This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Content Encoding Error in Firefox, distorted images

39 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

In your specific Content Encoding Error…

Google search finds that "some" folks are experiencing this at "some" websites.
It is thought to be possibly poor scripting of the website where instructions for what to expect to find as an image on the website is not exactly scripted the way the image actually occurs.

The "first" time you visit a page, your browser should download and display the image properly as it is presented.
Any "second" times you visit a page, your browser may access the downloaded image from the browser Cache folder.
This use of cached image may be provoking the conflict with website instruction scripting.

This condition is way over my head technically, and the only "sensible" work-arounds:
ctrl-F5
and
"clear browser cache"
only seem to work for "the first visit".

As Abydos has competently pointed out, we may need to wait for a "bug fix" from Firefox and Opera.

Do you experience the same problem with Internet Explorer?
Ok, I guess I'll leave the drivers alone for now.

I've removed the java thing from startup again.

In Everest 2.20…
Are you able to navigate to: Computer - Sensor
here's an image of what I am interested in:
[attachment removed]

I can, but that information simply does not show up for me.

Google search finds that "some" folks are experiencing this at "some" websites.
It is thought to be possibly poor scripting of the website where instructions for what to expect to find as an image on the website is not exactly scripted the way the image actually occurs.


Hmm. But why does it basically 'lock' the browser? Once it happens, it seems to wreck the whole browser. The only way I can get it to stabilise (and actually allow me to view websites…ANY websites…) is to REBOOT. It may very well be just a few websiets that are causing the problem, but once it does happen, it completely destabilizes all my browsers and won't let me do much of anything.

It doesn't display the same error message in Internet Explorer, no. But it does cause it to act bizarrely. Opera too. The screenshots I posted earlier give an idea of what happens.

Ctrl+F5 hasn't helped. Are you saying I should immediately clear the cache and exit Firefox the next time the encoding error shows up?

One reason I'm not yet convinced that it's simply a problem with a few websites (although you could be right of course) is that it had never happened before I installed this DSL connection and did all those updates and installs. I had the same browser. I was visiting a lot of the same sites in my previous place of residence and it wasn't a problem.

What are the chances that it's a conflict between programs? Do I still have too many security programs?

By my count, I've got:

Anti Virus: avast!
Software Firewall: ZoneAlarm
Anti spyware/malware: Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Hijackthis

I can, but that information simply does not show up for me.


Your Acer may have a proprietary Temps and Voltages monitor, or none at all.

I wouldn't know where to direct you to look.
Maybe in Screen Saver - Power Settings?

Are you saying I should immediately clear the cache and exit Firefox the next time the encoding error shows up?


No.
Seems that would be just as annoying as having to reboot your browser.
I have no solution but will continue to watch for any bugfix that may become available.
What sort of information are you seeking from sensor and how could it help resolve the problem? Ok. Who knows, these changes I've made today (startup, Java etc) could make a significant difference. Any other suggestions re: general performance based on my pcpitstop tests? I'll definitely defrag soon. That seems to be the main one. Thanks for all your help.
Since you posted with a visual display distortion, I started thinking - problem with Graphics Adapter.
What would cause distortion…
Faulty Graphics Adapter
Corrupted Graphics Driver
Bad RAM
Heat
Power Supply failures.

I was hoping that Everest would give you Sensor Report so we could view your Heat and voltage status.
_________________-

But since the "distortion" only more reliably when viewing particular sites, the problem is more likely to be "browser" related.
I'm presuming that you've never observed this same visual display distortion when using applications directly on your machine.?


single right click on the desktop, select peronalise.

Single left click on Display Settings.

When Display Settings pops up, single left click on the Advanced Settings button.

Click the Troubleshoot tab on the next pane

Consider moving the "slider" down to about 1/2 way and then resume browsing to see if the problem persists.
If the problem does persist, move the "slider" all the way down to None (no video hardware acceleration)
If that has no beneficial effect, then I've sent you on a "wild-goose-chase" and I apologize.
Return the Slider to original setting if you find no benefit.
It says "your current display driver does not allow changes to hardware acceleration".

I'm presuming that you've never observed this same visual display distortion when using applications directly on your machine.?

Correct.

I'll leave it at that for now. If I can get through today without any problems, then we're on the right path. Thanks again.

Will post more if anything major comes up.
Hi

Just tried the webpage Politics.IE which you showed in your screenshot.
Both my Firefox and Opera browser displayes the page without problems.
Does it happens every single time you try enter that page?

Opera have default settings.
My Firefox have a few tweaks, but nothing related to webpage display, other
than my NoScript and Adblock+ addons.

A thing you might want to check, is your current DirectX-version. Running Vista
you might have DX10, but only a few of Intel's chipsets with onboard graphic
supports it. Those being;

Microsoft DirectX* is a set of APIs (Application Programming Interface) for games and multimedia applications. Some DirectX components require support from the graphics driver in order to function properly and provide the best gaming performance.

Intel® graphics controllers are compatible with Microsoft DirectX* 9.0. Previous versions of DirectX (7.0a, 8.0, 8.1) are also supported.

DirectX* 10 is supported only with the desktop Intel® G35, G41, G43, & G45 Express Chipsets and Mobile Intel® GL40, GM45, GM965, and GS45 Express Chipsets when using the latest Intel® graphics drivers for Microsoft Windows Vista*.


Cut from: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/inte…b/CS-011807.htm

So, if you are running DX10, installing latest DX9 (Maybe the hybrid DX9L) may produce wonders.

Just a thought on my part, for a possible avenue to look into ;)

Regards Abydos
Thanks for the suggestion. When i go into display settings it says Intel 965. Does that mean it's the GM965 chipset? I updated to Intel graphics driver yesterday as per Doug's suggestion.

Just tried the webpage Politics.IE which you showed in your screenshot.
Both my Firefox and Opera browser displayes the page without problems.
Does it happens every single time you try enter that page?

No, more often than not it displays fine. The problem is that when it DOES happen, it causes all my browsers to become unstable (content encoding error, distorted images, random code and text displaying etc…) which requires a reboot before I can use them again. That's the central problem. All it takes is one error to throw everything off…

But so far today (and last night), it's been stable. Much longer than in the past so it's possible one of the tweaks I've made has solved the problem. It's too early to know for sure.

Thanks for the suggestion. When i go into display settings it says Intel 965. Does that mean it's the GM965 chipset?


I would believe so. :thumbup:

Just tried the webpage Politics.IE which you showed in your screenshot.
Both my Firefox and Opera browser displayes the page without problems.
Does it happens every single time you try enter that page?

No, more often than not it displays fine. The problem is that when it DOES happen, it causes all my browsers to become unstable (content encoding error, distorted images, random code and text displaying etc…) which requires a reboot before I can use them again. That's the central problem. All it takes is one error to throw everything off…


You might wanna try out IE for a period, just to see if it happens there as well. If it does, we can exclude any problems regarding browser settings. And redirect efforts into looking for a setting outside browsers.

But so far today (and last night), it's been stable. Much longer than in the past so it's possible one of the tweaks I've made has solved the problem. It's too early to know for sure.


Lets hope so :)

Regards Abydos
Unfortunately, the content encoding error has reappeared twice today. This is getting really frustrating!

You might wanna try out IE for a period, just to see if it happens there as well. If it does, we can exclude any problems regarding browser settings. And redirect efforts into looking for a setting outside browsers.

It's always the seem with Opera Browser. Like I said, as soon as Firefox becomes unstable I immediately open the Opera browser. It's always unstable as well. So it's not a specific Firefox problem from what I can tell.

Is IE7 even safe to use? It's been a couple of years s since I've used IE as my regular browser. I thought Microsoft issue a notice for people not to use their browsers a couple of months back. Due to some massive bug. ???
Danny,

Yes there was a massive alert a while back that provoked MS to issue an unusual "additional" critical update, rather than waiting for the next following Patch Tuesday.

But if you keep your OS updated via MS Updates, your IE is secure from that vulnerability.

Folks have been writing about the quality of IE 7 since it first came out.
It hasn't always been 100% favorable, but it is certainly approaching a par with alternate browsers such as Firefox.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/ie7_safe.asp
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/arti…afe_enough.html

As always, the biggest component of "safe surfing" is user common sense.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-…7-safe-use.html

With that said, you are already experiencing problems with browsing and may want some "extra insurance".
Consider giving this a read:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi…17201018AAtXHi9

Best Regards
Thanks for that, Doug. I think I'll switch to Opera and/or IE7 for awhile and give Firefox a rest. That way, I'll be able to see if the content encoding error or similar occurs with those browsers. Because as soon as Firefox goes wonky, it affects my entire internet connection. That is no longer in doubt since it also affects Outlook and other internet related programs. Not just the browsers.

I might also uninstall Firefox and reinstall the whole thing. Clearing the cache hasn't helped at all.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI