This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Outlook Explorer keeps shutting down

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am running Outlook 2002 and Xp. I use it with my yahoo account. A couple days ago I discovered that it would no longer work. When I click on the icon it starts but as soon as it actually opens up (to the window\task bar???) it shuts down. The same thing happens when I try to start it in safe mode. There are no errors. I did not install anything or uninstall anything. I also ran a virus check and a2squared. Please tell me how I can fix this and, if necessary, how to back up everything.
Hi,
Have you tried using a System Restore Point created before the problem started?
More information and detailed instructions available from here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084.
Let us know how you go.

For backing up, just use your regular back up procedure and copy across to removable media all your important data and files.
Once your machine is running fast and sweet, all junk files removed , unwanted applications uninstalled and the hard drive defragged, consider taking a disc image using software like Drive Image, Ghost, Paragon, Acronis etc
Regards
paws
System restore failed - I got a message saying it was incomplete. My system restore hasn't worked in years and I never bothered figuring out how to fix it.
Hi UrbanSpice,

Consider backing up your Outlook 2002 personal files using the MS Tool linked here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en

You "might" benefit from running the Outlook Inbox Repair tool, here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287497

But your problem sound more like a corruption of the Outlook program itself.

After you have used the MS Tool to back up your Outlook files, consider
Uninstall and re-install Outlook
then "import" your saved .pst files to restore your folders and messages.

Best Regards
I tried to do the back up of my outlook using the first link Doug sent only - you have to actually have Outlook open and stay open in order to use the program. Then, I thought why don't I just copy the important files to another folder and that's when I saw that I seemed to be missing a pst file. All of my email accounts have a log and a pst file, except my yahoo account. Could this be the reason for my problems?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI