This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Video & Graphics Drivers

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Dell Dimension 3100 System, BIOS A04 Revised 04/04/06, I am currently running XP Service Pack 3 and I'm currently looking for a driver, below is a link to the Dell site and what they recommend.
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&a;…se&~ck=anav

My question is about the A08 on the end of the Driver description (Drivers Intel Intel Grantsdale G Integrated Video, v.6.14.10.4299, A08) <— Does this need to be the same as my BIOS (A04) or is this just specific with the version of this part/driver, as I have noticed that my mother board has A03 on it, can someone please explain what this all is?. :scratch:
Why would Dell recommend this for my machine if it is not suited? ( I typed in my Service Tag to receive this advice from Dell.)

I have another open thread (B.S.O.D.)which I believe relates to devices and their drivers.

Any advice on this question will be appreciated, :thumbup:

Thanks in advance, :)
Jkc73
Thanks for the quick reply Abydos

I am still intrigued by this:-
Video & Graphics Drivers	
Intel Intel Grantsdale G Integrated Video, v.6.14.10.4299, A08 <—- 2008
Intel Graphics Driver
R105167.EXE	Hard-Drive	3 MB
Verify Operating System and Product Compatibility
	11/21/2005 <—–Taken from the Dell site
This would mean they held this for 2-3 years before release.
Am I correct to assume that this is the normal thing.

Thanks again
Jkc73

Thanks for the quick reply Abydos

I am still intrigued by this:-

Video & Graphics Drivers	
Intel Intel Grantsdale G Integrated Video, v.6.14.10.4299, A08 <—- 2008
Intel Graphics Driver
R105167.EXE	Hard-Drive	3 MB
Verify Operating System and Product Compatibility
	11/21/2005 <—–Taken from the Dell site
This would mean they held this for 2-3 years before release.
Am I correct to assume that this is the normal thing.

Thanks again
Jkc73


Hmmm, I couldn't say. I don't know the way DELL operate. But if I should make a guess, it would be that the first driver was released in 2005, this version released 2008. Otherwise there is no point in making a version number (v.6.14.10.4299) Then one could just name them "driver 2008", which of course would limit it to one driver update per year, but you get the point I am sure ;)

Regards

Found below is one that doesn't fit.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/…p;fileid=150654

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility

Release Date: 4/14/2006 Version: 7.2.2.1006, A13 <—-2013 :pullhair: where have I been? how long have I been asleep? :lol:
Download Type: Driver
File Format: Hard-Drive
File Size: 1 MB


Thanks for your time,
Jkc73


Aye, that one doesn't fit. Well, guess I am not good at guessing :blush:
I'll try and see if I can fish the info somewhere, might get lucky B)

Regards
Ok, found something that would describe some of the numbers.

The A08 is the core driver version. So v.6.14.10.4299 is a version of A08. Like Automobiles for examples, where you could have various Ford Mustangs, depending of the year it was build, but any one build in a particular year, could have its customized versions, or ones with added features. Like GL, GLX and GX models.

The date (11/21/2005) is build date of the driver.

So I would mean that any particular MB uses each own driver. As you stated, that you have A04 driver for MB, I think
you should try find a updated A04 driver. Its possible that DELL have included A04 in the A08 version, I couldn't say.
Best way to make sure, might be phoning DELL and hear if this would be a correct assumption, since that is the one
they recommend on their homepage for your system. Do be specific and do require specific info, as a wrong MB driver
is not something easily undone, and may render the system unbootable!

Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI