Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

XP install does not continue after reboot

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 olrac

olrac

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

Here's my problem: I have a Dell Dimension desktop on which Windows began to encounter constant glitches of one sort or another. Not long before these issues began, I had created a drive image using Paragon Drive Backup. When the issues really got out of hand (XP locking up suddenly with no way to fix except hard reboot, etc.), I could find little help online specific to my problems, so I decided that since I have that backup, I'd just do a clean re-install of XP (MCE 2003 - full, not upgrade) and then restore from the backup. However, every time that I run the XP installation from the CD at start-up, it gets through the point where it copies files to the hard drive and reboots, but when it restarts, nothing else happens. The screen just goes black and stays that way until I start over again. Now, the issue has advanced because the drive's been reformatted and the only way that I have to regain all of my files and programs is via the backup (on external drive)... but no XP, no backup. I went into the BIOS and confirmed that the boot sequence has the HDD as first priority, and I've even tried removing the CD before it restarts. Nothing so far has worked. Just for laughs, I decided to see if my copy of Vista would go through the entire install, and there were no issues at all, except that a couple of devices on this machine are not Vista-compatible. I tried with Ubuntu, as well, and also had no problems. I've tried full and quick formats, and run CHKDSK (when Vista was installed). There are no driver issues; the sound and graphics cards are the only hardware requiring additional drivers. As it currently stands, my PC has been re-formatted once again and has no OS on it. The XP install has again made it through the first reboot, and the machine just sits there taunting me with its blank screen and occasionally flashing LED. So... what's my next step?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:35 PM

Are you able to boot XP into SAFE Mode? I've read a few similar trouble reports via google. In those instances, the owner had physically upgraded the Graphics Adapter Card. The fresh install of XP did not have drivers and did not recognize the Card. Booting into SAFE Mode allows for minimum Drivers and should boot successfully. Then what? Go into Device Manager and uninstall the Display Adapter. Boot again. Your machine should now boot all the way into Normal Windows XP. (but will be in low resolution screen settings) From that point you should be able to complete Dell Chipset Driver installations and MS Updates. Next get the Driver for your Video Card and install. Keep us posted with your progress. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 olrac

olrac

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:05 PM

When I attempt to access the OS options at start-up, I get this message: "A disk read error occurred. Insert a system diskette and restart the system." I'm not able to boot in safe mode.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

Do you have any USB devices connected to the machine at the time of failure?
Probably not, just asking.

Does your machine have a Floppy Driver (A:\) Take any disks out.

It sometimes seems "mysterious" that Vista or even Linux can load and run, but XP doesn't.
That condition can occur if the master boot record is corrupted.
It is possible to "format" a hard drive, and still leave the master boot record corrupted.

The following Microsoft KB article provides instructions for the most likely errors your XP OS is having.

Follow the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503

Keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#5 olrac

olrac

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:53 AM

No USB devices, nothing in floppy drive. I've read over the MS support suggestions and have tried once so far with no luck. I was finally able to reach the OS selection screen and choose to start in Safe Mode, however XP never starts and I'm back to the blank screen. I'll make other attempts when I return home later.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:42 AM

Olrac, find out who the manufacturer of your hard drive is. Go to their web site and download the drive utility program. It should be available a a bootable CD .iso image. Create the CD then boo it. Run the drive diagnostic to make sure the drive is good then use it to erase/write 0s to the beginning and end of the drive. That will wipe out all partition info as well as any residual boot record. Not try the MCE install again, see if that helps. It's worked for me several times in recent weeks.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 olrac

olrac

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

Maybe someone here can help - I'm looking for that drive utility program but it's hard to find. The drive's been discontinued. Western Digital - WD-XL80 SATA By tapping F12 at start-up, I come to the boot device menu and have IDE Drive Diagnostics as an option. I can run this, but I get no helpful info from it. All other options on this screen result in the boot not commencing.

#8 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:57 PM

Hi Olrac

By tapping F12 at start-up, I come to the boot device menu and have IDE Drive Diagnostics as an option. I can run this, but I get no helpful info from it.

What sort of info do you get from it? Or does it just stops without anything further?

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#9 olrac

olrac

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:47 PM

Displays identification number for Drive 0 and states only "PASS". I found ptedit, but I'm unable to run it. At DOS prompt, I run ptedit, wait several moments, and then I'm back to the blank screen.

Edited by olrac, 09 February 2009 - 09:30 PM.

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:56 AM

Hi olrac, It would be worthwhile you checking if you made a Paragon bootable disc (for disaster recovery I.E. for use when Windows won't start) at the time you made your disc image . If so you can use this to boot into the Paragon mini operating system and restore your disc image from there: ( it is recommended that these discs are always made to help overcome the situation of a machine that just wont seem to boot into Windows!) If for some reason you didn't make a bootable disc at the time you made the disc image, may be you can make the bootable disc now on another machine that either has Paragon Drive Image installed on it or (providing you can find the Paragon set up executable or Installation disc) just install Paragon and then create the bootable disc. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 olrac

olrac

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

I did not make a bootable disk at the time of the backup. If I use another machine to make the bootable disk, does it need to have the same OS? I have a Vista machine and an XP machine with a different version.

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

I dont know what version of Paragon Drive Image you have...( its been around a few years now) so it may not work on Vista machine It might be worth trying....and if no joy then maybe a chum who has XP could install it and make the disc for you? Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#13 olrac

olrac

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

There's no problem with general compatibility - I use it to back up my Vista machine. I was only curious whether a bootable disk for XP could be made in Vista for an XP machine.

#14 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

Hi, I can't give you a view that will have universal application "some applications do...and some don't" Best thing is to try it and see...if no joy then its off to a chum's house to use her/his machine Regards paws.

#15 olrac

olrac

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

I created a recovery disk on an XP machine. As with so many other attempts so far, when I choose to boot from the floppy this time, I again get nothing but a blank screen. When I use DSRFIX to diagnose the problem, it states that conditions are fatal, and those cannot be solved by DSRFIX. Are there DOS commands that I could use to try to further diagnose the problem?