ephillips
Topic Starter
Software
IE7 "cannot display the webpage" error
5 min read
tallin
Hi ephillips,
Try post #2 of Zruker's at this link to see if it helps your PC connect to the internet.
Others will come by to assist you if the above does not help.
kind regards,
Try post #2 of Zruker's at this link to see if it helps your PC connect to the internet.
Others will come by to assist you if the above does not help.
kind regards,
ephillips
I did the Ztruker #2 ipconfig /all from a command prompt, but I cannot paste it to this forum since I am using my laptop & the prob is on the desktop. I compared my results w/ the other person's and they matched up except specific details like servers. I did a Start, Search : iexplorer.exe as well, with no results.
tallin
Hi,
Did you try System Restore at all?
What about the firewall have you tried to disable it and then connect.
Have you tried this:
To clear your DNS cache in Windows XP, at the command prompt, enter:
ipconfig /flushdns
By using the 'ipconfig /flushdns' command, you delete the contents of the DNS resolver cache, meaning that your system will now recheck its settings to see where it should be going to get DNS addresses.
http://kb.iu.edu/data/amoi.html
Keep us posted if it helps you.
kind regards,
Did you try System Restore at all?
What about the firewall have you tried to disable it and then connect.
Have you tried this:
To clear your DNS cache in Windows XP, at the command prompt, enter:
ipconfig /flushdns
By using the 'ipconfig /flushdns' command, you delete the contents of the DNS resolver cache, meaning that your system will now recheck its settings to see where it should be going to get DNS addresses.
http://kb.iu.edu/data/amoi.html
Keep us posted if it helps you.
kind regards,
Abydos
Hi
This is the Microsoft troubleshooting guide for that particular
error.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431
Regards Abydos
This is the Microsoft troubleshooting guide for that particular
error.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431
Regards Abydos
ephillips
Tallin,
I did the DNS clearing, checked the firewall and have restored it, but it's still getting nowhere. No changes to report
Thanks for the advice anyway.
Erin
ephillips
Abydos,
I went through that article and I am jusy not getting anywhere with it. I am not even getting the option at start to start in safe mode, it gives me the coices of normal start up or recovery console. Thanks for the help.
Erin
tallin
Did you try the System Restore suggestion?
Other volunteers may come by as I am all out of suggestions other than the above for you….sorry.
kind regards,
Abydos
Abydos,
I went through that article and I am jusy not getting anywhere with it. I am not even getting the option at start to start in safe mode, it gives me the coices of normal start up or recovery console. Thanks for the help.
Erin
Hi
If you are trying to access the safe-mode for your Computer, you should start tapping the F8 key right after
first BIOS screen or Beep, whichever comes first. (No windows CD needed)
Then you should get to a black DOS-like menu, use the arrow keys to navigate to safe-mode with network.
Hit enter, and windows will start up in safe-mode.
Remember to go to your security center at the control-panel and enable windows Firewall right away.
If that is not what you tried to tell me, please elaborate.
Regards Abydos
ephillips
I was able to start up in safe mode with networking, still can't get online. I went through the MS article you suggested again, checked my device manager, and tried another system restore. I'm now getting a message on the system restore "Your system cannot be restored to: Friday Jan 16, or the 17th or the 23rd, all days it was working correctly. This is beyond frustrating. I'm wondering if my Windows XP is not running correctly, if it's missing certain commands or files? Would that have an effect?
Thanks again,
Erin
Abydos
Hi ephillips (Erin)
Could you try and download a alternative browser. Its just to determine if
it is IE its wrong with, or a general failure.
FireFox
Opera
The alternative would be to uninstall IE7, and then re-install. Be sure
to have a copy of bookmarks etc. if you go that way first.
Regards Abydos
Could you try and download a alternative browser. Its just to determine if
it is IE its wrong with, or a general failure.
FireFox
Opera
The alternative would be to uninstall IE7, and then re-install. Be sure
to have a copy of bookmarks etc. if you go that way first.
Regards Abydos
Ztruker
Erin, please follow the instructions here to use the ping command. Post back with results.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Windows_101_t99251.html
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Windows_101_t99251.html
ephillips
Abydos,
I tried to install mozilla foxfire, and it loads up just like IE7, but won't go to the internet. I was told by someone else that I should reinstall MS Windows XP anf that pertinent files may be missing, which could cause the internet to not run properly.
Ztruker,
I will attempt your post in the morning. Thanks for your help.
Thanks again,
Erin
Ztruker
ephillips, before you take the drastic step of reinstalling XP, try running the System File Checker (SFC).
Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter or click Go. If any missing or damaged files are found, they will be replaced from files on your XP CD, which it will prompt you for. If no problems are found it just exits.
Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter or click Go. If any missing or damaged files are found, they will be replaced from files on your XP CD, which it will prompt you for. If no problems are found it just exits.
oldman960
Run, then typed in iexplorer.exe and I get the pop-up message that Windows cannot find "iexplorer.exe"
Is this a typo? The file you want is iexplore.exe, but I would say it was on your computer as you can start IE.
What firewall are you using?
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI