This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Recovery software

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a 500 GB hard disk which is in a case. I connect it with usb2 with my pc. The disk was working normally. Suddenly I cannot copy the files that I have in the (500 GB) disk to other disks (internal). Also the videos that I have in the disk cannot play. I have to mention that I can see my files but I can’t open them. Can you propose me any software that will help me to recover them?
Ouch!
That can be a headache.

You are probably running with either XP or Vista?
Both systems install appropriate USB Device Drivers for most External USB enclosures.
But USB Device Drivers can become corrupted or go missing.
Please check in your Device Manager for any yellow or red warnings, particularly associated with USB
Report back any warnings found (most particularly USB related, but please report any/all)
______________________-

There are sometimes "simple" procedures to consider.
The external is no doubt connected via USB.
Consider unplugging it (using the "safely remove hardware" icon in your notification area) [external image: Posted Image]

Reboot your computer after disconnecting the External HD USB and leaving the External HD USB unconnected.
Then Shut down your machine again.
Connect the External HD USB again, and boot your machine.

If you still do not get the functionality that you need, repeat the above, but select to plug into a different USB slot socket.
Repeat as necessary, until you have tried all of your USB connection options.
Not all USB connectors are created equal.
Often, the USB connectors at the Front Panel of your machine are less well powered than those at the back.

Let us know how you progress with the above.

More extreme measure would be to remove the HD from the enclosure and connect it directly to either ATA/IDE or SATA connection internally in your machine as Slave or Cable Select.

Note: if you do connect it internally, put it on a channel and cable that :
1. best – has no other devices attached
2. OK – has only other HD devices attached
3. not recommended - has Optical Devices attached.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI