CPU Fan Error… hmmm… Is that CPU heatsink/fan installed backwards? Or does the fan suck through the heatsink instead of blow?
Other than that, looks nice.
Oh dear, it looks as if i've installed it backwards. Would that be causing the problem? If i took it off and turned it around, would i get the CPU fan error still or would that solve it?
Oh, so your solution mentioned in post #2 didn't already work?
I just noticed it was backwards, although that shouldn't have changed any error messages as there are no sensors that detect if the CPU heatsink/fan is placed blowing a particular way or other… And seeing as I can't think of any off the top of my head (doesn't mean there aren't any) that suck instead of blow… (I could have even researched it with the make/model you put in post #1).
The reason is as there are some cases which have a top exhaust fan (e.g. Antec 900), so you'd want the CPU heatsink/fan blowing up in those cases - because heat rises, so it's a more efficient heat exhaust direction.
Cheers, all good fun.
Troy
Oh, so your solution mentioned in post #2 didn't already work?
I just noticed it was backwards, although that shouldn't have changed any error messages as there are no sensors that detect if the CPU heatsink/fan is placed blowing a particular way or other… And seeing as I can't think of any off the top of my head (doesn't mean there aren't any) that suck instead of blow… (I could have even researched it with the make/model you put in post #1).
The reason is as there are some cases which have a top exhaust fan (e.g. Antec 900), so you'd want the CPU heatsink/fan blowing up in those cases - because heat rises, so it's a more efficient heat exhaust direction.
Cheers, all good fun.
Troy
I changed the heatsink around but i still got the error message a bit later on. 'CPU Fan Error'. So i went into the BIOS and chose to Ignore (forgot exactly what the option is called now) and it works fine.
My fan is a strange design, as you say, most fans seem to blow up because heat rises, this one pushes hot air forwards, but my machine is relatively cool (no pun intended) so it seems to be ok so far.
Actually it looks like a pretty standard "performance" design to me. The only reason fans blow up is if there is an exhaust vent above it. In my case, the PSU is mounted on top and I don't want the hot air venting through the PSU at all. Same with your case, the PSU is at the top so you want it venting horizontally out the back. This picture looks correct:
[external image: Posted Image]
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI