This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Magic Jack questions

33 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi again Abydos…… well…… Tallin is on duty!!!! Hi Tallin… are you kidding me? I don't even know what formatting means!!!! LOL…. no, I stole it off of craigslist…sometimes people post silly stuff, and I click on it and save it to my pictures folder….. Yeah, I thought it was pretty appropriate for me huh?????? LOL….. I sort of thought it was cute. Ok…it said nine files were found when i went into Search…..I typed in ACronis in the search for files and folders …. 3 dated back to 2006 the other 6 were all updated on January 12 of 2008…. I just spent half an hour typing out exactly what it all said, as I can't copy and paste it….. and I just lost it….but I did click on ACRONIS WEB SITE…AND IT SAID Windows could not find it… When I click on ACronis True Image Home I get all kinds of options …Backup, REcovery, Manage Tasks or Pick a tool…..my lord, this looks very intimidating. Do I have to buy some blank CD's to do this? I also clicked on a Bootable Rescue Media Builder….. again….wowie… I still have the Erdnt set up on my desktop….. i installed it again and it said to restore the registry at a later point in time, run erdnt program from folder C:\Windows\Erdnt\2009-02-04 I guess I better not loose the piece of paper i wrote all that down on huh? Now what am I supposed to do with the readme. txt notepad log? Do I save these someplace? I don't get it…it says it will automatically store something in a folder for me…. do I have to save these notepad logs too??? ok, it says i have to close all applications to do this regcure thingy…this is for updating java? huh? oh, whatever…I will post back whatever the results of this are.
okay, it told me i had 1254 problems…and only cured 2 of them…. so it asked do you want to register for the full version of regcure…and i said yes…and I have tried three times, but it doesn't direct me to the page…it just goes to a blank windows explorer screen every time….. i assume I have to pay for this now….. is this absolutely necessary? How much will it cost, do you know? What did this have to do with my java settings? …well, whatever…I can't access it ok, i'm doing the computer maintenance stuff…i have to reboot. i'll be back
Candice, Please slow up here, I am reading your last posts, do not pay for anything as I think at this stage you have clicked on an advertisement. Do not run or buy or do anything with Regcure. I will get back as soon as I have gone through your posts. kind regards,
Hi Candice,

I did post clearly for you to follow in my first post to you today, if you follow it slowly all the information is there to assist you.

From your last post I see this

okay, it told me i had 1254 problems…and only cured 2 of them…. so it asked do you want to register for the full version of regcure…and i said yes…and I have tried three times, but it doesn't direct me to the page…it just goes to a blank windows explorer screen every time…..

What told you, you have 1254 errors? nothing I posted in my first post was a scan so I am confused what you mean. Where have you got Regcure from? I did not refer to it in my first post at all? As stated do not, and I repeat do not use it, or buy it, we here at WTT do not advise members to use any registry cleaning software programs.

Regarding Acronis and the details I gave you at the beginning of my first post, please answer the questions asked as you are confusing me with the answers you are giving.

I need to know the answers to my questions re Acronis. You say you clicked on Acronis, please right click on it and scroll to Properties then tell me what it says….thanks. Is it showng in your All Programs list, and in your Add and Remove utility?

Please go back to my first post, and follow it slowly from the beginning with the instructions given. The link for ERUNT installation is very clear, so if you execute it step by step you should have no problems at all.

kind regards,
Tallin, your directions say not to download more than…..oh cripe….. another TROJAN!!!!! ok…i hit remove threat as power user and heal…and i guess it went away. phew. honestly….. what is with this MSN site where I am accessing you guys??? Everytime I log onto MSN, I get a trojan!!!! anyway…. IS THE WINDOWS FIREWALL SUFFICIENT??? If this Windows Firewall is good, why do I still get Trojans every day???? I mean, it came with the machine, so do I download another firewall that might be better???? and uninstall this one? I already had Adaware, Spybot, Malwarebytes, the scotty dog program, spyblaster and AVG…. you don't have mentioned AVG as a good antivirus, do you recommend one of the others as better? I just downloaded Threat Fire too…do I have too many anti-spyware stuff ??? Oh, I see you answered my previous post….. I just clicked on "here" for the Java thingy…and it brought me to a page that said to download this registry cleaner thingy…so that is what I did….ok, i went in to add/remove programs and removed it… No….the acronis isn't showing in add/remove programs…it is only in a file on my C drive
Ok, I wrote down exactly what happened when I clicked on HERE under Keeping YOUR Java Updated…… I clicked on here…and I got to a page that said Raymond Computers…. it says " Cleaning up old Java Installation Files in Windows" …… and I have to click on Java Update Fix (free)…and then I got a page from errorfix that says JavaFix download, advanced registry repair. I didn't click on any ads or pop ups….. it was one seamless click from here to raymond computers to java update
Hi Candice,

Windows Firewall comes with your OS (operating system) I suggest you download ZoneAlarm as shown in my Maintenance link. When you install it, ZoneAlarm will automatically disable Windows Firewall. No, in my opinion Windows Firewall is not sufficient.

I have not mentioned AVG Anitvirus or Antispyware software as I do not recommend them. As simple as that, but it is only my opinion. I have all of them you mention except AVG, but not starting at boot or startup time when my computer starts up, they are run on manual when I want them to run. To check your Startup
  • Right click on your Scotty Dog near the clock in the lower right corner of your monitor
  • Scroll to 'Display Startup Info'
  • Anything in there you don't want starting at boot time
  • Right click on it and scroll down to 'Move to 'Delayed Start Program List'
This way you improve your boot time and take out or disable programs you do not want starting immediately.

I just clicked on "here" for the Java thingy…and it brought me to a page that said to download this registry cleaner thingy…so that is what I did….ok, i went in to add/remove programs and removed it…

I asked you to download JavaRa.exe which is on the link I gave you, nothing about registry cleaners at all. If you open the link, it is halfway down the page in blue called 'Download JavaRa'

Re Acronis, I think you only have a remnant of the installation left on your system as it is not showing in Add and Remove.

No….the acronis isn't showing in add/remove programs…it is only in a file on my C drive

What is in that Acronis Folder (I think you mean) in your C:\Drive? Is there an Application there?

Candice, my first post really is detailed, a lot of work, would take you days of work to go through, not to be hurried at all. Please take it from the beginning as mentioned in my first post, there is no hurry to do anything. Most of all the links are only a suggestion for you, not to BE done - the choice of what you install on your computer is yours to make.

kind regards, and keep me posted please.
you know, you are totally right…..i was running around like a kid in a candy shop, trying to get all the goodies LOL…. i'll go back, take it slower…. there were NINE files, 3 from back in 2006 I guess when the computer was made and 6 updated ones in January of 2008….. now they are updated to February 2009……… when you say is there an application in there, what do you mean by that? When you click on it it gives you specific tasks or functions you can perform? Because two of them had that…. but now that I go back and try to access them, they won't open now…. Before I could click on them and programs would open, that would walk you through doing something and that java ra won't open either, the same thing happens with the javara that happens with the acronis file…a windows explorer box opens, and it says connecting….but nothing happens…it won't work, won't open. I think tomorrow is another day…… plus I'm doing this after work, and I'm tired, and frazzled…maybe I should just wait until Saturday….
compulsive over achiever that I once was.. I went and downloaded the Zone Alarm, since you said it is better than windows firewall and it will override the windows….but in my control panel, it says the windows firewall is still operational… oh…and I see now….I used to have this…maybe a year ago or so? I remember the Zone Alarm security alerts drove me crazy and they already are doing that now. How the heck am I supposed to know what to allow? like right now…. New Program PREVALENCE REPORTER IS TRYING TO ACCESS THE TRUSTED ZONE…. it says the application is avgcmgr.exe….. so that is from avg? sometimes I can't tell where it is coming from. This drives me crazy….. couldn't something bad show up and ask to be let in???? ok…i'm tired. i did too much…. I will download a different virus protection program tomorrow since you don't like AVG….. and I hope the firewall now keeps those stupid Trojans out…..I was so upset to see another Trojan today. Ahhh. and that Scotty dog isn't any better….. right now the scotty dog box pops up…. TrueVector Internet Monitor and in the file information, C:\Windows\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe-service…….I guess this is ok because it is part of zone labs???? Is this how I tell if it is a good thing to allow??? if it is part of the security programs???
Hello Candice,

It is late here, I will not be available to morrow so I want to get this post off to you now.

you know, you are totally right…..i was running around like a kid in a candy shop, trying to get all the goodies LOL….

i'll go back, take it slower….

Good, it is best to read all the information before downloading and installing new software as you may not need it…..maybe you are already running a similar utility.

there were NINE files, 3 from back in 2006 I guess when the computer was made and 6 updated ones in January of 2008….. now they are updated to February 2009……… when you say is there an application in there, what do you mean by that? When you click on it it gives you specific tasks or functions you can perform? Because two of them had that…. but now that I go back and try to access them, they won't open now…. Before I could click on them and programs would open, that would walk you through doing something

Let us leave Acronis as is for the moment, there is another volunteer that knows much more than I do about image software and they may come by and take this post in hand re Acronis. It does seem you have it installed, but I cannot understand why it does not show in your Add and Remove utility. Please check again, it should be near the top, but could be under True Image Acronis software.

and that java ra won't open either, the same thing happens with the javara that happens with the acronis file…a windows explorer box opens, and it says connecting….but nothing happens…it won't work, won't open.

I am at a loss to understand why JavaRa.exe will not run for you, did you download it to your desktop? then double click on it. It will run from the Desktop for you.

As you now have ZoneAlarm installed, go into Windows Firewall and turn it off. That is unusual as in my experience ZoneAlarm automatically turns it off during installation.

You will need to be patient with the popups that ZoneAlarm offer, evenually the software will get to know your system and cease, but read them, and agree after you know what they are or deny as the case maybe Here is their forum where you can go in and read about others who have just installed the product.

How the heck am I supposed to know what to allow? like right now…. New Program PREVALENCE REPORTER IS TRYING TO ACCESS THE TRUSTED ZONE…. it says the application is avgcmgr.exe….. so that is from avg? sometimes I can't tell where it is coming from. This drives me crazy….. couldn't something bad show up and ask to be let in????

There you go, you answered your own question above in quotes, just be patient, read the text when the popup occurs, we all have to learn slowly. This is a case of being patient.

I will download a different virus protection program tomorrow since you don't like AVG….. and I hope the firewall now keeps those stupid Trojans out…..I was so upset to see another Trojan today.

If I may suggest, don't do the above, stay with AVG as it is installed, you know it, and there are more important items to attend to at this time.

Ahhh. and that Scotty dog isn't any better….. right now the scotty dog box pops up…. TrueVector Internet Monitor and in the file information, C:\Windows\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe-service…….I guess this is ok because it is part of zone labs???? Is this how I tell if it is a good thing to allow??? if it is part of the security programs???

Yes, you read all the information and as I said, your system will become familiar with your new Firewall in time.

Hasten slowly, there is no time span to do anything at all, just read everything you access before rushing in and installing.

Best regards,
I am about ready to lose my mind. I cannot live with this Zone Alarm…. or maybe there is some function on my computer that is making it cause a whole bunch of trouble, but my computer freezes constantly now. I can be writing an email, and backspace to correct an error, and it freezes. Any little thing will just make this computer freeze up now. I also can't close windows, I have to just hit the power button every time I want to shut down…. I get constant "the program is not responding" messages and even if i do click on "end now" or cancel nothing will happen. This has been three days of hell….I thought it would just a few days to settle down, but something about Zone Alarm is not compatible with my computer.
Ok….have been on the computer all night long…a good two hours….just got another Trojan…..so this is ridiculous….. got the trojan downloader…and I hit power user and heal…so it should be gone or quarantined…but Zone Alarm didn't stop it either…. so anyone know why I am constantly getting this trojan? and why does nothing stop it???????
Hi Candice :wavey:

Despite your "troubles", I hope you are doing well.

so anyone know why I am constantly getting this trojan? and why does nothing stop it???????


When do you get this Trojan alert? When scanning or while using a particular webpage?
If it keeps coming back, we should have a look on your surf and download habits. Otherwise
you might retire dear TomK before time is due :P

——————————————————————
Can see from what I've read, that you have had some small problems with the maintenance
plan. Its important, as good Tallin pointed out and as you have realised, that you take it in
small strides. If you rush things, chances are that you won't learn anything, at least nothing
that will stay for a longer time in memory B)

So, when / if, you face a problem, stop what you are doing. Go over it in your head what you were
supposed to do. If need be, write / print down some of the steps on paper, so you have the info
at hand. As always, you can write here, and get advice on it of course.

Have a nice and comfy day Candice ^_^
Heres a danish saying for you:

"At vove, er at miste fodfæstet et øjeblik - ikke at vove, er at miste sig selv"

"To dare, is to lose a foothold for a moment - not to dare, is to lose yourself"

Søren Kierkegaard.

Regards Abydos
AHHHH……. That has been my problem all my life, overcoming the fear of my own personal failure….I am daring in every other way, used to love challenges, like motorcycle riding, airplane gliding, never had a problem being open to new ways to stretch, but if it comes right down to my skill, my talent, my ability to put myself on the line….I freeze, failure is like a personal fault, a weakness to me….and I seem to have fallen into this mode of not even trying anymore….. but I did go out to a new poetry group in New York city this weekend, and I was a huge success, so I am feeling a bit braver…. It seemed like every time I came here, on MSN where I access this website, I would get a trojan hit….I got it on lycos, I got it on google….. I think I have gotten in on Verizon too, where my main email account is. It is very discouraging. And if the Zone Alarm isn't going to stop it, then I don't see any reason to put up with the constant freezing problem
I really don't recommend using zone alarm, but you have already installed it, and may have problems fully removing it.

Here's a good practice.

Use google to find out what these processes are, and make sure you use firefox with Web Of Trust installed when you do this.

if you recognize a process (if firefox asks to use the internet) allow it, unless you know it's not supposed to see the network.

Also, I don't really recommend using scotty the watch dog either. it is a useless program, because windows already has all that functionality built in, I would read up on how to check these without third party programs, as scotty slows down your pc, and can mess things up when you are installing programs. (plus it's downright annoying)

There is a thread, "so how did i get infected in the first place" that has a list of tested and favorited firewalls and antivirus programs.

if you are running into a stubborn trojan that is not being removed, I would post in the malware forums, if you haven't already. And if you have, sometimes, it's better off if you back up all your important data/files, and reinstalling from scratch (just make sure you have your drivers) with a full format (if you have a recovery partition, backup your stuff to a usb or cd, and restart and hit the key specified that will recover the system, usually F10)

But that is a last resort, because you will have to go and uninstall everything you don't use(norton, mcafee, etc), and reinstall everything you do use (firefox, avg, a GOOD firewall, etc).

But it is usually the most effective option.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI