This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Optical out, convert to analog, RCA in.

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Okay here's my deal and why I'm doing this… My 27 inch in my room recently broke and I now want to play my PS3 on this monitor ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16824236053 ). Unfortunately, the only way to connect my PlayStation to this monitor with its built in speakers is via HDMI. Normally I wouldn't be complaining, but this monitor has no audio output. Being a semi-audiophile, I would like to run my audio through my 5.1 Surround system, but my receiver doesn't have an Optical Input.

So my main issue is…

Can I cheaply convert an Optical (Digital) signal to an RCA (Analog) signal?

Okay here's my deal and why I'm doing this… My 27 inch in my room recently broke and I now want to play my PS3 on this monitor ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16824236053 ). Unfortunately, the only way to connect my PlayStation to this monitor with its built in speakers is via HDMI. Normally I wouldn't be complaining, but this monitor has no audio output. Being a semi-audiophile, I would like to run my audio through my 5.1 Surround system, but my receiver doesn't have an Optical Input.

So my main issue is…

Can I cheaply convert an Optical (Digital) signal to an RCA (Analog) signal?


Hi… You are asking to convert a dolby digital 5.1 channel output to a standard 2ch stereo connection. You will not get any surround sound doing this. In order to maintain the surround sound capability you will have to stay digital. You did not post the make and model of your receiver so I don't know what inputs it has. If it doesn't have a digital input you are not going to get surround sound out of it no matter what you do.

The playstation 3 has an "AV Multi Out" jack and your best bet is to get a cable (or if you already have one) that plugs into there and converts it to RCA outputs. You can then plug the R and L RCA jacks into your receiver.

Here's a picture of that cable:
📎84708_4.jpg

Converters for the digital (optical) out to RCA are very expensive, and you still will only get 2 channel stereo, because analog RCA jacks are not capable of 5.1 channel surround.

If you post the make and model of your receiver I can better tell you how to get from point A to point B. But, I can assure you that you will need some type of digital input on the receiver in order to get any surround sound.

I don't own, nor do I know anything about PS3. But I did research what kind of outputs it has.

Okay here's my deal and why I'm doing this… My 27 inch in my room recently broke and I now want to play my PS3 on this monitor ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx…N82E16824236053 ). Unfortunately, the only way to connect my PlayStation to this monitor with its built in speakers is via HDMI. Normally I wouldn't be complaining, but this monitor has no audio output. Being a semi-audiophile, I would like to run my audio through my 5.1 Surround system, but my receiver doesn't have an Optical Input.

So my main issue is…

Can I cheaply convert an Optical (Digital) signal to an RCA (Analog) signal?


Hi… You are asking to convert a dolby digital 5.1 channel output to a standard 2ch stereo connection. You will not get any surround sound doing this. In order to maintain the surround sound capability you will have to stay digital. You did not post the make and model of your receiver so I don't know what inputs it has. If it doesn't have a digital input you are not going to get surround sound out of it no matter what you do.

The playstation 3 has an "AV Multi Out" jack and your best bet is to get a cable (or if you already have one) that plugs into there and converts it to RCA outputs. You can then plug the R and L RCA jacks into your receiver.

Here's a picture of that cable:
[attachment removed]

Converters for the digital (optical) out to RCA are very expensive, and you still will only get 2 channel stereo, because analog RCA jacks are not capable of 5.1 channel surround.

If you post the make and model of your receiver I can better tell you how to get from point A to point B. But, I can assure you that you will need some type of digital input on the receiver in order to get any surround sound.

I don't own, nor do I know anything about PS3. But I did research what kind of outputs it has.


I appreciate your help.

My reveiver will simulate 5.1 surround sound. It was built in the early 90's by Sony before digital technology became popular. It uses Dolby Digital technology and has no actual digital inputs, only RCA. I guess I'm going to have to play on crappy computer monitor spearkers seeing as how I'm a bit short on cash… :unsure:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI