This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Resolved] Malware/Trojans crippling PC

54 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Problem… Here's what I did and how I believe I have screwed up. I used MY copy of windows XP to run the repair on my parent’s computer. I didn’t think to make sure I had their cd-key before running repair. When I got to the Product ID key page, MY key would not work. I take it I need THEIR Product ID to continue, which I don't have. Their copy of Windows XP was installed on the machine when they bought it 4 years ago (at Best Buy) and were never given any Windows discs. I have searched their paperwork with no luck and there is no sticker on the tower itself. Now, have I gone past the point of no return? Can I revert to a previous configuration or no? I can not get back to windows to run "Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder"…Is there any way to retrieve the Product Key? They have 2 dvd-r recovery discs, but I assume they are useless without the Product Key. Do I have any options short of wiping the partition and reinstalling Windows from scratch? I appreciate all the help and any ideas. Thanks again.
Wanna add that my objective at this point is just to get back to Windows if at all possible. I wanna copy all their files onto discs (like I should've done when I had the chance) and just do a complete reinstall. Probably my best bet.
In that case go for a parallel install

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options…choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name…so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.
So sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I was able to install another windows xp and grab what files were important. Then reinstalled a fresh copy onto their system with their Recovery Disc. I can't thank you enough for your patience with this issue and all your help.
Since this issue appears to be resolved … this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance. If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI