This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Need Windows XP

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My last computer crashed, so I bought a new one. Problem is, the companies I work for don't support Vista and I have to use XP. I can't find XP sold anywhere. I have the Recovery disc for XP that came with the Dell, but when I try to install and put in the product key that came with it, it says it's not the correct key, although I know it is. So, I said I'd just buy a NEW Windows XP and install it, but I can't find it anywhere. HELP!!!!!
Hello,
The disc that has XP did not come with the new computer, it came with the old computer, correct? It does not belong to the new computer and you can not use it on any other computer then the one it came with.
You can buy XP disc from web sites like tigerdirect.com and newegg.com but you may have trouble installing it on your new machine.
Please read;
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Downgrading…XP-t219764.html
It may be more cost effective to look in the news-paper for a used computer that has XP on it to use for work. Or ask your work to buy a business computer that has XP on it (Dell, HP sell new business computers with XP.)
Think about these options, talk it over with your boss, and make an informed decision before you do anything.
Putting XP on your new computer will void the warranty.
Sorry - I want to reinstall windows xp on the OLD computer. I'm going to leave the new one with Vista, but need the old one for work. It's the old one that had xp on it that the key won't work, even though that's the disc that came with it. I called Dell and they want me to pay them to answer my question.
Hi adasha,

The correct product key for re-installing from your Dell XP Restore CD may be in a couple of locations.
1. On the disc itself or the envelop the disc is stored in. <– might not be reliable, since the disc "could" be from another machine.
2. On a "sticker" pasted on your Dell machine (Certificate of Authenticity) - should state Windows XP (home or Pro) and a 25 character alpha-numeric sequence which is the correct Product Key for XP on that particular Dell machine.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI