Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ForrestM

ForrestM

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

I've been handed off from the HijackThis forum where we went through the following to try for a solution to no avail.

http://forums.whatth...=15#entry526251

Appreciate any help you can lend to this exasperating inability to connect to www.washingtonflyfishing.com
Thanks,
ForrestM

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hi ForrestM :)

I understand, that it is only that particular website you can't enter.

Heres the Microsoft troubleshooting guide for the error you have.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431
Instead of going through it all, I suggest you start with;

method 4 and 5 in the General troubleshooting.

as the error only occurs on a single website.
See how it goes after doing those two steps.

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#3 ForrestM

ForrestM

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

Thank you, Abydos. I went through method 4 and 5, got carried away and did method 6 and 3. The Comcast tech rep and I have pushed the reset on the modem, but never actually did the Microsoft reset route. I went to Network Adaptors and updated NVIDIA network controller, but no update found for 1394 net adaptor. None of the methods resolved the "...cannot connect.. Regards ForrestM

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:33 PM

Hi ForrestM,

I have been watching this thread because recently I had the very same problem as you with this actual site WTT. As I am a helper here, that was most frustrating, and the answer in the end was:
  • Open IE (I am running IE 6.0)
  • Go to Tools
  • Internet Options
  • Connections
  • LAN settings
  • Untick Proxy settings (take the tick out)
  • OK
Close IE and open it again and my problem was solved.

Please understand I am in Australia and a completely different ISP to you, but the above worked for me.

Keep us posted,

kind regards,

#5 ForrestM

ForrestM

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

Tallin, thanks for the suggestion. I went in to Connections/LAN Settings, found proxy already unchecked so I checked it, closed IE and then tried WFF again. No Good, so I changed connections setting back. But you never know til you try, right! Regards ForrestM

#6 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

Hi ForrestM

It might be a matter of a DNS cache problem. So lets try this.

Go to Start, choose Run, then type: CMD

A black DOS-like screen will appear.

Type: IPconfig /FlushDns (Note the space between "g" and the slash / )
Hit Enter

Open IE and try access the webpage.

I won't be online for several hours. Its early morning here in Denmark, and my nightshift
is over. But other tech's or member's of WTT may have a solution if the above doesn't work.

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#7 ForrestM

ForrestM

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:37 AM

Thanks Abydos. When I ran "IPconfig /FlushDns" I got this: "Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution." Regards ForrestM

#8 ForrestM

ForrestM

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

UPDATE I was able to flush the DNS by starting DNS Client. It had been stopped and set on manual. It is now started and set on automatic. I immediately tried www.washingtonflyfishing.com, but got the ...cannot connect... Thanks ForrestM

#9 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:11 PM

Hi ForestM,

We have tried most all we know, why not Roll back to IE 6.0 and see how you go.

Do a System Restore point first if you are really set on having IE 7.0. Personally I am running IE 6.0 on my systems, and wouldn't update to IE 7.0 for all the tea in China.

Trying it will not harm your system, and if you can access your chosen website that is giving trouble, well your issue is solved for you.

kind regards,

#10 ForrestM

ForrestM

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

Fair enough. I will download IE6 and uninstall IE7. I recently uninstalled SP3 and IE8 after intalling hoping that would solve the cannot connect issue but no joy there. IE8 had some nifty features. Thanks for you time and effort guys. Regards, ForrestM

#11 ForrestM

ForrestM

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

Tallin, when I tried to download IE6 the download stopped, saying can't continue because a later version of IE is on the computer. So I looked at uninstalling IE7 which said it would automatically restore IE6 to the computer. I did a search and did not see any Internet Explorer 6 files on my computer. Am I safe to assume IE6 is there to be restored or should I download Fire Fox to access the internet after uninstalling IE7? I would then be able to install IE6. Regards ForrestM

#12 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

ForestM,

If you follow the link you only roll back. If uninstalling IE 7.0 then IE 6.0 will be your browser by default.

Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>select I.E. 7 for uninstall. After removing I.E. 7, you'll automatically revert back to I.E. 6, you don't need to reinstall it again.

kind regards,

#13 ForrestM

ForrestM

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

Good news! Finally, I can get on my favorite website. I did the uninstall of IE7 which made the IE6 the default and then did the updates. That did not solve my problem. So, liking the IE7 features I reinstalled 7 and all the updates, except SP3. Lo and behold, after the restart - BINGO. I really appreciate all the attention and help I got from What the Tech. Thanks guys. Regards, Forrest

#14 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:37 PM

ForestM, Good show, you got there in the end. Well done. regards,