I just built a new system and installed Win XP and everything was working well until I decided to take a shortcut installing the fonts from my old system to my new system. I deleted everything in the /fonts folder on the new system and then copied all of the fonts from my Win Home Server backup to my new system. Of course this caused me some big problems because the words on my desktop and everywhere else showed up as garbage. I thought I could fix the font problem by running the font folder fix program from TweakUI and so I ran it I thought I had everything fixed.
But then I started to install a couple of new programs and that's where my new "posible Dr Watson trojan" problems started. When the install program would start the font on the install screens was so small it could not be read, even using a magnifier program. After the install was complete I got an error saying Win Explorer need to be closed because an error had occurred. When Win Exp would close then I would get the Dr Watson debugger screens but the fonts on the screen were so huge I could not read all of the screen.
I finally rebooted and after using Win Explorer for a few minutes I would get the error message saying Win Explorer needed to close (this message also used the same huge fonts), it would close and I would get the Dr Watson screens again and again the font was so huge I couldn't read it all.
I've run Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D from the safe mode and also Spyware Terminator and Ad-Aware from my normal windows. Win Explorer has not thrown it's error yet and the Dr Watson screens haven't popped up yet but I still am having a problem with install programs having ultra small fonts and then after they install some of the screens that come up to finish the install will have the huge fonts which makes it impossible to see everything on the screen.
I've done the HiJack This scan and I have a log file to display if I need to do so.
Does anyone have any idea as to what this problem might be, BTW, I've checked the font sizes being used in my Win XP screen setups and they all seem OK.
My name is Extremeboy (or EB for short), and I will be helping you with your log.
If you do not make a reply in 5 days, we will need to close your topic.
Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:
Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools.
If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean". We do not want to clean you part-way, only to have the system re-infect itself.
Please reply using the [external image: Posted Image] button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply.
Old topics are closed after 3 days with no reply, and working topics are closed after 5 days. If for any reason you cannot complete instructions within that time, that's fine, just post back here so that we know you're still here.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
Notepad will open with the results, click no to the Optional_Scan
Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE
**NOTE:– Note: The screen instructions indicate the attach.txt must be zipped before attaching (not posted) to your forum post. Instead, we want you to include attach.txt as an attachment to upload using the "Browse" button in the text editor when making your reply.
Run Kaspersky Online Scanner
Please do a scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner.
This scan is for Internet Explorer only.
If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select Run as administrator to perform this scan.
Open the Kaspersky Scanner page.
Click on Accept and install any components it needs.
The program will install and then begin downloading the latest definition files.
After the files have been downloaded on the left side of the page in the Scan section select My Computer
This will start the program and scan your system.
The scan will take a while, so be patient and let it run.
Once the scan is complete, click on View scan report
Now, click on the Save Report as button.
Save the file to your desktop.
Copy and paste that information in your next post.
You can refer to this animation by sundavis.
In your next reply please include the following:
DSS.txt
Attach.txt
Kaspersky's Log
What Problems do you still have?
Important Note: For other users who are reading this topic,the instructions provided in this topic are for the original topic starter ONLY. Even if you have similar problems or even log entries to those given here, please do not follow the directions, especially those involving specific tools and scripts. Doing so can result in serious damage to your computer. Instead, please start your own topic and feel free to link to any relevant topics as needed.Please Do NOT follow the instructions provided for this topic.
If you are please follow the instructions in my previous post.
If you still need help, follow the instructions I have given in my response. If you have since had your problem solved, we would appreciate you letting us know so we can close the topic.
Please reply back telling us so. If you don't reply within 5-7 days the topic will need to be closed.