This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

new to Firefox and site won't load

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just switched to Firefox from IE (much better imho). One problem I've run into is a site I frequent www.gametrailers.com won't load in Firefox. It starts to load the page and then in the bottom status msg says "transferring " and just says done with hardly any of the page loaded. Since i just started using Firefox, I'm wondering if there are plugins or downloads I need to get it going or maybe it is a security thing. I haven't been to too many sites with it and so far this is the only site that doesn't load (this is a video intensive site), but wasn't sure if this would become a trend. thanks
Hi, The gametrailers.com site does not load at all for you (so I mean the homepage)? Just tried it and here it works fine with Firefox. Have you changed any settings or just kept everything default? Regards, John.
It's all just default. I only installed it yesterday (v 3.0.7) and have only been to maybe a dozen sites. That was the only one that didn't load. Not sure if I need to install anything to make it work?
What actually happens? Does it give an error or does it stay loading forever? If it stays loading forever you can see where it is getting stuck by looking at the bottom of the screen at what is loading.
It loads a number of things and then says "done" at the bottom even though it is not done. I get the top menu and the left menu but no content in the middle. Even clicking on their links does the same thing.
Hi,

Maybe you need Adobe Flash Player. Please check if you already have it installed:
  • Click Start
  • Go to Control Panel
  • Go to Add/Remove Programs
  • See if Adobe Flash Player is present
  • If Version 10 is installed, let me know
  • If an earlier version is installed click Remove to uninstall it and then follow my instructions to download the latest
  • If it is not installed at all follow my instructions to download the latest
Now you can download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player here:
http://www.adobe.com/
On the right click on Get Adobe Flash Player and follow the instructions given.

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.
Have you tried viewing the site using IE?
Successful? Same Problem?

My first thought, was since this is an intensive download site, you ISP may be throttling the access.

If, however, you can view it without difficulty via IE on your machine, that would make it a FF specific problem.
__________________-

Consider reviewing which Add-ons may have been installed (whether or not you intentionally installed any)
Consider opening FF in FF Safe Mode (disables all addons). Any difference?

Consider adding DownloaderHelper 4.2 as a FF addon

Have a look in FF - Tools - Options - Content <–
Make sure "Block pop-up windows "is not" checkmarked/ticked
"load images automatically" <– should be checkmarked/ticked
"Enable JavaScript <– should be checkmarked/ticked
"Enable Java" <– should be checkmarked/ticked

Have a look in FF - Tools - Options - Applications
What video player is set to display for FireFox?

Here's what I have set for FF:
📎FF_Media_Player_options.jpg

Site works fine for me with the above settings and MS Media Player set to handle the several media file format extensions by default.
My virus scanner picked up a virus in a DLL that Firefox (and IE) must be using because now Firefox loads that site just fine. Also, IE was crashing when I started it up, but after cleaning up the virus, that too loads fine. Thanks all for the assistance.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI