This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Discussion

Toolbars and the like...

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

FYI…

- http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Enough-W…olbars-Already/
2009-02-10 - "… Whenever I go to clean up a friend/relative's computer that they complain is too slow there's one thing I almost always find: Numerous browser toolbars, particularly in Internet Explorer. Not all browser toolbars are bad, but the bad ones do seem to get around. There is a long and disturbing history of malicious toolbars for browsers, especially Internet Explorer, in which toolbars are implemented as a BHO or Browser Helper Object, although not all BHOs are toolbars… Why is there so much pressure for you to install toolbars? Because there's money to be made if you can get people to use your toolbar and therefore your search results. The browser is where so many people spend their time these days. I've come to distrust all of them and keep my browsers free of them. Do the same and I bet you'll have a more stable computing experience."

("… Larry Seltzer has worked in and written about the computer industry since 1983…")

:ph34r:
Thanks for the tip, but I will stick with my Google Toolbar ver:4.0 I could not do without it, but ver:5.0 is a disaster in my opinion.

Cheers,
I use none, have none and remove all of them from every system I work on. What really bugs me is how many programs bundle Yahoo Toolbar or Google Toolbar with their app. Even a good program like IrfanView tries to foist Yahoo Toolbar on you unless you remember to uncheck it. Worse, Jave JRE install were pushing Google Toolbar and Desktop for awhile. Their latest, JRE 6U11 seems to be free of it.
Hi Rich,

Their latest, JRE 6U11 seems to be free of it.

I know you meant JRE 6 update 12.

Talking of updates, did you have any problem with Windows Update KB951847 ….. released on Tuesday. On this PC I did not, but on my Laptop I did, but got around the glitch.

Cheers,
I find this ironic because I was just at a lady's house for a complaint that her Internet has slowed down a lot. She had ask, Google, yahoo, net zero toolbars installed and would not let me uninstall any thing! I did not charge her for the service call.
:thumbup: Ztruker, That's OK, don't you have JavaRa.exe installed? I get notification and also watch the notifications here online from AplusWebMaster……very helpful. Could you spare the time and expertise to have a peep at Tech Helper's last thread please? kind regards,

I use none, have none and remove all of them from every system I work on.

What really bugs me is how many programs bundle Yahoo Toolbar or Google Toolbar with their app. Even a good program like IrfanView tries to foist Yahoo Toolbar on you unless you remember to uncheck it. Worse, Jave JRE install were pushing Google Toolbar and Desktop for awhile. Their latest, JRE 6U11 seems to be free of it.


I concur :thumbup:

Never used them nor had any need for them.

Abydos
Tallin, just tried the 1.13 (latest) version and I still don't see the point. I already have links to the Java download site. The remove older versions button is no longer needed as of JRE 6U11 and the Additional trasks button didn't do anything for me. :( I'll give it a try again the next time I need to update since I don't leave jusched.exe running.