
It says i need a disc and error uninstalling .NET Framework 3.5.
Any Idea?
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI