My computer worked fine yesterday. My nephew who was visiting was on it last night doing who knows what all night. We went to bed and told him to turn it off when he was done, thinking we could trust him. Well I went to start my computer this morning after he had left and it doesn't work now.
The thing that happens is, it'll load all the way to the blue welcome screen where we put in our password. You type in the password and hit enter. It'll act like it is going to load, but 2 seconds later it'll boot ya out and say logging off…..and then go back to the password screen. We keep typing in the password, and it'll do the same thing each time. The password hasn't been changed, so I know that isn't the problem. I called his mother and told her to ask him what happened…..All he says is that he must have turned it off wrong. That….I do not believe!!! His mother said that this was the exact reason she doesn't let him on the computer, becuase he's crashed there computer before. She said he likes to downnload games without even thinking whether the sites are safe or not. I wish she would have told me this earlier!!!!
Anyways……my computer is a Windows XP.
I can not even get in to run any scanners, or programs. I don't know what to do. I tried to run it in safe mode, but it can't even do that because it can't get passed the password screen. Why does it keep logging me out 2 seconds after I try to log in!!!
I have so many pictures on that conputer that I woud hate to lose. What can I do??
Please help!!
Start the computer by using the last known good configuration. To do this, follow these steps:
Note: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
Press F8 at the indicated time:
For an x86-based computer: When a screen of text appears and then disappears , press F8. (The screen of text may include a memory test, lines about the BIOS, and other lines.) There may also be a prompt that tells you when to press F8.
For an Itanium architecture-based computer: After you make your selection from the boot menu, press F8. There may be a prompt that tells you when to press F8.
Use the arrow keys to select Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER. NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.
Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.
Notes:
Choosing the Last Known Good Configuration startup option provides a way to recover from problems such as a newly added driver that may be incorrect for your hardware. However, it does not solve problems that are caused by corrupted or missing drivers or files.
When you choose the Last Known Good Configuration option, only the information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet is restored. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.
Doing that will take me back to the last save point right?? My husband and I were talking about that and have had to do that before that long time ago and it took us way back to when we first got the computer and we lost everything on it…..pics and what not. We are trying to avoid losing pictures and files and what not if you know what I mean. We have not created a new save point in a very long time…………..
Is there any other way?? Anyway to not lose pictures?? Do you know what could be causeing it to log off all the time? Virus probably??
No, Last known good configuration does only what I said it does in the last bullet I posted:
When you choose the Last Known Good Configuration option, only the information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet is restored. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.
It doesn't touch any files, just puts that one registry key hive back to what it was the last time your computer booted successfully.
What you describe is a System Recovery using the OEM manufactures process to restore your computer to the state it was in when you first got it.
Since you've been down this road before, why haven't you implemented some kind of backup strategy so you won't be in danger of losing any of your important data? If you've thought about it, I can help with suggestions on how to do it and what hardware/software you would need to get it setup, once the current problem is resolved.
Okay, if it's possible he turned it off without doing a normal shutdown, then there may be some file system corruption. Please try the following:
Boot to Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key when the computer first starts booting, as soon as you see the manufacturers logo. Continue to press it every second or so until you get the Windows Advanced Options menu.
Select Safe Mode using the arrow key on your keyboard and press Enter.
Login as Administrator (no password unless you added one. If so, enter that password).
Open My Computer.
Right click on drive: and select Properties (drive: is your boot drive, usually C:)
Click on the Tools tab then the Check now button.
Check the Automatically fix File System errors box.
Alternatively, you can click on Start then Run, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter.
For your boot drive (usually C:), you will get a window that says the check could not be performed ….
Do you want to schedule this disk check to run the next time you restart the computer?
Click on Yes.
Shutdown and reboot. Chkdsk will start. It can take an hour or more to run depending on the size of your hard drive.
I'm sure I mentioned it before, but I can't even start the PC in safe mode. It'll do the same exact thing when i click on the 'administer' button. It'll act like its going to load, but 2 seconds later it'll say 'logging off' and take you right back to the welome log in screen.
So now what?? I'm sure its a virus thats causing this……but how do you get rid of it without being able to even get into the pc???? Or is the PC a lost cause……….??
Do you have a XP Installation CD? If yes, skip to Step 2, otherwise read on.
Step 1
Since you don't have an XP CD, download and create a bootable CD from the .iso file: XP Recovery Console
You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurnerwhich will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.
Step 2:
Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).
From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r (note the space between chkdsk and c: and between c: and /r)
No, normally you will not lose anything. The only time this will happen is if chkdsk finds something wrong and corrects it. If this is the case, then the corrected file or folder may or may not be usable, though most of the time it's fine. Also, if there is a problem, then the file/folder is already defective so you are really not losing anything.
If you have important data on that drive, I would strongly urge you to back it up now, before proceeding with any repair activity.
There are a few ways to do this.
Buy an external USB 2.0 drive enclosure (with fan if possible).
Remove the drive from your computer and put it in the enclosure.
Attach the enclosure to another computer (friend/family member) and copy your data to CD/DVD.
Remove the drive from your computer and put it in another computer as a slave drive and copy your data to CD/DVD.
Create a Linux Live (bootable) CD like Puppy Linux. Boot it and use it to copy your data to CD/DVD. See this post by Happyrck on GeeksToGo for Puppy Linux:
http://www.geekstogo.com/…..=findpost&am…21#entry1197721
Get the latest version available as the one he recommends is no longer easy to find.
Okay when you say an "XP installation CD"….what is that?? All I could find was console recovery discs that I had made when the PC was newer. It said that it could only be done the one time……is that what I need, or do I need something else??