This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP Pro Install Loop

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I decided to reinstall windows xp (was using ubuntu) because I needed to run photoshop to get some web design stuff done for a company (yes I know I could have run it in wine but whatever). Windows initial setup runs fine (except the partition I want XP on is labeled D: and not C:, not sure if thats an issue) but when it restarts to begin the GUI part of the install it just loads the initial setup again. Now when the cd is in the drive I have no option to 'press any key to enter setup' it just loads right away. I unplugged all my peripherals that I didn't need, and tried it again but its just stuck in this loop. This happens with BOTH copies of windows XP that I have. I also ran fixmbr and fixboot from the repair console but that didn't help at all. If I boot without the cd in the drive it says Invalid Partition Table. Anybody have any experience with this, it seems somewhat common by a quick google search but none of the pages helped me whatsoever thanks in advance
Hi, sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing.
The quick answer if you just need to do a quick job, is to install Win XP on a different hard drive….if you don't have some spare ones anywhere, then they are now very cheap to buy so it's worth buying a new one.

The slightly longer solution is to have a look here, at the link below..but you will need to adjust your Grub boot loader (as described in the article)
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_a…alled_first.htm
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI