Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Programmer's Advice Needed!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ARod

ARod

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

I'll try to keep this as concise as possible but give enough information to get the answers I'm looking for. I'm looking to start an Internet start-up and have questions about the front-end issues/costs, or basically how large of a job it would be from a programmers standpoint and capital needed to get the job done right. The business will consist of a main real-time database that feeds off of multiple merchants databases (similar to something like orbitz or pricegrabber). Now the question there is, would each merchant need a specific piece of software that could constantly communicate with the main database and how expensive is that to have built and implemented? Next, what is the complexity involved in building a Web site that can handle this real-time information and how much would it cost to have it built? Obviously there is a need for sufficient server space, so if you have a general idea of what that would run I would appreciate it also. I build small generic Web sites in my spare time but have nowhere near the knowledge to take on such a task by myself so I'm looking to find someone who has the answers. I need a general idea of the cost I'm looking at to take on such an endeavor and the time frame it would take to have it all built, tailored, and implemented.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

I don't do this type of programming, but, unless you could setup specific agreements with these other merchants to integrate into their website/database, you will probably have to program everything in order to make it connect to the merchant's website and pull the information you are looking for. There could be legal issues involved in doing this. Your best bet is to see what possibility you have of actually communicating with these other merchants and setting up a way to share information as you are suggesting. However, if you are talking about very large companies, it would probably be very hard to get a hold of anyone who could offer you any assistance or help. Designing the website, implementing a database backend, and programming the code is probably going to cost you several thousand dollars to have a professional (or professionals) do it. It will probably have to be the collaboration of a few different people because most people who program, do not design, etc.. Writing customized code to connect to every merchant you want to connect to is going to have a pretty steep cost too. Probably several hundred dollars per merchant. Hosting the site can be done fairly cheap. Depending on how much traffic you expect, you can probably build a server and stick it in a hosting facility, or use a shared server at a hosting facility for probably $500-$1000 per year. The server could range from $800-$2000 depending on what you put in it. There are just way too many variables to get an exact figure. You need to consult with individual professionals in each of these fields to bring the project together. Good luck though. Sounds like fun if you have the funds.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.