Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

new to Firefox and site won't load

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kingme

kingme

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

I just switched to Firefox from IE (much better imho). One problem I've run into is a site I frequent www.gametrailers.com won't load in Firefox. It starts to load the page and then in the bottom status msg says "transferring <site name>" and just says done with hardly any of the page loaded. Since i just started using Firefox, I'm wondering if there are plugins or downloads I need to get it going or maybe it is a security thing. I haven't been to too many sites with it and so far this is the only site that doesn't load (this is a video intensive site), but wasn't sure if this would become a trend. thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 John B..

John B..

Honors Grad

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

Hi, The gametrailers.com site does not load at all for you (so I mean the homepage)? Just tried it and here it works fine with Firefox. Have you changed any settings or just kept everything default? Regards, John.

#3 kingme

kingme

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

It's all just default. I only installed it yesterday (v 3.0.7) and have only been to maybe a dozen sites. That was the only one that didn't load. Not sure if I need to install anything to make it work?

#4 John B..

John B..

Honors Grad

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:14 AM

What actually happens? Does it give an error or does it stay loading forever? If it stays loading forever you can see where it is getting stuck by looking at the bottom of the screen at what is loading.

#5 kingme

kingme

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

It loads a number of things and then says "done" at the bottom even though it is not done. I get the top menu and the left menu but no content in the middle. Even clicking on their links does the same thing.

#6 John B..

John B..

Honors Grad

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:16 AM

Hi,

Maybe you need Adobe Flash Player. Please check if you already have it installed:
  • Click Start
  • Go to Control Panel
  • Go to Add/Remove Programs
  • See if Adobe Flash Player is present
  • If Version 10 is installed, let me know
  • If an earlier version is installed click Remove to uninstall it and then follow my instructions to download the latest
  • If it is not installed at all follow my instructions to download the latest
Now you can download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player here:
http://www.adobe.com/
On the right click on Get Adobe Flash Player and follow the instructions given.

Please let us know.

Regards,
John.

#7 kingme

kingme

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

Yes, I do have Adobe Flash player 10 installed both as a plugin and as an ActiveX.

#8 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

Have you tried viewing the site using IE?
Successful? Same Problem?

My first thought, was since this is an intensive download site, you ISP may be throttling the access.

If, however, you can view it without difficulty via IE on your machine, that would make it a FF specific problem.
__________________-

Consider reviewing which Add-ons may have been installed (whether or not you intentionally installed any)
Consider opening FF in FF Safe Mode (disables all addons). Any difference?

Consider adding DownloaderHelper 4.2 as a FF addon

Have a look in FF - Tools - Options - Content <--
Make sure "Block pop-up windows "is not" checkmarked/ticked
"load images automatically" <-- should be checkmarked/ticked
"Enable JavaScript <-- should be checkmarked/ticked
"Enable Java" <-- should be checkmarked/ticked

Have a look in FF - Tools - Options - Applications
What video player is set to display for FireFox?

Here's what I have set for FF:
FF_Media_Player_options.jpg

Site works fine for me with the above settings and MS Media Player set to handle the several media file format extensions by default.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#9 kingme

kingme

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 06:44 AM

My virus scanner picked up a virus in a DLL that Firefox (and IE) must be using because now Firefox loads that site just fine. Also, IE was crashing when I started it up, but after cleaning up the virus, that too loads fine. Thanks all for the assistance.

#10 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:53 AM

My virus scanner picked up a virus in a DLL

You have recently complete some work in Malware Removal with Rorschach112, here:
http://forums.whatth...a....html&st=15

Is this the same machine?

You may benefit from revisiting Malware Removal Forum.

Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.