This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I have some questions.

18 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Kathy,

Very clear.

So I am thinking that the Symantec really is on. Do you think so, too?

Sure, I recommend that you disable the AV alerts by Security Center.

Regards,
John.
Hi,

It can be difficult to know in which forum to post.

Well this one is quite easy as it is problem with your browser so it must go to the browsers forum. I will watch what the other staff members tell so I can learn ;)

Any other regular problems that we could discuss now apart from the pages being displayed wrong?

Regards,
John.
Hello, John! :P
I'm exhausted! [external image: Posted Image] I saw that you had replied, but was too tired to think last night. I still need more sleep!
I installed avast! Home Edition on my friend, Lisa's pc and also Comodo for a firewall but found that this interfered with Java. I uninstalled Comodo and then noticed that I wasn't getting a warning from her Windows Security Center. So, I checked out the avast! site and found this:

Network Shield
A new resident protection module was added to avast! 4.5: the Network Shield. This module provides protection against known Internet worms/attacks. It analyses all network traffic and scans it for malicious contents. It can be viewed as a lightweight firewall (or more precisely, an IDS (Intrusion Detection System)).

The Network Shield is only available on NT-based systems (Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista).

Hers is an XP. Do you think it is okay to leave it as is?
In post #8 here, tallin posted:

Firstly you need one Firewall - Zone Alarm Free or Comodo Free Firewall

Since avast! now has this Network Shield, would it then count as the one firewall?
I think I should tell tallin what was happening, too. I'll send him a copy.
:wavey: Kathy
Hi Kathy :wavey:

Just jumping in shortly ;)

No, you can't use it as a Firewall per se. You still need a real Firewall.
Reason being many, but port control the most important one among
those. Leaving only the Network shield as Firewall you could compare
to having a house with a unlocked door, but still having burglar alarm
inside it. Many malicious programs can bypass this "burglar alarm"
if they get inside, hence the need for a locked door.

I have used Comodo Pro. Firewall for a long time, and never had it intefere
with Java. Could you provide or remember the exact error message?


Cheers
Hello, Abydos! :)
When I had the Comodo on with the Java, I received errors saying that I needed the Java some version or higher, so I checked the Java on the Java test site. It indicated that Java was installed correctly but there was no "Dancing Duke". I kept going back and forth reinstalling Java and Comodo. (I thought I had perhaps disallowed some apps through the Comodo. 19 apps kept being moved into a safe area to be dealt with manually.) Finally I uninstalled Comodo and Java worked again, but Windows Security indicated that a firewall was on. That's why I looked on the avast! site to see if a firewall was integrated into the Home Edition.
………………………………………..
Okay, I just walked down to Lisa's house to look again. Comodo is not found in Add or Remove Programs. In the tray, however, I saw an icon for Comodo Safe Surf v.1.0.0.7. It is set to " Enable protection on all applications except those added below". There are none added below. The other Comodo icon is gone.
…………………………………………
I communicated with tallin and I will go install ZoneAlarm.
:wavey: Kathy
Hi again Kathy No problem. Zone-Alarm should do fine. And it is less noisy compared to Comodo. About the Java, I suspect a wrong or several wrong allowances, just FYI if you decide to try it again at a later date. Sidequestion: Was Java up to date? Version 13 is out right now. Despite how good Comodo is as a Firewall, the uninstaller lacks some behind that reputation. It can leave several registry keys behind. It would be important to hunt those down, before you install ZA. Regards
Hello, Abydos! [external image: Posted Image]

No problem. Zone-Alarm should do fine. And it is less noisy compared to
Comodo.

What do you mean by less noisy, less prompts?

About the Java, I suspect a wrong or several wrong allowances, just FYI if you
decide to try it again at a later date. Sidequestion: Was Java up to date? Version
13 is out right now.

What are allowances?
Yes, it was version 13.
:wavey: Kathy
Hi again Kathy :wavey:

By allowances, I mean those popups one gets from Comodo when "unknown" programs (unknown to Comodo)
try to run.

If it was during the install, it might point to the fact that something went wrong during it. Maybe a corrupt installer,
happens from time to time. That said, I have never experienced that sort of problems with Comodo.

What do you mean by less noisy, less prompts?


Yes.


If you need a hand, at a future date, with regards to installing Comodo, just say so ;)


Regards

Ps: Cute bunny smiley ^_^
No problem Kathy ;) If you got any other questions, you welcome to ask away, and we'll try to answer to the best of our knowledge. And you know where to find us :)
Thank you, John B and Abydos! [external image: Posted Image]
I started a new thread, Pages aren't loading correctly, in the Browsers, Internet and email forum as you suggested, John. If I have more questions later on, may I post here on this thread or do I have to start a new one?
:wavey: Kathy

If I have more questions later on, may I post here on this thread or do I have to start a new one?


It would be best to start a new topic if very different from the topic discussed here. Reason
being it is easier for us, you and others who use this site to search for answers. Also to
ensure one get the best help available. Like if you begin to ask about security programs
in a hardware thread, those having the best knowledge about security software, doesn't
look in the hardware thread (unless it is me, I look everywhere :P )


Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI