Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

IE7 "cannot display the webpage" error

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ephillips

ephillips

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

:pullhair: I have a desktop & laptop computer both using cable internet. The laptop is wireless & is working fine & IE7 opens and operates normally. My desktop will not open the internet as of Saturday afternoon (it worked Sat. morning). I keep getting "cannot display the webpage". I opened internet tools, check that I was not working offline, checked the advanced tab to see that "Use SSL 3.0 & Use TLS 1.0 were ticked. Under the Connections tab, the LAN settings is set to Automatically detect settings. In the Network Diagnostics area of Help & Support, I scanned my system and it says IE web proxy : not configured (I don't know if that helps). I went to START, Run, then typed in iexplorer.exe and I get the pop-up message that Windows cannot find "iexplorer.exe" I realize that's most likely the issue, but how did it just diappear? It was working fine, then I tried to open it an hour after closing it and it was gone. If my wireless laptop can get online, shouldn't my desktop? What to do, please help... Thanks so much!!!! Erin

Edited by ephillips, 26 January 2009 - 09:59 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

Hi ephillips,

Try post #2 of Zruker's at this link to see if it helps your PC connect to the internet.

Others will come by to assist you if the above does not help.

kind regards,

#3 ephillips

ephillips

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

I did the Ztruker #2 ipconfig /all from a command prompt, but I cannot paste it to this forum since I am using my laptop & the prob is on the desktop. I compared my results w/ the other person's and they matched up except specific details like servers. I did a Start, Search : iexplorer.exe as well, with no results.

#4 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:13 AM

Hi,

Did you try System Restore at all?

What about the firewall have you tried to disable it and then connect.

Have you tried this:

To clear your DNS cache in Windows XP, at the command prompt, enter:
ipconfig /flushdns

By using the 'ipconfig /flushdns' command, you delete the contents of the DNS resolver cache, meaning that your system will now recheck its settings to see where it should be going to get DNS addresses.

http://kb.iu.edu/data/amoi.html

Keep us posted if it helps you.

kind regards,

#5 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:19 AM

Hi

This is the Microsoft troubleshooting guide for that particular
error.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431

Regards Abydos

Abydos

Asking for Technical Help

Preventing Malware Slow PC? Recovery Console!

"I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

#6 ephillips

ephillips

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:13 AM

Tallin, I did the DNS clearing, checked the firewall and have restored it, but it's still getting nowhere. No changes to report :( Thanks for the advice anyway. Erin

#7 ephillips

ephillips

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

Abydos, I went through that article and I am jusy not getting anywhere with it. I am not even getting the option at start to start in safe mode, it gives me the coices of normal start up or recovery console. Thanks for the help. Erin

#8 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:39 PM

Did you try the System Restore suggestion? Other volunteers may come by as I am all out of suggestions other than the above for you....sorry. kind regards,

#9 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

Abydos,
I went through that article and I am jusy not getting anywhere with it. I am not even getting the option at start to start in safe mode, it gives me the coices of normal start up or recovery console. Thanks for the help.
Erin

Hi

If you are trying to access the safe-mode for your Computer, you should start tapping the F8 key right after
first BIOS screen or Beep, whichever comes first. (No windows CD needed)
Then you should get to a black DOS-like menu, use the arrow keys to navigate to safe-mode with network.
Hit enter, and windows will start up in safe-mode.

Remember to go to your security center at the control-panel and enable windows Firewall right away.

If that is not what you tried to tell me, please elaborate.

Regards Abydos

Edited by Abydos, 27 January 2009 - 01:12 PM.

Abydos

#10 ephillips

ephillips

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

I was able to start up in safe mode with networking, still can't get online. I went through the MS article you suggested again, checked my device manager, and tried another system restore. I'm now getting a message on the system restore "Your system cannot be restored to: Friday Jan 16, or the 17th or the 23rd, all days it was working correctly. This is beyond frustrating. I'm wondering if my Windows XP is not running correctly, if it's missing certain commands or files? Would that have an effect? :blink: Thanks again, Erin

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Abydos

Abydos

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:50 AM

Hi ephillips (Erin)

Could you try and download a alternative browser. Its just to determine if
it is IE its wrong with, or a general failure.

FireFox
Opera

The alternative would be to uninstall IE7, and then re-install. Be sure
to have a copy of bookmarks etc. if you go that way first.

Regards Abydos

Abydos

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

Erin, please follow the instructions here to use the ping command. Post back with results.

http://forums.whatth...101_t99251.html

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#13 ephillips

ephillips

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:07 PM

Abydos, I tried to install mozilla foxfire, and it loads up just like IE7, but won't go to the internet. I was told by someone else that I should reinstall MS Windows XP anf that pertinent files may be missing, which could cause the internet to not run properly. Ztruker, I will attempt your post in the morning. Thanks for your help. Thanks again, Erin

#14 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

ephillips, before you take the drastic step of reinstalling XP, try running the System File Checker (SFC).

Click on Start then Run, type sfc /scannow and press Enter or click Go. If any missing or damaged files are found, they will be replaced from files on your XP CD, which it will prompt you for. If no problems are found it just exits.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#15 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Run, then typed in iexplorer.exe and I get the pop-up message that Windows cannot find "iexplorer.exe"

Is this a typo? The file you want is iexplore.exe, but I would say it was on your computer as you can start IE.

What firewall are you using?

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroon
If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg
Curiosity didn't kill the cat. Ignorance did, curiosity was framed.
Learn how to protect Yourself

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days.